Reviews for The Iris Tales
Finwee Lord of Long Winds chapter 5 . 6/2/2014
Wow. That was a really good story. You managed to fill it with emotion and made Ranmas curse work right. Thanckyou for your work.
RPhysics chapter 1 . 9/29/2013
While I'm a huge fan of Ranma as a girl stories, I always have that guilty voice in the back of my head detesting myself for enjoying them. I personally am two years into my transition to female, and I can't imagine living my life out as male. It just feels wrong for Ranma to not feel the same in regards to living his life as female.

So kudos on writing a more realistic approach to a locked curse. It's certainly not a happy story, but neither is it when the same situation appears in real life.
Guest chapter 5 . 9/26/2013
I don't know what to feel. I Love this story, but at the same time I hate it. XD
Marty chapter 5 . 7/20/2013
While I have never seen the manga I have seen a few episodes of season 1 of the anime. I think the fact that I started reading Ranma fan fiction without seeing the original form first has left me with a greater sense of possibilities than those who did. All the characters have great potential as you have shown here.

The only criticism I try to make is correct word usage and if warranted to encourage a writer to further develop a story, Some feel like fantasies that someone typed out but everything that goes on in the mind isn't necessarily put down but is glossed over in the mind of the author (after all they understand their own shorthand) so some attempts end up sounding disjointed and a difficult plot to follow.

Encouragement to become better can sometimes make a green so - so writer into one who ends up writing a story that keeps you riveted.
mark-engels chapter 5 . 5/3/2013
This was a very interesting recap of the range of emotions that Ranma has felt over this long and arduous journey. I think it drives home the points I made earlier about how much of a life worth living Ranma has led so far. She has come full circle finally, and is now equipping a new generation to keep up the good fight. Ranma reflecting on her life worth living is powerful stuff.

Things are going well indeed. Most excellent all the way around. A fine story that I thoroughly enjoyed seeing how well your crafted and executed it.

mark-engels chapter 4 . 5/3/2013
Oh, and now the bird is coming home to roost. Enjoyed the opening from Cologne's POV.

The point about the bride and groom surviving the wedding preparations is so painfully true!

Little by little we can see the holes in Ranma's heart being sewn shut, as Ranma talking with Akane about Akane's upcoming wedding to Ryoga demonstrates. But then Fate rears its ugly head again!

Ranma's comment to Kuno about timing is a sterling example of dark comedy. It's needed, as this is a really heavy scene. And then the next one where Cologne finally fesses up to Ranma for what she's done is even heavier. Then Ranma has some choices to make. And the fact she makes the one that she does suggests she's come full circle. Only harm done was to a couple blocks of wood.

As Ranma addresses the dying Cologne, we see just why this is such a stellar work. This has less to do with anything in Nerima or Jusenkyo...this tale is more than that. It's about life and love and loss and longing and lessons - stuff that every one of us will deal with in their lives sooner or later. That's what I think makes these stories so powerful. Very much appreciated.

Seeing Ranma's life from Cologne's point of view was trippy, but did serve a useful purpose. The torch has been passed, and an old life has begun anew. Perhaps that helps everyone involved make sense of all the crazy things that have happened...that they indeed served a greater purpose.

At last we see Ranma and Kuno keep it real. Nicely done.

The interaction between Ranma and Ryoga at the end was hysterical! And then Ranma tells just what women take away from their wedding day. It's been a great ride seeing the torturous road she's had to take to make peace with her new reality. You've pulled it off wonderfully.

Heh. Ranma's impressions of the church and what it represents were interesting to read indeed.

Finally we see Ranma and Kuno seal the deal! Outstanding.

Guest chapter 3 . 4/29/2013
Heh. I enjoyed reading how you'd noted the passage of several years...not only is Akane's hair longer but she's actually a decent cook! And if Ranma finds herself complimenting her for it, then we know they're both well along in their growth processes.

The scene between Ryoga and Akane was very touching and represented their matured characters well.

It speaks volumes that Ranma is able to articulate the dichotomy of her persona. This was a heavy scene which I think you crafted quite well. It came through as comfortingly cathartic without being sappy or ham-fisted.

But then Ranma tried to fill the void in her heart with drink; by what must have been divine providence (and to Kuno's credit) somehow didn't get her into trouble. Given Ranma doesn't imbibe leads me to believe just how hurt she was. This is a story of love, loss and carrying on - I believe we're well into the "carrying on" part. Kuno's response to this was quite powerful.

And Kuno fires the opening salvo. "I would date with thee", indeed. A cautionary tale for all of us...be careful what you wish for!

Ranma and Akane must really have become good friends by now if threats by one to use the other as a punching bags are taken as playful banter (though I'm sure Akane meant what she said!)

Ranma's sad yet stoic acceptance of her fate speaks volumes of how much she has matured and grown. Well done.

