Reviews for The Stone Gryphon, Part 1: Oxfordshire 1942
Orange et Blue Morality chapter 2 . 9/8/2016
There is just so much richness in this chapter that I know I can reread it and find things I haven't quite noticed before. Creation myths! I love creation myths and the way Mary tries to analyse the details on the Wardrobe to determine which one it came from. Also, Mary really is a one-woman hurricane, isn't she? I'd be just as overwhelmed as Peter if I happened to bump into her (or more probable, if she happened to run over me).

Also I like the way you write Peter! He's true to all his Selves. The one most dominant now is of course Peter the Student, but never far from the surface is Peter the High King. Excellent method of introduction Asim bin Kalil too, by the way. Peter-the-King-and-warrior came to the fore and I like how he and Asim understands each other _perfectly_, even if no one else in the room gets what they were doing. I like how it reflects the fact that both had lived in cultures and places where it makes perfect sense to go to most places armed with blades.

The tale of all fossils in plaster casts resting in Mary and Richard's dwelling is very intriguing indeed. As was the story of all those poor books Mary had chucked all over the place around the world (the bibliophile in me is cringing about all those leather binding left to the mercies of the weather). I love how Richard and Mary knew that Digory had A Secret, even if they don't really know what it was about.
Orange et Blue Morality chapter 1 . 9/8/2016
I can't tell you how excited I am that you're trying to write the Pevensies as they grow up. Narnia is great and all, and death is the next great adventure after life, but one can't really say that the Pevensies are done living if they died as teenagers. Growing up is an adventure of its own! So, allow be to begin by raising a toast to your valiant efforts, the characterisations that held true and detail that are immersive.

"Professor Digory Kirke, distinguished holder of the Barnett Chair in High Medieval Theology" _of course_ he'd be in high medieval theology. That makes so much sense.

I'm already drawn in by the letter and even the sketch of these new dramatis personae that Professor Diggory had just made up on the spot.

"I believe the reason Richard is not still curator here with his own endowed chair is because it is widely reported that he has an African common law wife." That piece of academic gossip felt so real, that I could feel myself grinning as I hear that. I like how the scandal attached to the man is certainly reflective of the era. I'm more in Peter's camp, though, and consider it as a marker that there's an interesting story and an interesting man behind all that. Also, I love mentions of All. The Digs. And Expeditions.

All of them. The environment is not mere backdrop for the characters but also affect and influence them (and are affected and influenced by them).

"I suppose to do such a things a woman would have to be forceful. In England, anyway," Too true, but I'm glad that Peter is actually able to see and acknowledge that.

On an unrelated note, I don't suppose you have an AO3 account?
Prince Pondincherry chapter 6 . 8/15/2016
I see you've had a lot of fun with more modern scientific discoveries. It is a shame that Peter couldn't have advanced the field of biology. I wonder what he was actually planning on doing with his life at this point? Surely he didn't know he'd be called to Aslan's land so soon?
HannahKathleen chapter 4 . 2/13/2016
Stumbled onto this fanfic quite by accident when looking for some good Narnian fics to read, so far, I'm really enjoying it. :) Good job! Not often do I find well thought out and written OCs, especially in Narnian fics, for some reason... :P
LadyBritish chapter 16 . 12/20/2015
This was an absolutely jaw-dropping read, sir!

The grammar was astounding - picky punctuation and syntax freak that I am could find no flaws or mistakes whatsoever, and that is (sadly) a significant rarity on this site.

Your historical accuracy in terms of speech etc is lovely and the attention to detail makes me want to jump through your computer screen, give you a heart attack and leave a digestive biscuit on your desk or whatever flat surface is closest to you...and no, not the floor! Eugh!

I adore how accurately you write each and every character. I am in love with your writing style! It's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! ;)
Monsters of NY chapter 16 . 10/24/2015
As mentioned, I have now reread the story, and all the repetition has done is reassure me that this is some fantastic-magnificent, even-work.

While there's a lot to appreciate about a work like this-the research, the characterization, the cleverness-I think my very favorite aspect of "Oxfordshire 1942" is the complete lack of manufactured drama. You have rare confidence in your / Lewis' characters and your writing; where another writer would be tempted to have the characters work at cross-purposes-either intentionally or out of well-intentioned stupidity-in an attempt to bring some conflict into the story you believe, correctly, that their everyday jobs and interactions are enough to carry the book. Not only is it refreshing, it also has the effect of making the characters feel as smart as they're supposed to be, which is something that is far rarer than it should be.
Monsters of NY chapter 7 . 10/22/2015
As always, your work rewards re-reading and attention to detail; I don't at all recall what impression this particular chapter left on me when I initially read it, but I assume it must not have been much of one, not having the barest clue who Dinan was supposed to be or how she fit into the rest of the generally sparkling narrative of "Oxforshire 1942". How, with "who the heck is Dinan?" answered by "Harold and Morgan" and "Rejection of the Terms", this chapter can now shine, and shine it does.
Guest chapter 5 . 4/26/2015
I love the deep knowledge each of these characters imparts to Peter
Guest chapter 4 . 4/26/2015
I love how you have matured the Pevensies into well-rounded, wise, interesting monarchs and that these traits translate so beautifully into the modern English society.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/26/2015
Is it coincidence that you chose the name Mary Russell? You might like the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King.
Julia chapter 2 . 2/11/2015
Only two chapters in and I'm speechless (well, not really or this would be a lot shorter). This is just so damn good! The writing seems (to my admittedly inexperienced eye) period appropriate and it reads like a dream. But the characters, oh my! They are just so vivid, I swear they leap off the page and they feel so real already, like real people with lives and stories. I can't wait to see where this goes! I'll review again at the end but I just wanted to let you know that I'm already hooked!
Saoirse7 chapter 10 . 8/28/2014
It's very interesting, going back and rereading after having read the others, such as H&M. But it just means that I enjoy these side stories even more. Well, enjoy in a relative sense that I appreciate them, but am sad at remembering Merle and Morgan and everyone else. Still a great story, though! :)
noagnes chapter 11 . 11/4/2013
I love the marital advice Lucy is getting from her married friends. Would that many unsure and unprepared human girls get such wise words preparing for marriage - there would be less divorce and ruined families! (of course, heeding that advice and making the effort of love is still necessary from the couple themselves :) )
dreamflower02 chapter 16 . 8/27/2013
I can see this story has been complete for a few years, still I hope it will please you to know that it completely held me in thrall the livelong day.

This makes so much sense. It truly *feels* like what could have happened to the Pevensies after Narnia. I also love your OCs. In many ways they remind me of the adult characters in "That Hideous Strength" from Lewis' Ransom trilogy, well-drawn and with many layers to them. Asim is marvelous, and I am now looking forward to reading the next part.

Thank you for the lovely story.
Hilariter chapter 4 . 7/11/2013
Different points of view! Excellent.
Dumb question, what are the ellipses in Edmund's letter standing in for? Continuing academic questioning unrelated to plot is my guess, but unsubstantiated.