Reviews for The Stone Gryphon, Part 1: Oxfordshire 1942
I love the deep knowledge each of these characters imparts to Peter
I love how you have matured the Pevensies into well-rounded, wise, interesting monarchs and that these traits translate so beautifully into the modern English society.
Is it coincidence that you chose the name Mary Russell? You might like the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King.
Julia chapter 2 . 2/11
Only two chapters in and I'm speechless (well, not really or this would be a lot shorter). This is just so damn good! The writing seems (to my admittedly inexperienced eye) period appropriate and it reads like a dream. But the characters, oh my! They are just so vivid, I swear they leap off the page and they feel so real already, like real people with lives and stories. I can't wait to see where this goes! I'll review again at the end but I just wanted to let you know that I'm already hooked!
Saoirse7 chapter 10 . 8/28/2014
It's very interesting, going back and rereading after having read the others, such as H&M. But it just means that I enjoy these side stories even more. Well, enjoy in a relative sense that I appreciate them, but am sad at remembering Merle and Morgan and everyone else. Still a great story, though! :)
noagnes chapter 11 . 11/4/2013
I love the marital advice Lucy is getting from her married friends. Would that many unsure and unprepared human girls get such wise words preparing for marriage - there would be less divorce and ruined families! (of course, heeding that advice and making the effort of love is still necessary from the couple themselves :) )
dreamflower02 chapter 16 . 8/27/2013
I can see this story has been complete for a few years, still I hope it will please you to know that it completely held me in thrall the livelong day.

This makes so much sense. It truly *feels* like what could have happened to the Pevensies after Narnia. I also love your OCs. In many ways they remind me of the adult characters in "That Hideous Strength" from Lewis' Ransom trilogy, well-drawn and with many layers to them. Asim is marvelous, and I am now looking forward to reading the next part.

Thank you for the lovely story.
Hilariter chapter 4 . 7/11/2013
Different points of view! Excellent.
Dumb question, what are the ellipses in Edmund's letter standing in for? Continuing academic questioning unrelated to plot is my guess, but unsubstantiated.
Saoirse7 chapter 15 . 4/17/2013
At last, I have come to the end of this one. But the end of one adventure is always the beginning of the next one. :) I shall be off to Queen Susan soon. One thing I did want to mention is that I do love the cultural things you've thrown in here, along with the languages. I noticed the Arabic and have enjoyed the Latin, as well.
shouldabeenadog chapter 16 . 4/14/2013
Despite very little actually happening, You've built an excellent reverse mystery story. The audience knows the mystery, and instead we focus on learning more about those trying to solve it. Cunning, very cunning. You did a very good job with verisimilitude, the characters felt like real people instead of cardboard-cutouts; always tricky when reusing historical figures. I look forward to perusing the rest of the series.
SolemnMarauder chapter 16 . 4/10/2013
Ooh! I've been looking forward to this part of your storyline since it was mentioned that Susan and Edmund would be corresponding by cipher :) I expect though, that I will be reading it all in one go with little to no breaks in between, and so I should take a break.
I want to know what happens!
Asim is a spy, I knew that but, he intercepted Susan's letter to Edmund? And didn't mention a word to Peter? Poor Peter, he must be feeling so betrayed. :(
I will c
SolemnMarauder chapter 15 . 4/10/2013
Oh it's over :( but there's more to look forward to so yay :)
I enjoyed this chapter very much, though there was a cliffhanger. Of course Peter would visit as soon as he heard, he would want to be with his siblings.
Asim, Peter's logistics man! Amazing.
Mary is still not able to SEE, is she? Poor thing must think that the world has gone mad, what with everyone she knows and respects deferring to a 16 year old boy(who he is to her)
Also, all the Indian food you mentioned, I haven't heard of pav bhaji mentioned by anybody who isn't Indian or in the catering business. Kudos. (Same with the Dosas and sambar)
I see that there is an epilogue(more of a hint of what's to come, I guess, and will read that before taking a break)
See you
SolemnMarauder chapter 14 . 4/10/2013
What Asim feels about Lawrence, I feel about Gandhi. Both movements were bigger than just one person. There were other great people.
I particularly enjoyed this chapter, especially since within it, is discussed the Russell household's(non-English part) reaction to Peter's reaction to one of them. Poor Asim though. While he certainly understands more than Mary, and perhaps more than anybody who has not been to Narnia, I think that he wants to know just where Peter got that "god-light" (if U'll allow me to use that term)
It is awesome, written beautifully as always :)
P.S. also, my previous review was incomplete. I just wanted to say that Mary needed to grow up a bit :)
SolemnMarauder chapter 13 . 4/10/2013
Hmm. Interesting indeed. How you can talk about Latin and theology and go on to dinosaurs and hips of reptiles, and still make it work! I don't get it :)
Mary really wants to know, doesn't she? Just like Polly said to Richard, she needs to grow u
SolemnMarauder chapter 12 . 4/10/2013
A refreshing, different point of view indeed. I enjoyed that, although the encounter raised a few questions. Was Polly in love with Richard? I thought you insinuated it a bit, in certain lines. And the Bird and Goat banter :) so lovely, they are good friends aren't they?
Also, the maiden aunt bit was amusing :)