Reviews for Broken Faith
dontgiveahoot chapter 26 . 8/27/2011
This is fantastic. Sarah Jane trying to talk sense into Rose was great, but it was clear that by this time, Rose was too enmeshed in her delusions and justifications to be able to climb out and admit that she was wrong. Your explanations as to why Mister Smith and K-9 weren't able to be used for fighting in the Year make sense. And of course, I loved that Genesis Of The Daleks was brought up and the difference between that and the actions of Rose. Sarah reminding the Master of the time the Brigadier knocked him out and then spitting in his eye was marvelous. And of course, Rose still has to try and play one-upmanship with Sarah Jane, even when she's dead.
dontgiveahoot chapter 25 . 8/26/2011
Fitz and Trix are two more companions who I've heard of but not seen in action, but I really like them from the little I see them here. Martha's empathy at learning that the Doctor was forced to end the Time War was wonderful.
dontgiveahoot chapter 24 . 8/26/2011
Oh, I do adore Ace, and this chat between her and the Doctor is really wonderful. She really does see right to the heart of things, and I'm glad to see that she hasn't lost her sass or her strength. In fact, she's become quite the competent warrior, and she's really done the Doctor and herself proud.
dontgiveahoot chapter 23 . 8/26/2011
Ah, Tegan. Even cut down by a savage illness, she's still the same stubborn, direct mouth on legs that I remember so fondly. She always cuts right to the heart of the matter, and she brings up the one topic that every other previous companion has either failed to see or tactfully not mentioned (Jack excepted, of course). Brave heart indeed.
dontgiveahoot chapter 22 . 8/26/2011
This chapter was short, but I liked it. The Doctor and Francine bonding quietly in a stolen moment was warming.
dontgiveahoot chapter 21 . 8/26/2011
This is officially my favourite chapter in the whole thing. Martha's ability to accept the Doctors she meets as aspects of the man she knows, as well as all the men he has previously been, speaks volumes about how exceptional she is. Her acceptance of all the Doctors as the Doctor is to my mind what made her worthy of meeting all the Doctors. In fact, I rather suspect that Jack and the Brigadier may be the only other human companions able to accept multiple Doctors quite that well. And I love the aspect of 'the Doctor' that each one represents and how they interact with each other, it made me laugh and tugged on my heartstrings all at once. The idea of the Tenth Doctor in the amalgamation of clothes you describe is hilarious, but his gentleness and intensity with Martha at the end was beautifully serious and believable, and renewed Martha's wavering resolve to see it through.
dontgiveahoot chapter 20 . 8/26/2011
This chapter was dark and thoughtful - the Doctor's initial despair and shame were beautifully written. I'd debate the idea that the Doctor never had romantic feelings for a companion before his eighth self, but that's about it. His analysis of his treatment of Martha was painfully accurate, and his confrontation with Rose was long overdue, mainly because Rose has now sunk too far to ever accept what he is telling her. Of course she believes that he must love her more than his own home planet, because she loves him more than her own home planet, and can't conceive that he may not feel the same. Her cold, calculated butchery of Japan at the end of the chapter simply to remove her romantic rival is conclusive proof that she's probably beyond any real moral redemption.
dontgiveahoot chapter 19 . 8/26/2011
Just like your Polly chapter, even though I have not actually had the privilege of seeing Anji, I feel like I know her as a character through this chapter. It's really interesting - I always assumed that the Ninth Doctor had regenerated literally right after the Time War ended, it never occurred to me that the Eighth Doctor lived for so long after the War.
dontgiveahoot chapter 18 . 8/26/2011
The Doctor has had a long time to think, and given the nature of the situation, he has no choice but to stare down the barrel of his own past and do some strong self-examination. He's absolutely right that he hurt Martha and failed to consistantly treat her with respect or affection. He's also right in that after the trauma of ending the Time War, he latched onto Rose harder than he realised. And his analysis of Rose as compared to most of his other companions was spot-on. Where most of them grew more independant and stronger, Rose grew more dependant and weaker - both emotionally and morally.
dontgiveahoot chapter 17 . 8/26/2011
I love how this time Martha isn't interacting with someone who knows and travels with the Doctor, but rather with Torchwood Three, who only know him through Jack. It's a different dynamic, and it's also good to know more about Jack's team during the Year. The bit where Toshiko alters the perception filter is clever and makes a lot of sense.
dontgiveahoot chapter 16 . 8/26/2011
Wow. Mel was far from my favourite companion, but here she's both strong and sensible, calling the Doctor out on his past treatment of her and listening when he tells her that he's the last and truly had no alternative that wasn't even worse. Anger aside, this is the Mel I would have loved to have seen on television.

The Doctor's recitation of why he believes in his companions was brilliant, but the Master's sharp retort reminding him of Rose's loyalties and his treatment of Martha was a reality check the Doctor desperately needed.
dontgiveahoot chapter 15 . 8/26/2011
I do love Martha's friendly banter with Ian about what they'd seen while travelling with the Doctor; it was almost like a good-natured version of the fight between Sarah Jane and Rose in School Reunion. And I'm glad that Ian recognises the strength and courage Martha possesses in order to manage what the Doctor has asked of her. He's right, there's always a choice - and Martha chose what was right even though it would be difficult and painful.
dontgiveahoot chapter 14 . 8/26/2011
Well, it might have been hard to write, but personally I love this confrontation. When confronted with the truths Jack throws at her, Rose falls further into justifications and excuses, without ever seeming to understand exactly why murdering humanity in the present is so imperative or how it will prevent the future that she so despairs of. Jack is right, that logic has been used since time began to excuse the most inexcuseable of acts. And poor Victoria and Thomas Brewster...
dontgiveahoot chapter 13 . 8/26/2011
This is great. The idea of ex-companions hunting each other down and forming a network is brilliant and plausible, and the way you've written them is brilliant. Polly's recollection of the change between the First and Second Doctors made me nostalgic, and we see Martha begin the tough task of spreading the Doctor's story all over the world.
dontgiveahoot chapter 12 . 8/26/2011
This is an interesting look inside Rose's head. She has no qualms with using the Master as a sexual substitute until she can make the Doctor see things her way, and yet she dreams of the day when she and the Doctor lead the Human/Time Lord Empire 'to glory across the universe'. I wonder if she really thinks that once the Doctor 'sees the truth', that the Master will happily sit back and allow her and the Doctor to take charge? Or has she just not thought it through? She certainly seems to have not thought quite a lot of things through.

I love the use of TOMTIT to bring Rose through the crack between realities, and the reference to Agent Yellow. Best of all, though, was the idea that Rose was a companion he'd cared about and missed, but perhaps not as much as he'd thought he did. Certainly there are going to be companions that he would miss more than others - Susan and Romana would certainly be high on the list of special ones, at the least.
205 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »