Reviews for Meals At Diz's
Myshu chapter 14 . 4/12/2011
Ah, I concur, Dissipating/Passing Sorrow is a gorgeous song, and a great note to end this lil' gem of a fic on. That said, although I'm not a fan, I don't mind songfic so long as the lyrics aren't obtrusive-I mean, if I can just as easily skip over them, that's cool. So this is an okay exception with me.

And now some stray thoughts:

"dig out some spare seats from the graveyard's storehouse"

heh, pun intended?

Eheheh, nice to see Midgar's own "Undertown" getting its just desserts from a Tribal, in one story or another. Cheers, dude. XD

Haha, I managed to guess Riku and Sora the minute you described them. It was a facepalm!moment. Those two kill me, sometimes. On their own? Confident badasses. Together? Complete bumblefucks. The power of superfriends at work. XD

Heheh, "faggot hair."

Dang, in his own asshat way, Hojo came through for Zexion. I also like the way that kid confronts people-I'd almost call it "stoic aggression" or some oxymoron like that.

Ah, poor Axel, although I feel happy for him-in a somber way-that he has someone like Roxas to support him. And that's pretty much the exact way I'd figure ShinRa would kick someone to the curb.

Hmm, I wonder who that strange healer is...?

It seems that for a story like this, emotion is the key, and you did a pretty good job evoking those throughout. Although quite the depressing occasion, it feels all too fitting to start the epilogue with the funeral of the guy who was like a keystone to this rollercoaster of a 'growing up' story. And it was a lovely idea to tie it up at the end with music-a bittersweet success story, if you will.

Also-hah! Straight as a hula hoop. Oh DiZ, you cad.

Man, I'm kinda bummed that this ride is over, but I totally applaud you for seeing it through (I know the feelin'!) and I wish you luck with the next part of your life! You rock, guy. ;)
Naive-Symphony chapter 13 . 1/30/2011
dude, the part about demyx leaving on the train made me so sad! and damn i wanna see what happens to axel in the next one. i feel like there hasn't been too much on roxas in this story so i hope he gets a good amount of storytime.
Chosenoneknuckles chapter 13 . 1/28/2011
Simply riveting writing - you made me feel sad for love left too late, chilled to the bone, and then worried for an old dear friend.

I can only [hope] that Diz's relapse of health brings everyone back together again - full circle like.

Keep on writing mate [whatever makes ya happy], you have a natural knack for it I think.

Chosenoneknuckles
Myshu chapter 13 . 1/27/2011
Aha, the Beltino ref took me two or three steps to catch, but I got it (I had forgotten that I first got the name from Slippy Toad's old man.) Thanks, dude. ;)

And heck, I wouldn't cross Hojo out in the wild, either, never mind his "natural element." If his thesis is to be believed, the man can take down a whole swarm of dragons with the power of science (and, well, high-end materia.) Watching him own a room full of accountants was pretty satisfying, nevertheless.

Holy flaming cow, Axel dove head-first off the deep end, there. Grief can make a man do crazy things, and it's not any better when he's conditioned to be a ruthless hit-man. Elaborately gruesome stuff, and I like how you tapped into that pyromaniacal nature at the heart of his character (also, yikes, that bucket. *cringe*)

And now you've got me worried for Diz, you sonuvagun. That guy's like a keystone to the whole fic, as steadfast as a rock-the kind of guy you get deluded into thinking will be around forever. But this fic is pretty good at shattering delusions, isn't it? Gwaha.

I hope you don't keep us waiting too long for the next bit!
Naive-Symphony chapter 12 . 12/29/2010
oh my god this chapter was so sad! shit got real! i wanna see what happens next D:
Myshu chapter 12 . 12/28/2010
Holy crap, my good man, this chapter just blew me away.

I expected a heartfelt, hopeful and (slightly-less-than) wholesome parting of ways from this cast we've grown to know and love. There were elements of that, particularly in the teachers' lounge, Sora's "orientation" (oh, if only some bold freshman would actually try that, but sadly it would never play out that way), and Kairi and Namine's departure (I laughed at Kairi's burn re: THE DICK.)

I should've known better by now, though; what shone through more than anything was a cold, hard dose of reality, as the story and its characters were forced to mature-and quick. I was totally gripped by the opening and closing segments, great examples of the Turks and their dirty work.

Character picks were almost hilariously fantastic, too: Petey and Mickey dealing on the side (the image of the former, looming and drunken and wielding a shotgun, is going to hang in my mind for a good while); "powder-faced" Zorn and Thorn; and then the Flaming Amarant (Elena's, "Red is here," line is a genuine "oshi" moment.) I loved it more by the minute, the danger and suspense resolving with swift and uncompromising violence-nothing clean or heroic about it.

