Reviews for Holography 1: The Catalyst
tanseynz chapter 13 . 11/11
One of the most powerful ST stories I've read. The massive conflicts between Sarek, Amanda, Spock and T'Pau give a graphic picture of just how different the Vulcan culture is, and the ongoing compromises everyone is forced into in order to keep the public profile of the family intact, even though that family may be crumbling within. It's too easy to hate Sarek, yet in some ways he's perhaps more of a victim than the others, and far less able to see and act on it.
I look forward to the sequel.
tanseynz chapter 4 . 11/11
Is hypocrisy logical? Oh Sarek...
Window Girl chapter 4 . 3/19
I love the relationship between Sarek and T'lau. I like that she's standing up for Spock.
Window Girl chapter 3 . 3/19
I like your rendering of Sarek and Spock's argument. It's very believable.
Laurie chapter 13 . 10/11/2014
I can't get over how REAL your characters are! I love how you delve so deeply into the Vulcan vs human psychology. Excellent dialogue between Amanda and Sarek, and between T'Pau and whoever she has summoned! Thank you as always for such a lovely escape. I never felt 'taken out' for a moment - your world is so real, and yes, logical! Thank you.
smalsa chapter 5 . 8/24/2014
I just want you to know, how much I want to quote everything from this chapter...there are too many perfect quotes to list.

'He was always on the outside, looking in. An observer, but never a participator.'-I wish Amanda had done more for him during his childhood and I wish Sarek had understood that his son had a human half.

'Emotion was real, and it was even possible for a full Vulcan to find' -I just want to reach in and hug him, what would it be like to deny a part of your existence, to always dampen it, because others expected something else.

That last paragraph, nearly had me in tears...I wish spock would communicate this to his parents and in turn they would understand how he felt. The description and history behind the holo was beautiful!
smalsa chapter 4 . 8/24/2014
Woah! I absoluetly despise Sarek at this moment in time, T'Pau of all people, of all people accepts Spocks decision and even approves of it, even states that regardless of anything Spock is her heir. I can't quite understand what Sareks issue is at this point? But that's the human in me right? I can't think in his Vulcan way...T'pau is Vulcan too though.

''But I acknowledge that I have had more practice in accepting such deviant behavior than you. After all, you have not had a son and heir of yours yet marry a Terran and present you with a half-Terran heir. If you had, perhaps you would accept such inconsequential trifles as this in stride." - Loved this!
smalsa chapter 3 . 8/24/2014
I'm not even a star trek fan - it feels so good to get that off my chest, but I am a sarek and amanda fan. This is the first review I'm officially leaving for this fandom, beforehand I've always felt like a traitor to those true fans who adore the show and movie and well I haven't even seen one episode. Before you or anyone hates me for this I just want to say, I am completely and utterly in love with the pairing Sarek and Amanda; I've spent the last month powering through their fan fictions and I am addicted. I'm utterly fascinated by human and alien relationships, how they work, why they work etc. And well I was watching the big bang theory the other day, it was an episode before the new star trek movie was officially out and they were saying how spocks birth would be included, however the characters stated they would be interested in seeing how he was created - how did a human fall in love with an alien, an alien who belonged to a race who withheld emotions (it was something along those lines). I was so fascinated by this concept, my main fandom of choice also revolves around an alien/human relationship, but the alien part is rarely explored and so I went searched for this supposed spocks parents and have been in love since. I absolutely love fan fiction for it, Vulcan culture is so fascinating!

Why am I telling you this? I just wanted to let you know that my main focus has been Amanda and Sarek, however I've powered my way through most of fictions and there isn't much left and well I've stumbled across this and I need to let you know, how amazing this is, how intrigued I am and how to an outsider this is one of the best things I've read...I adore your writing, I'm a major fan, I've read Judgement of Solomon and it was beautiful...l didn't review as I felt it was wrong of me to...but ah, at this point I don't care, fan fiction is about exploring something you love and I do love this couple and their child!

This actual chapter, makes me want to just hit Sarek, he's so frustrating and as the reader it makes you wonder how or why amanda even chose to be with him. I've always been annoyed at Amanda for not fighting a bit more for Spocks human half, I do not know enough about star trek to make this comment, but as a novice fan fiction reader it frustrates picked up on that in judgement of solomon and I loved it! I hate how Spock is seen solely as Vulcan, Sarek mated a human, does he not understand that his child will have those traits and Amanda why did she not fight Sarek for that? By saying he's completely Vulcan he's completely implying that humans are inferior, that Amanda is inferior...why is she not offended? If Sarek wanted a vulcan child, surely a vulcan woman would have been logical, anything else would produce something imperfect. The whole way through this chapter I kept wondering where amanda was? Where is she?
Ramblings aside I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my comments, I fully realise I have no right as I haven't actually seen any of the episodes and so do no know what canon is...but I couldn't help myself to review this one time!
Pat Foley chapter 11 . 7/27/2014
One of the interesting things about humans, compared to other Terran life forms, is that we have no involuntary 'rutting' season. Humans have control over their sexuality. Vulcans are subject to their biology.