The scene between Kuno and Kodachi was wonderfully executed, demonstrating the depths of the curse they both must endure. In a way, they are even more cursed than Ranma. While Ranma's curse was acquired, Kodachi and Kuno were each born with theirs. And all three shall have to deal with same for the rest of their lives. It's good that Kuno and Ranma find solidarity in their affliction; here's hoping Kodachi will come around given time. She needs their help but as of the moment doesn't realize it herself.

Ah yes. Now it appears the Tendo sisters are finally working together for Ranma's benefit in a manner she's not only appreciate but also grow from. That's part of what makes these stories so interesting seeing even those who had appeared to be grown up and have it all together (like Kasumi) change for the better.

Quite striking to read how Ranma was being finally forced to accept her femininity preparing for her date with Kuno. This scene has a sense of finality to it. No going back now.

Wonderful slice of life portrayal of the Tendo household finally getting back into a routine yet comfortable slice-of-life.

Heh. The peanut gallery was there to gang up on Ranma when she returned. Very funny!

Oh, that dream was wicked indeed. But it certainly was a clever device to enable Ranma and Akane to engage one another to talk about things that really matter. And this was followed by a tender moment between Ranma and Kuno as they bare their souls to one another. Well played.

Having seen Mononoke Hime myself (albeit a LONG time ago now) I'll be interested in hearing from you sometime what part would have depressed Ranma.

Closing out the scene with the cacophony of laughter from the girls out was hysterical!

And then we're back to the kata metaphor again, but now one that's rendered exquisitely well. Ranma is back in the saddle and ready to ride again. Closing out this chapter with her giving her bracers to her student simply underscores how far she's come. And glad to see it - she worked hard to get this far and had a lot of help from her surrogate family.

mark-engels chapter 3 . 4/30/2013

mark-engels chapter 2 . 4/25/2013
Right out of the chute, Kuno is portrayed as relatable and empathetic. Well done for giving us reason to care for this caricature of a character from the canon.

Ranma's dwelling on her hands before beginning her kata give us an indication of just what battles rage in her tortured mind. Enjoyed reading these passages a great deal.

And at length, Kuno and Ranma deal with one another. They venture into that domain hesitantly as one might expect. Very well executed.

I don't know if I would venture Ranma's attempt was her acting "in the only way she knew." I do think that she acted out of desperation, because everything else she knew to try had failed. And she had figured she had lost everything anyway, so what was the point? It wasn't the only way she knew, but certainly the only option she believed was open to her to make the pain stop.

Heh. If the food *were* still alive, it might taste better. Just sayin'.

Kuno's crack about Kodachi's lack of culinary prowess was hysterical, especially my picturing him delivering the line in a deadpan voice.

The depths of Ranma's frustration come through very well here, as well as the sense of injustice of it all. But as any of us who have walked the earth awhile know firsthand, life ain't fair. And neither is it for her. Thank you for bringing this point home.

Heh. Ranma's been in here awhile for the cafeteria food to be even passingly palatable. Quite touching too how Ranma and Kuno compare notes about their respective families. Well portrayed how Kuno has been dealing with his issues, as well as his desire to be there - really be there - for Ranma as she works out hers.

The shouting match between Ranma and Nodoka was painful to read. As I suspect it might have been painful to write. Both are tortured in their own way over the lot each has drawn. I felt a lump in my throat when Kuno and Kasumi threw in their two cents. Kuno's comforting Ranma afterward was wonderfully touching, Which only led up to the breathtaking display of affection between the two of them to follow. Nicely done. As far-fetched as the original concept might have been, it was executed here exquisitely well.

And then in the kata, Ranma finally finds her center. Mission accomplished. Goin' home. Ranma's acceptance of the world that is and releasing the world he, well, she would have wanted was heartwarming.

Crowning moment of heartwarming, though, was seeing Ranma and Akane reconcile. Oh, and the tender moment between Ranma and Kuno at the end. Appreciate seeing how Ranma has changed her appearance, perhaps in deference to the repairs made to her soul. Well done.
mark-engels chapter 1 . 4/22/2013
It's been a long time since I've reacquainted myself with your work, my friend, and with Anime Iowa not all that far off in the future I figured this was a good time. This is my first time making it all the way through the complete Iris series, which I will begin by saying is superbly written. The characters are imminently relatable and endearing, even those who were so hard to really feel much empathy for in the canon material. Why I think these stories have such impact is because they describe lives being lived (albeit with a LOT of strangeness!) similar to our own...with hopes, dreams, aspirations, successes, disappointments, defeats and, at length, the opportunity to reflect and readjust one's priorities and directions. I think these are the things that make a captivating and engaging story; I applaud you for delivering these in abundance and with high quality.

Heh. The "morning after the night before" scenes brought back memories. Some rather blurry ones, mind, whose details didn't survive the night. The passage of years hasn't helped either. :P

Interesting to see how Shampoo and Akane were forced under the circumstances to work together on Ranma's behalf.

