Reviews for Substitutes and Surrogates
blaineanderson chapter 2 . 3/22/2009
Is it oh so wrong, that it occurred to me- more than once while I was reading it- that this wasn't an M-rated fic, and that I found myself just the tiniest bit disappointed? Then again, what do you expect- especially after that whole stairwell thing...?

Again, with the shifting point of view. It paves the way for some very intricate, story-telling on your part. I particularly liked the little self-confessed thoughts, like:

“Another thing he does just like his father. Except Booth drools on my throw, not on a stuffed dinosaur.”

Heh. Oh, and did I mention that Bert the Triceratops put a grin on my face? 'Cause he did.
Labyrinth01 chapter 2 . 3/22/2009
I am so glad you made this Magpie's Nest into a whole story! And switching the POV to Parker at the end was brilliant. I hope you are continuing with this great story, because I personally would like to see Bones and Booth sleeping somewhere besides the couch!
bearlee-there chapter 2 . 3/22/2009
I'm thanking God for blatant beggars and thanking you (and your muse) for listening.

I laughed:

"That's dumb, Bones. You're sad when you're by yourself, and Dad's sad when he's by himself and you guys should totally be boyfriend and girlfriend and then? You can sleep over at Dad's house and we can all have pancakes for breakfast."

A small hysterical part of my mind says he's a Booth, alright, all his arguments involve feeding me at the end.

I cried:

"Well, you're too young to be my boyfriend no matter what, so you were kind of offering to be a substitute, ...I think you're very special and very much the real thing. There's no substitute for you, Parker, not that way. No matter what happens with your Mom and Dad or who their boyfriends and girlfriends are, you make me wish I was lucky enough to be your Mom. But sometimes, it hurts to be a substitute. Sometimes, you just want to be the real thing to someone. And when you're not, well, it hurts to be reminded you aren't. So tonight, Parker, I just want to go home and take a hot bath and try to think about all the things that I am to people rather than all the things that I'm not. Can you let me do that, pal?"

Booth gets a clue. THE clue and finally, finally does what he should have done in the bathroom had he been smart enough to listen to Parker. LOL

The recurring bit about Dan's moms made me chuckle. It's a testament to all the folks who raise Parker that he doesn't even consider that would be unusual or a problem.

Parker's inner dialogue was an absolutely perfect ending for *this* fic.

Wouldn't it be nice if they just talked to each other and it didn't take the simple insight of a child for the truth to come out?

Thanks for posting, :)
hpaich chapter 2 . 3/22/2009
Chapter One was like a fist squeezing my heart. I closely identify with Brennan, so what hurts her hurts me.

Chapter Two - well, I'm still dazed from the angst of both chapters, but a weak smile is beginning to pop through, and I know that when I've recovered, I'll be reading this every other day. What a wonderful story.

The relationship between Booth and Parker is spot on, and I love your characterization of Parker as a bit of a mini-Booth. Now Brennan has TWO men who aren't letting go, no matter what happens. Lucky, lucky woman.

Any chance of a third chapter?
Writer Unblocked chapter 2 . 3/22/2009
I love this chapter even more than the first one. Scientific American light reading? Haha.

I also love Parker, the angst, Booth finally getting it, the kissing, uh...pretty much the entire thing was fantastic!
doresz chapter 2 . 3/22/2009
Oh my God, the Parker cuteness exploded! This is great! Incredible! Parker's got to be the cutest kid ever, I wish we'd see him more on Bones. Wonder what he could do paired up with Angela :D

It was great that you wrote he picked up stuff from the squints, mostly from Max and Bones. Poor (?) Booth, he's out of his mind, his son is turning into a squint.

I was sad to see the story end in Magpie's Nest, so I was really happy to get the alert that you made it into an independent story. Chapter 2 was great. What I wouldn't give to see this on the show.

As always, I love the way you write BB. Simply amazing! Thank you!
DoctorSweets chapter 2 . 3/22/2009
Thank you thank you thank you thank you :)
lrigD chapter 2 . 3/22/2009
OK, cutest story EVER. This one's definitely going to be one of my favourites.

I'm so glad you listened to us wise readers (lol) and decided to make this into a two-part (or more-part? Don't think so, but you can always hope...). I loved this story so much :) Parker was incredibly cute in a mini-Booth kind of way, and I don't have a lot of experience with 6 year old boys (or whatever age he is), but I'd say he's pretty realistic, too. And ... I can't think of any more words, except THANK YOU!
98 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7