Reviews for The Stone Gryphon, Part 1: Oxfordshire 1942
HannahKathleen chapter 4 . 2/13
Stumbled onto this fanfic quite by accident when looking for some good Narnian fics to read, so far, I'm really enjoying it. :) Good job! Not often do I find well thought out and written OCs, especially in Narnian fics, for some reason... :P
LadyBritish chapter 16 . 12/20/2015
This was an absolutely jaw-dropping read, sir!

The grammar was astounding - picky punctuation and syntax freak that I am could find no flaws or mistakes whatsoever, and that is (sadly) a significant rarity on this site.

Your historical accuracy in terms of speech etc is lovely and the attention to detail makes me want to jump through your computer screen, give you a heart attack and leave a digestive biscuit on your desk or whatever flat surface is closest to you...and no, not the floor! Eugh!

I adore how accurately you write each and every character. I am in love with your writing style! It's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! ;)
Monsters of NY chapter 16 . 10/24/2015
As mentioned, I have now reread the story, and all the repetition has done is reassure me that this is some fantastic-magnificent, even-work.

While there's a lot to appreciate about a work like this-the research, the characterization, the cleverness-I think my very favorite aspect of "Oxfordshire 1942" is the complete lack of manufactured drama. You have rare confidence in your / Lewis' characters and your writing; where another writer would be tempted to have the characters work at cross-purposes-either intentionally or out of well-intentioned stupidity-in an attempt to bring some conflict into the story you believe, correctly, that their everyday jobs and interactions are enough to carry the book. Not only is it refreshing, it also has the effect of making the characters feel as smart as they're supposed to be, which is something that is far rarer than it should be.
Monsters of NY chapter 7 . 10/22/2015
As always, your work rewards re-reading and attention to detail; I don't at all recall what impression this particular chapter left on me when I initially read it, but I assume it must not have been much of one, not having the barest clue who Dinan was supposed to be or how she fit into the rest of the generally sparkling narrative of "Oxforshire 1942". How, with "who the heck is Dinan?" answered by "Harold and Morgan" and "Rejection of the Terms", this chapter can now shine, and shine it does.
Guest chapter 5 . 4/26/2015
I love the deep knowledge each of these characters imparts to Peter
Guest chapter 4 . 4/26/2015
I love how you have matured the Pevensies into well-rounded, wise, interesting monarchs and that these traits translate so beautifully into the modern English society.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/26/2015
Is it coincidence that you chose the name Mary Russell? You might like the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King.
Julia chapter 2 . 2/11/2015
Only two chapters in and I'm speechless (well, not really or this would be a lot shorter). This is just so damn good! The writing seems (to my admittedly inexperienced eye) period appropriate and it reads like a dream. But the characters, oh my! They are just so vivid, I swear they leap off the page and they feel so real already, like real people with lives and stories. I can't wait to see where this goes! I'll review again at the end but I just wanted to let you know that I'm already hooked!
Saoirse7 chapter 10 . 8/28/2014
It's very interesting, going back and rereading after having read the others, such as H&M. But it just means that I enjoy these side stories even more. Well, enjoy in a relative sense that I appreciate them, but am sad at remembering Merle and Morgan and everyone else. Still a great story, though! :)
noagnes chapter 11 . 11/4/2013
I love the marital advice Lucy is getting from her married friends. Would that many unsure and unprepared human girls get such wise words preparing for marriage - there would be less divorce and ruined families! (of course, heeding that advice and making the effort of love is still necessary from the couple themselves :) )
dreamflower02 chapter 16 . 8/27/2013
I can see this story has been complete for a few years, still I hope it will please you to know that it completely held me in thrall the livelong day.

This makes so much sense. It truly *feels* like what could have happened to the Pevensies after Narnia. I also love your OCs. In many ways they remind me of the adult characters in "That Hideous Strength" from Lewis' Ransom trilogy, well-drawn and with many layers to them. Asim is marvelous, and I am now looking forward to reading the next part.

Thank you for the lovely story.
Hilariter chapter 4 . 7/11/2013
Different points of view! Excellent.
Dumb question, what are the ellipses in Edmund's letter standing in for? Continuing academic questioning unrelated to plot is my guess, but unsubstantiated.
Saoirse7 chapter 15 . 4/17/2013
At last, I have come to the end of this one. But the end of one adventure is always the beginning of the next one. :) I shall be off to Queen Susan soon. One thing I did want to mention is that I do love the cultural things you've thrown in here, along with the languages. I noticed the Arabic and have enjoyed the Latin, as well.
shouldabeenadog chapter 16 . 4/14/2013
Despite very little actually happening, You've built an excellent reverse mystery story. The audience knows the mystery, and instead we focus on learning more about those trying to solve it. Cunning, very cunning. You did a very good job with verisimilitude, the characters felt like real people instead of cardboard-cutouts; always tricky when reusing historical figures. I look forward to perusing the rest of the series.
SolemnMarauder chapter 16 . 4/10/2013
Ooh! I've been looking forward to this part of your storyline since it was mentioned that Susan and Edmund would be corresponding by cipher :) I expect though, that I will be reading it all in one go with little to no breaks in between, and so I should take a break.
I want to know what happens!
Asim is a spy, I knew that but, he intercepted Susan's letter to Edmund? And didn't mention a word to Peter? Poor Peter, he must be feeling so betrayed. :(
I will c