I do think that Ranma's onto something here by thinking Cologne is responsible for his condition. And, I think that she would have had some trick up her sleeve for doing so. But I don't believe we ever see that, in the end. I mean, sure they reconcile but Cologne didn't play the cat-and-mouse game with Ranma like he (and this maddlesome reader) thought she would. Just as well though...this tale was tragic enough as it was.

Having practiced martial arts myself at one point, I can appreciate the ability to focus one's mind through the practice of kata. I found this to be an excellent anchor point in Ranma's life as the story unfolds. The reflection he, or well, she, engages in during the execution helps us understand just what's going through Ranma's mind as these key events unfold.

Thank you for showing the strain these events put on Kasumi. I think she really came into her own during this ordeal. You've given her depth of character I don't recall seeing in the canon material.

Akane's cause for reflection upon how she's treated Ranma in the past begins the interesting journey of her character development. She can easily be written off in much of the canon material, as Shampoo does, as the "violent girl." But we're beginning to see her come to terms with her own actions, which I think speaks to the fact that she's growing up. Very interesting indeed.

It was really too bad about Ryoga and Akari...I for one thought they made a cute couple. But in circumspect, I don't think the story would have had the power it did were not Ryoga "available" to play his unique and important role. And also we got another glimpse of Akane's maturation process too. We can see her coming to terms with Ranma's prognosis long before he, or well, *she* does.

The scene with Ukyo was especially bitter, yet poignant. I suppose this was part of Ranma's maturing process as well. Where DID he get all that money, though?

I appreciate the development Ryoga is going through too, desiring himself to be something in the future other than just a pig.

Oh, boy. We figure what Nodoka's planning will be bad for Ranma. Can see it a mile away. But I suppose anyone looking in from the outside can see things that those closely involved are blind to.

Not only is Ranma female now, but he's also mortal. Ow. The scene in which this came to light was quite well-executed and touching to read.

The outcome of the steamy scene between Ranma and Akane gives us an indication of just how far the mighty have fallen. Unable to even make the best of a less-than-ideal situation. And then we're right into just how badly Ranma and Akane have managed to wound one another. A stark and humbling example of how those closest to us have the ability to hurt us the most. Being honest, I think that every one of us could be in both Akane's role and Ranma's at different points in our lives. Anyone who can't say that simply hasn't walked the earth long enough, I'd wager.

Akane is growing up fast as she realizes what she has to do if she's to salvage any relationship with Ranma. Representative of tough choices all of us find ourselves having to make as we grow older. Really enjoyed reading these.

Comparing trig to kata was genius, my man. Really enjoyed reading that part! I'll have to remember that next time I have to use phasor algebra to do power factor correction work.

I've been a fan of other anime in which the characters themselves enjoy anime (most notably Martian Successor Nadesico) but this is the first time I recall characters coming away with something so deep as the realizations Ranma and Akane made after they'd finished Rurouni Kenshin. Akane's coming to understand just what it Ranma needs to come to grips with reminds me of a favorite Boston tune. I think you know which one.

Ranma's path toward the end of this chapter reminds me of videos I've seen of airplanes which gain a little altitude before they turn into a lawn dart. A ray of hope followed by crushing defeat. Making friends, getting into college, looking forward to working in a newly-refurbished dojo...and then THIS. Followed quickly by THAT! I thought MY heart was going to stop too!

I'd read "Angel" before reading the rest of the Iris Tales, so I realized afterward how well this piece segues into the next one. More from me then.

Lonesome-Writer chapter 5 . 4/11/2013
F. Fan. Fantastic... Thank you so much for the time you kept me occupied with reading this story. (Which only took about 9 hours...Damn, its been that long?) Anyway that doesnt matter. I really enjoyed the time it took. I just have to say there are too few stories like this one on the Net. I loved the happy ending as well.
shugokage chapter 5 . 3/11/2013
This is a very beautiful story with an amazing concept great job!
shugokage chapter 4 . 3/11/2013
Incredible chapter!
The Dragon Z chapter 5 . 11/25/2012
Goodness gracious, I'm quite astonished of how this story hadn't received more than 44 reviews. Anyways here's my comment about this story so far;

This is perhaps the BEST and I mean the BEST Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction I've ever read here on this site. I've enjoyed every single bits of it till the final chapter. Not to mention I'm intrigued by Ranma's character development of how she went from suicidal to a gentle person who has learned to love herself as a female. Other than Ranma, I felt like you developed every character you've featured in this story nice and smooth. Well-balanced must I say. I'm also amazed of how well you developed Ranma and Tatewaki's relationship, normally Authors who are creating a Ranma-chan x Tatewaki story tends to make the characters fast forward but you seemed to make them very distant and steep at first to a gentle lover pairing.

This story is a masterpiece and gains one million praises from me.

Son Goku Seiten Taisei.
Spica75 chapter 5 . 7/26/2012
Its a bit on the edge of believable from some of the characters, but who cares, its a damned good story and I just wish I could write as good.
58 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »