Reviews for Something To Think On
GreenAngelHeart chapter 21 . 11/28/2014
One of those fics that you just never want to end.
Mendip123 chapter 21 . 4/29/2014
Beautiful story. Other reviewers have put it better than I can. I'm so glad to have read this - it's so well done. Mal's bleakness, his hardness, ends up making sense. Everyone is so recognisable, all the characters are themselves. Key moments - Zoe on the bridge, Mal's "I don't want you to go." Mal, "Okay. Okay. Okay." The armour coming off. Aaaargh. Actually there are too many.

I wish this could be on my shelf next to other stories. This is astonishingly layered, intelligent and well-paced and I couldn't stop reading. Thanks.
FranSmith chapter 21 . 3/4/2014
I read this story many times. It's one of my favorite mal/inara-stories. I just love the plot, the revelations, the suspense, the tragic, the romance. Well done!
RubySun03 chapter 1 . 9/14/2013
Coming back to review the chapters I've already read, cause I've been reading on my iphone, and for some reason can't leave reviews on there. So wow, what a great story, so moving. I'm a BIG sucker for angst, I suppose it's why I'm so drawn to the Mal/inara ship so much. I love how you are interchanging the time lines here, and I have managed to become totally drawn in to this story like it is an extension of the show or something. You know when you read something really good and it stops being words, but a picture in your head like a movie or something instead? Well that's how your story goes. I'm looking forward to reading the rest, and will try to leave reviews for the rest of the chapters I've yet to read. I'm on about chapter 7 now. Thanks for sharing a great story!
TemperTemper chapter 21 . 9/27/2012
I don't know how to write a review that will do this justice. You weave your story so perfectly into canon it's just sublime. And such a perfect, bittersweet, Joss-like ending for them. Gorgeous.
one.twilight.sun chapter 21 . 6/29/2012
Wow.

I found your story and read through it late into the night. It captures Mal perfectly with his restraint in having a relationship with Inara yet the deep love that is evident to anyone else. Having Inara be the Tams' sister was shocking and I loved that I felt that way! That doesn't happen to me often in reading and so was novel for me.

Your writing is amazing. You fleshed out Mal and Inara as well as the whole crew. You even got Jayne being Jayne but just maybe a little more decent and believably so.

You didn't give Mal and Inara a happily ever after but you gave them an ending that really they could only have. I loved this and will probably revisit it several times over. I would've paid money to buy this if it was a book!

Char
one.twilight.sun chapter 1 . 6/27/2012
I can't wait to read the rest!
Capelthwaite chapter 21 . 3/7/2012
I'm new to the firefly and serenity world, just finished watching it all (and reading) last week and have been searching for a fic that would fill that empty ending that serenity ended us with in regards to Inara and Mal's relationship. But this was the piece that completed it. I love how well you wrote the entire thing, keeping each and every character ...in character! You preserved their voices and I think you did a magnificent job. I'll definitely read it again...and a couple times after that. It was a wonderful piece of work.

Only thing is, and I've noticed that others have shared this same comment, is what is the ending about? The Data reader and what Simon couldn't tell her yet? Could you explain that a little more? (sort of like the director's commentary!)
Capelthwaite chapter 18 . 3/7/2012
This chapter was so beautiful and sad. All I can say is wow. I'm honestly in aw at your ability to capture these characters so well. I love how many details you've included that most people wouldn't know about firefly and serenity. This is by far the best firefly fanfic I've ever read. Cool twist with Inara and simon's relationship.
steepedinwords chapter 21 . 1/12/2012
I'm thinking this must've been emotionally exhausting to write.

Fits so perfectly with the show and the movie. I kept thinking 'oh, that's why Mal/Inara acted that way!'

The flashbacks were non-disruptive - I never had to check and double check to figure out where I was reading.

Characterisation is so, so perfect.

It made me cry. Fanfic never makes me cry. I was full-out bawling by the end.

