Reviews for A Beleriand Treasury of Childish Tales
chisscientist chapter 2 . 4/19/2009
Very nice. Lord Dunsany is very hard to imitate, or so I am told.
chisscientist chapter 3 . 4/19/2009
I can imagine this happening quite easily. Well done.
ninqwestilmen chapter 1 . 4/17/2009
An incredibly delightful story! Are you sure you’re not Kipling in disguise? Or at the least his reincarnation? I thoroughly enjoyed this compilation and in particular this chapter. And the pictures! What a wonderful idea.

It took me long enough to start reading your works, and now I’m 'irrevocably' hooked.
Charli800 chapter 3 . 4/13/2009
I enjoyed the interactions between Thorin and Gandalf particularly in this one. They were very typical and characteristic.

I liked Bilbo, and I liked this line particularly: "“Funny! that sounds elvish!” said Bilbo, and accidentally said it aloud." I do think that he might be a little too knowledgeable for this point in his journey, but he is essentially Bilbo throughout.

The style is at times a good enough imitation that I can almost believe that it is Tolkien himself, but it does sometimes tend more toward the childish than I would consider the Hobbit to be.

However, that didn't interfere with your very interesting plot. I liked the story and the idea, though I must confess, I liked Gandalf and Thorin more!

A couple of phrases that I found slightly awkward:

"a very bad insult" - 'bad' i a little ambiguous here, since it could mean that the insult didn't succeed in being insulting. Clearly it doesn't, but the ambiguity is slightly off-putting.

"his cosy hole" - I expected hobbit hole here, but it may be that I need to reread the hobbit.

Happy writing,

Eleve Osirian chapter 3 . 4/10/2009
Strange, I thought I had reviewed this before...was I thinking of a different story you wrote? S

I enjoyed reading it - I never finished the hobbit, mainly because I found that it didn't hold my attention, but this story did for the most part. For someone who doesn't really know these characters, you've fleshed them out well here. I can just imagine the look on Thorin's face at Bilbo's comment! xD

A few things:

The first paragraph was good, but I found that every line was long. It's not incorrect, mind you, but for me personally, I like a bit of variation in sentence length, as it seems to make it easier for readers to take in.

that - should be That (capitalized)

"said Bilbo, and accidentally said it aloud."- not sure if this is how things are written in canon, but in case they're not written as such, I would reword it; you don't need to include two said's.

The big block of text where Thorin is speaking of Kazad-dum is a bit daunting. Is there any way at all you could break it up just a bit? To me, it felt like the dwarf was rambling on, and again, my attention strayed. It's good, all the things that are mentioned there are interesting, it's just that for some, it's something that's going to be overlooked, which could be bad if there's needed info in there.

I loved the ending- great job on that bit. Fills me with warm fuzzies to read this. Why? Because it reminds me of my childhood somehow D
Thranduil Oropherion Redux chapter 2 . 4/9/2009
This story is an example of how effective the distant third person/narrator POV can be in skilled hands. Your language is elegant, poetic and evocative, never approaching the purple.

Trying not to give anything away, the final sentence of the penultimate paragraph is a masterpiece of horrific foreshadowing.

Nicely done!

One minor quibble here - "And in the streets grew weeds that had not or the King and all the people went out of Vinyamar in the land of Nevrast."

I tripped over that sentence. Is there a missing word, perhaps?
Araloth the Random chapter 1 . 4/7/2009
I really can't think of anything to say except - I love it! The 'sclusively yellow hair had me cracking up every time I read it - very Kipling-esque! Please continue.
Gogol chapter 1 . 3/28/2009
Kipling has Tolkien's babies? Can I have /yours/? I mean. Ahem. There is honestly no end to my love for this. I don't really have anything useful to say, I just (Goldilocks’s most ’sclusively yellow hair (now you know why you were not to forget the hair!)! *squ-e-e-es embarrassingly*) adore it. Brilliant conc- (and the mock illustrations with illustrations! *more shameful gushing*) -ept and brilliant execution. This is genius, basically. 'Nuff said.
Charli800 chapter 2 . 3/28/2009
I have not yet observed the illumination of Lord Dunsany, but I enjoyed this despite that. (Oh, a little research shows that there's a sort of pun there, which I nearly missed. How clever. And that explains "asdarinthine" too. I need to read more.)

I like the way you introduce the snippets; I can just imagine two elflings listening attentively at story time. It seems much more likely that history was first learned like than through a dry old tome like The Silmarillion proper. In fact, I think I may even understand the history of Middle Earth better after reading this!

This sentence:

confused me. Is the "or" right? I sort of expected it to be "ere", but the syntax is convoluted enough that I struggle to follow anyway - it's fun like that, just occasionally confusing too!

I'm favouriting this.

Happy writing,

chisscientist chapter 1 . 3/22/2009
Very entertaining. I'm not too familiar with Kipling, but this does feel like what I remember. I don't think 'statelily' is a word so you might want to change that. I like the three bears references, and the comment about Kings being like that. I also like the use of goldilocks for Glorfindel, since it is pretty much a translation of his name. Thank you for writing.
Charli800 chapter 1 . 3/22/2009
Oh, oh, oh! That was glorious. It contained all the good elements of a children's story such as death, war and violence. Also pictures, of course. I liked the pictures.

As an apostrophephile, I am most appreciative of the 'slusively yellow hair. You have a number of wonderful phrases that people are going to look at me weirdly for, when I start quoting them. However, the writing has such a wonderfully whimsical ring to it - partly the Kipling and partly your own style - that I shan't restrain myself.

There was one typo that I spotted - ". . .beside him is Goldilocks (you must particularly remember his hair).The warden Ecthelion. . ." is missing a space.

You managed the hair masterfully. It's a classic gun on the mantelpiece. You pushed it about as far as it can go, but stopped short of being exactly cheesy.

The only warning I have is that I hope you keep putting in the names of the original stories/passages, so that the somewhat clueless, such as me, may go and check what really happened.

Thranduil Oropherion Redux chapter 1 . 3/22/2009
It's been a while since I read Kipling - other than his horrid poetry - but you have the voice just right.

What a charming story! I wouldn't change a word.

Any chance of seeing those pictures for real?
72 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5