One of the interesting things about Vulcans is that the creators of Trek presupposed an intelligent, highly civilized race that has an involuntary mating cycle. When the time of mating comes along, two Vulcans married to each other have no choice but the even worse Challenge scenario if the female chooses not to mate, though they at least understand their biology requires this.

When it involves a Vulcan male and a human woman, she walks into that marriage, if the male is honest, knowing that at least at some point her choices are going to be far more limited than if she married a human. The Vulcan mating fever has to be regarded as the physiological and hormonal rut that it is, with sex or combat the only two options. A Vulcan is therefore not a human male choosing to rape. if you accept Vulcans as aliens subject to their biology as it was presented on the series, Vulcans in such a state can no more be accused of rape than a woman can be faulted for holding back a birth, once her child is ready to be born. Both are inevitable outcomes of biology.

Science Fiction is often used to set up sociological arguments regarding such questions. The difference between the science fiction and romance genres is that the greater exploration of those themes overrides simplistic romance.

That being said, Amanda is neither Vulcan nor simplistic. She does make a choice here FOR her marriage, her husband, and her love, over-ruling that biology. It is what saves her husband's life, and eventually ensures her family making it back to eachother. Her choice to marry a Vulcan, to submit to that biology, is actually a very interesting controversial choice for a human. Even more particularly given the context of the women's liberation movement when Amok Time and Star Trek was originally written. The moral and sociological conundrum the series created, for Spock as well as Sarek and Amanda, was thoughtful and interesting. The Holo series strives to explore that, in fact partially uses it to explain how a civilized thoughtful being like Sarek, a renowned ambassador, could reject his son for eighteen years. Vulcan biology becomes the one true Achilles heel, the fatal, heroic flaw that is the catalyst for why that eighteen year breach goes on. That being said, Amanda does make a choice FOR her husband.

I wonder at those who read Vulcan/human stories and choose to overlook, disregard or sugarcoat Pon Far as being other than the physiological rut Spock and McCoy so clearly explained in Amok Time. Spock tossed Christine into a bulkhead. T'Pring plots for Spock's murder. Whatever romance Sarek feels for Amanda when he is not in Pon Far - and I believe he does love her deeply - in Pon Far he is not capable of those feelings, nor as Spock and McCoy describe it, could any Vulcan. A male animal in a testosterone rush, whose higher cortical functions are so short - circuited he can't even speak, is only capable of sex or combat. In that regard, Vulcans are not human, and expecting human behavior here is not - dare I say it - either logical or worthy of science fiction.
Monki-Neko chapter 11 . 7/27/2014
No no no no. Just. No. I just can't accept this, this tactic acceptance of being raped by her own husband!
Talktidy chapter 1 . 2/20/2014

First things first, anyone out there looking at reviews to suss out a good, meaty read should look no further.

I am currently on sick leave, feeling unwell and pretty sorry for myself, but I have, at least, had the opportunity to re-read your Holography series to cheer me up.

Anyone who writes well makes it look easy. The quality of your prose is fantastic. One might not think it difficult to put one word after another in constructing a story, but...

The depth of characterisation (warts and all) is amazing; Sarek and Amanda could almost come off the page and be in the room with you. The Vulcan, with its politics, and a society so proscribed by biology, that you draw, seems eminently feasible, too.

I can’t understand why you have received so few reviews on this to date. Well, maybe I can because I am normally rubbish at leaving feedback, too.

TOSoldtimer chapter 13 . 12/20/2013
After rereading Home is the Sailor, I reread this for perspective. Still a great story the second time around.
numom1 chapter 13 . 4/16/2013
Excellent story. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I can definitely see this playing out. I love how Spock and even Amanda out logicked (sp?) Sarek. Also, how even T'Pau wouldn't accede to Sarek's demands. I can't help but feel that Amanda kind of has a bum rap in her life with Sarek though. I'm looking forward to reading the next story in the series to see a more peaceful representation of her life.
kyoko12989 chapter 13 . 8/15/2012
Very interesting.
Galad Estel chapter 10 . 10/23/2011
Your dialogues and relationships and those little legal complexities make this story quite rich