You didn't just employ a 'fix-everything' technique and completely heal Inara at the end. I like that, because life is like that. It's hard, and it sucks sometimes, and sometimes bad things can't be fixed.

Am I right in guessing their daughter's name is Joy?

Will there be a sequel?
purebristles chapter 7 . 10/7/2011
Perhaps I'm a bit of lazy reader - I could have used a bit of a visual heads-up before they began - eg a little line between these parts would have saved me some re-reading. As it is, I'm not even certain I got the "break" right in my second example.

(this goes for all chapters before this chapter; I'm reviewing before finishing the fic - wonderful work so far!)

He hated Simon Tam for a whole load of things, and one of them was that the very first time he'd seen her looking free it was in his arms.

He'd come at the cargo bay along the catwalks. He'd heard the music — fancy, classical sort — before he conjured what it was.

ENDQUOTE

Hurt worse than the words before. Because maybe he was right. Maybe if he didn't understand that, that little, simple want, he wasn't really rén after all.

And then it was him taking a little step backward. He choked over his words. "So tell me...

ENDQUOTE
Rosie Rubix chapter 21 . 3/26/2011
It's...done. And I'm happy and sad and wondering... is Inara going to make it? Is it just going to be her daughter? What was that, that Simon and Mal are thinking on?

But I don't really mind either way, because...it was beautiful, and sad, and happy, all at once.

Erigiond chapter 21 . 10/20/2010
Since it doesn't look like we're ever going to officially return to the world of Firefly, for me this story will be the ending for Mal and Inara we're never going to get.

The best thing about this well developed story is the fact you get Mal's voice and spirit right and that's something hard to do. Another thing I loved about it is the fact you don't believe your audience is stupid. You shift times and places without any notification and expect the reader to follow, which is great. I especially love the bittersweet ending, it's perfect. Those reasons are why I reread this story.

A few criticisms, I think you fudge Inara's timeline on Serenity a little, but that's just fine because the overall story is excellent. The Inara and Simon's relationship twist was kind of strange and it does serve a major purpose in the story but I feel that it doesn't quite fit.

About the information Simon gives Mal at the end of the story, it has to be about the people that experimented on River. There's nothing else that Simon would find hard to let go of. I can't think of anything else that would be on the pad.

Thanks for writing one of my favorite pieces of fanfiction. I wish this was turned into a canon comic.
luvagoo chapter 1 . 10/15/2010
This an amazing story. Sorry only reviewing now (except for the Inara-Simon bombshell) but I could hardly, like, STOP to review, could I?

I don't, as a kind of unspoken rule, favourite stories where they 'get together', but I suppose I have no choice here :)

I realised how few stories actually deal with Inara's secret and so set out to find one, and I find this! How amazing is that, I seem to have the best luck with finding firefly fics. I'm brand new to the 'verse as well, and like all the others, muchly needed some closure and such.

What I...admired about this the most was how seamlessly the scenes and times changed. There was no markings or any other indications, but I was never confused and it hightened the sense of Mal's jumbled and desperate feelings, remebering and trying to put the pieces together.

What I liked...least, I think, was Inara being their half sister. I don't know. I didn't think it was necessary. It was very well done and interesting, but...I think River would've felt that way, and Simon would have fought that hard regardless. In that way, I didn't feel it added to the depth of their characters.

Also! Like someone else said here - I don't get the ending, what the information was. Was it a hope for a cure for her, and not just for their baby? I presume so. If so, what a fantastic ending. Great ending anyway but just a little confusing.

Also! I was excited when I realised you were going to go through *everything* and that you'd go through Heart of Gold...I just watched it a few days ago for only the second time (I had to pluck up a LOT of courage to do so because it's so gorram depressing) and I just couldn't get around what went through his HEAD. So I looked for a few fics to help, but they were varying degrees of stupid, but your insight and knowledge of the characters (evidently more than mine P) was fantastic and really helped...

But overall...wow. The language, the poetry of it, the depth, the bittersweetness...thank you :)
luvagoo chapter 16 . 10/14/2010