Reviews for Broken Faith
dontgiveahoot chapter 38 . 8/27/2011
Time Crash by itself is awesome, and Time Crash with Martha added is even more awesome.
dontgiveahoot chapter 37 . 8/27/2011
This is good. Martha was right to be hard about it - at this point, only complete honesty from the Doctor could hope to clear the air between them enough to truly have a chance at a healthy, balanced relationship between two individuals. And if Martha had softened, had stopped pushing, then complete honesty would not have been achieved, important things left unsaid, mpainful issues left unaddressed. Now I can look forward to them moving on together with optimism and hope.
dontgiveahoot chapter 36 . 8/27/2011
I'm glad that the Doctor addressed the death of Adeola and his role in it with Martha. There really wasn't anything he could have done differently for her, but it's good that he told Martha the truth. I'm also glad that he told her how he felt, and I'm especially glad that she's not going to make it easy for him. Nothing worth having comes easy, and if a relationship (or even just a proper friendship) between them is to be successful, he really needs to prove that he's willing to work for it, because Martha's already done more than her fair share of proving.
dontgiveahoot chapter 35 . 8/27/2011
I had a feeling this might happen. This angry, vicious confrontation with the Doctor has finally shattered all of Rose's lies, justifications and excuses and laid bare the single driving force beneath: 'I love him, so he must love me'.

Her punishment was also very unique, and much harsher than it may originally seem. She's back in the parallel universe, and her last conscious memory is of losing the Doctor forever. In addition, the horrors she committed will haunt her subconscious for the rest of her life. The phrase 'how do you sleep at night?' becomes chilling in this context. Especially frightening is the idea that she may decide that her 'bad dreams' are the Doctor trying to contact her, just as he did to get her to come to Darlig Ulv Stranden in the first place, and thus use the Dimension Cannon to try and answer him. Jack's right, she has a chance to become the Rose they first met once more, but the question is, will she?
dontgiveahoot chapter 34 . 8/27/2011
This chapter was wrenching and painful. I could empathise with Mike and Francine here - particularly Mike, as he'd been forced not just to witness the atrocities, but to particpate in them. Rose's decision to shoot the Master made a certain amount of logical sense, but even now she is driven to extreme behaviour solely by her desire to be by the Doctor's side, loved and valued above all others.

Martha understanding the Doctor's desire to save the Master despite all he'd done, and feeling sorrow for his grief at losing him, perfectly parallels Jack's understanding in the previous chapter and speaks volumes about how well she understands him.

As for Rose... I think she's about to learn that she can't earn back her redemption and the Doctor's regard with an act of murder. And for her to even think that she could proves that she's basically irredeemable.
dontgiveahoot chapter 33 . 8/27/2011
This was great. Martha's first face-to-face sight of the Doctor in a year was as emotional as I could have hoped, and her joyous triumph over the Master and Rose was well and truly earned. It was fascinating to watch Rose fall into shock as suddenly the tables are turned. She'd placed all her faith in the Master's plan without really understanding it, and now everything is collapsing around her and she has nothing to show for it or to cling on to.

Jack understanding how the Doctor can forgive the Master by remembering the long-ago friendship and admiration that he'd once felt for Rose was fantastic, and highlights his forgiveness of his team after Abaddon (and later, of his brother).
dontgiveahoot chapter 32 . 8/27/2011
This is the confrontation that I'd been waiting for since chapter 10, and it certainly didn't disappoint. Rose's casual threats in the street show just how dangerous she's become, but nothing illustrates this quite as well as her cold, unemotional reaction to her murder of Tom - so unlike her shocked tears after killing the Brigadier. As she said herself, it all got so easy after that first time.

As for their conversation: Game set and match to Martha Jones. Without resorting to violence or raising her voice, she manages to tear open every single one of Rose's delusions and leave the lack of substance underneath open to inspection. Not only did Rose fail to recognise the name or description of the Doctor's home planet - her HUSBAND'S home planet - but she had to falsify a description of her own. Martha is right - Rose is only interested in helping herself to get what she wants, and what she wants is to *own* the Doctor, body, hearts and soul. Everything else is just a side benefit.
dontgiveahoot chapter 31 . 8/27/2011
This was a tense chapter, with Martha carefully playing into Tom's expectations and Docherty's questions without revealing the true nature of the plan. Martha's despair at the fate of the Utopians and her resolve to not surrender to that despair was also wonderfully done. It's clear that Martha understands what Sarah Jane understood and Rose did not: Everything has it's time, and everything ends.
dontgiveahoot chapter 30 . 8/27/2011
Interesting - I always thought that the whole rebellion as staged by the Doctor, Jack and the Joneses seemed a little too small-scale to be real, and at first viewing of the episode I assumed it was merely a distraction meant to fail to make the Master more overconfident - but the idea that it was needed to anger the Master into a public punishment in order to convey to Martha that he was still alive makes much more sense.
dontgiveahoot chapter 29 . 8/27/2011
So, now we're getting down to the meat of the LOTTL episode itself - Professor Docherty, Martha's return to Britain - but with the obvious changes. Tom and Martha's awkward camaraderie was beautiful, and highlights the tragedy of his coming sacrifice. They're not quite anything (and in this fic they probably won't be), but in a different time, different place, they might have been friends.
dontgiveahoot chapter 28 . 8/27/2011
The Brigadier! My favourite male Classic companion, bar none. And he's every inch the Brigadier, age notwithstanding - fighting to the end and magnificently restoring the flagging faith of a friend. I love how you took the whole Davros "I have shown you yourself" speech and added on what at least one of the companions present should have said - that being willing to fight for what's right is NOT the Doctor making them into weapons, it's him showing them what they can be and what's out there that is worth protecting.

Rose killing the Brigadier without even *thinking* was horrifying, and doubly so when she tries so desperately to excuse herself. For the first time, she seems to truly realise that she has gone too far, that perhaps the Doctor might not forgive her for this.
dontgiveahoot chapter 27 . 8/27/2011
I love that Peri, of all people, was the one to make sure that Martha got home. This is the woman who defied the Master by telling him that she could shout as loud as he could and threatened to strand herself to stop him. I love that she, too, is still fighting against the Master - and I'm glad that, like Mel, Peri forgave the Doctor for his mistakes with her.
dontgiveahoot chapter 26 . 8/27/2011
This is fantastic. Sarah Jane trying to talk sense into Rose was great, but it was clear that by this time, Rose was too enmeshed in her delusions and justifications to be able to climb out and admit that she was wrong. Your explanations as to why Mister Smith and K-9 weren't able to be used for fighting in the Year make sense. And of course, I loved that Genesis Of The Daleks was brought up and the difference between that and the actions of Rose. Sarah reminding the Master of the time the Brigadier knocked him out and then spitting in his eye was marvelous. And of course, Rose still has to try and play one-upmanship with Sarah Jane, even when she's dead.
dontgiveahoot chapter 25 . 8/26/2011
Fitz and Trix are two more companions who I've heard of but not seen in action, but I really like them from the little I see them here. Martha's empathy at learning that the Doctor was forced to end the Time War was wonderful.
dontgiveahoot chapter 24 . 8/26/2011
Oh, I do adore Ace, and this chat between her and the Doctor is really wonderful. She really does see right to the heart of things, and I'm glad to see that she hasn't lost her sass or her strength. In fact, she's become quite the competent warrior, and she's really done the Doctor and herself proud.
202 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »