Reviews for He Deserved Better
emptyword chapter 1 . 4/20/2009
Whew. Wow. Um. Now that I can breathe again, maybe I'll give myself a moment to contemplate the idea of his death. Honestly, it's something I have -never- considered before, believe it or not. Almost everything's up in the air, in my opinion, when it comes to the story of 24, but Jack Bauer surviving, coming out of everything alive if not exactly sane or well, was a certainty I've never doubted. Now that you've posed the question though, I think I agree with you. His mere disappearance to live a happy, mysterious ever after will never work for a series ending; he's already done it all. Only his death could be satisfying enough of an ending, much as it would kill me to watch. At least, that's my answer from a realistic standpoint. But on the whole, if asked what I want for the character myself, death is not it. He's not that sort of tragic hero for me (the way Severus Snape in Harry Potter is, for instance). I don't see death as his only solution, his only path out of the hell he's lived in. I think there's a fragment of him, as you pointed out in "Tortured," that's capable of building a different life than the one he's led. He -can- be happy, despite everything, and I want to see that; I want to see him prove wrong Senator James Heller and his father and those who told him he could never be normal. I don't really count on the series to show us that, but it's the fantasy I'd like the most nonetheless.

That said, if he's going to die (and yes, I agree he probably is), then you've written a worthy rendition of it. Nothing could ever make it okay, but at least Chloe's earth-shattering grief is a portion of the mourning he would deserve.
trecebo chapter 1 . 3/27/2009
As much some would like Jack to have a happily ever after, I don't know what his fate will be. I do know Chloe will be devastated and it won't be pretty. This is fair dinkum close to that. Dang.
A.Z chapter 1 . 3/27/2009
Ah, very good. I'm not sure exactly how Chloe would react...I'm sure she'd cry and be in shock, etc, but not quite as hysterical as you made her. It was still really good though, And I can totally picture it ending in Jack's death. While I wouldn't necessarily be dissatisfied with another ending, I think that's the best way to do it, because a happy ending wouldn't fit with the series, and a sad ending where he was still alive would just leave us hanging there, imagining him being brought into more bad days. I really liked it...
AmyH chapter 1 . 3/27/2009
You aren't the only one who thinks the series should end with Jack's death. There is really no other satisfying way it COULD end. Not with as much as we know about him. Once the series ends on TV though, they are making a movie so we might have to wait to see that before they off him.

Your story was excellent! I'm not a huge Chloe/Jack person, but I can totally see her reaction being something of this magnitude.
SallySorrell chapter 1 . 3/25/2009
I really liked this, and I agree that it needs to be Chloe/Tony who finds him.

I'm torn on this season. Really, Jack HAS to die, I just hate to think about that. And what could kill him that he hasn't survived numerous times throughout the series? Sorry, I'm ranting...

But I enjoyed your take on this, and I can see that actions you gave to Tony and Chloe.

Well done.