And as always, it's the little things that crack me up:

the 'ethnic cleansing' line was pretty striking, and Cid Fabool's mention made me lol. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how entertaining you manage to make these weird crossovers. Thanks for the update!
Naive-Symphony chapter 11 . 7/25/2010
lol mr. uematsu! nice twist. i wonder what everyone's gonna do now that they've graduated. i thought the story would be over here, but it's not! what a pleasant surprise!
Myshu chapter 11 . 7/19/2010
*clapclapclap* All right, Demyx! What a sweet score. I cracked such a big grin at the last line.

You drew from some really choice stuff for the beginning, too, with the classroom quote and the poem (despite Saix being a hilarious tightass). They really make you think, and you worked them into the chapter pretty well.

Once again Diz is just full'a surprises (and Sephiroth-streaking, HAH! And I wonder what a "cross-dressing dance" looks like, exactly...) The way he blithely discussed police corruption with Demyx was a shock, almost inexplicably so-but it goes to show that Diz never holds back or fudges the truth for any of those kids looking for it. Hard to find an adult that'll be so bluntly (or dangerously) honest with a young'un.

All the FF cameos are a huge treat, as ever. Laughed at both Tribals, and much luff for Quistis.

The kids are the best, though (Roxas's septic tank included). Even though they've graduated now, I hope there will be more chapters.
Niwaki chapter 10 . 7/13/2010
damn this made me cry.. it's really sad... BUT I LOVE IT! thanks please continue soon
Chosenoneknuckles chapter 10 . 6/24/2010
A bittersweet tale, but realistic, given the length of time these lies have been festering.

Though in both letters I think it wasn't all doom and gloom for Cloud and Elena, as Larxene did refer to herself as 'Your Daughter' [she could have easily renounced either or both of them if she wanted to - though I guess she didn't want to deal anymore pain, which is admirable].

Love the 'ol' chocobo-top' nickname for Cloud. I can't believe I never noticed the resemblance! Maybe he was the result of a REALLY drunk night on the Chocobo Farm. xD

And as stated by other readers [and there should be more, in my honest opinion], your pacing is good as well.

Finally, I found the beginning character quote pretty uplifting [especially because of recent family problems to do with accepting oneself, and I have similar self problems that come and go]. Though I'm starting to wonder just whether accepting yourself - all your strengths and weaknesses laid bare - is possible in one life [and I don't believe in a god per say; I'd like to think of myself as more spiritual]. But that's just me. I spend too much time thinking somedays! Lol.

Well, kudos on another great chapter. And I look forward to seeing as many as you can come up with [I know I'm very keen on the IX and VIII main characters myself]...! -

Chosenoneknuckles
Naive-Symphony chapter 10 . 6/23/2010
dude, larxene could totally be elena and cloud's love child, ha ha. it was shocking to see her write such heartfelt letters at the end there, but it was sweet. why aren't more people reading this great story? blows my mind!
Myshu chapter 10 . 6/22/2010
Aww, this is a sad'un, but it was really well played. The pacing is perfect, letting the whole story unfold step by step until we get the big picture-and something almost like closure-at the end. The theme fits Larxene extremely well, too, by the time she comes to terms in those letters.

I'd say the best part is the way each side got portrayed, very realistically with real human characters, not just some victim and deadbeat stereotypes.

(And hah, Larxene inherited a hell'uva mouth, to boot!)
Myshu chapter 9 . 1/12/2010
Ahahaha, I can't stop loving how raw and weird this story is. Flavor of the month: Irvine's "photo." (Bonus points for Garland's last name.) Guh, my sister used to LOVE her scrambled eggs like that-ketchup, bleh.

Riku and Sora's banter made me gag and laugh at the same time-that was freakin' amazing.

Zexion's 'detachment' is something I can sympathize with a bit, so I particularly enjoyed what you did here. What I REALLY liked about this chapter, though, is that like some of the others, there's not really a neat and happy resolution for the 'problem,' all tied up with a little bow. It's a story about self-discovery, and it makes the characters stop, think, and look at themselves in a different light, even if that moment is jarring and a little scary. The last line was great for that.

I'll be waitin' for the next installment!
Naive-Symphony chapter 9 . 1/11/2010
aw poor zexion. let's get that boy some social skills! love this story, always glad to see an update. :)
Naive-Symphony chapter 8 . 10/5/2009
aw i was wondering if i'd see an update from this story soon! great chapter, the condom story was hilarious. ha ha.