Reviews for Facing Up
Frakking Toasters chapter 5 . 8/30
This is wonderful. A very mature approach to a very difficult subject. It's so easy to be cliché about "abusive Senior." It's much harder to present him - and Tony - as convincing examples of a reformed alcoholic abuser seeking to make amends and the grown up version of the child abuse victim. Authentic characterisation is hard, but you really nailed it. Hating Senior is simple. It takes skill to even feel the beginnings of compassion or empathy for him, not to mention how you managed to portray Tony so perfectly. I felt such intense sympathy for him, but he never once came across as if he was weak or broken beyond repair. I love a competent Tony - a real Tony. My heart ached for him, but that quiet strength that he hides from everyone shone through like a beacon in spite of himself. Awesome. xo
magis1 chapter 5 . 6/4
Well, that's for sure an unusual way of looking at Tony's father. I like it. It's got a grown-up feel to it.
Thanks for sharing,
magis1 chapter 3 . 6/4
Abby's hugs ARE medicinal. Of course, Ducky is right. They are part of good therapy. Affection from a dear friend helps in amazing ways.
*big grin*
Guest chapter 5 . 6/27/2014
Im not ashamed to admit you made me cry. Well done.
scousemuz1k chapter 5 . 6/23/2013
I suppose a late review is better than none at all - I found this in a friend's favourites list, and read it at one sitting. Wonderful psychological insight into all three men, and I'm so glad Tony was strong, and you didn't go down the falling apart route in spite of Ducky's dire warning. I really thought that this was the sort of father the show was hinting at, and I really find your version much more credible than what we eventually got.
I have to ask, why M? That's why I'd never come across it before, and I've seen a lot nastier Senior in the T section. I wonder how many other people have missed out on this really good story because of the rating? Just saying!
Ligeila chapter 5 . 3/13/2013
Okay, can I just go ahead and favorite everything? I should. This is so good and how come I haven't read this already?
I love the little visuals that make every action so real. Small and seemingly effortless touches. I know how hard they are to come by sometimes.
Your writing is brilliant! Thank you for putting it out there.
sarah999 chapter 5 . 3/28/2012
I really like this story. The twist you put on Tony and Dominic's relationship. I really hope you update soon.
Long Live BRUCAS chapter 5 . 2/22/2012
So glad Tony was Ok to be around his father.

They still have a long way to go. But they made a small start. And he will always have Gibbs there if he needs him.
Doni chapter 5 . 4/21/2011
Heartwrenching for poor Tony. Very nicely done.
Kermitty chapter 5 . 3/29/2011
That's a cute ending. Throughout the entire story you see Tony do little things that show he is feeling very uncomfortable with the situation. You see that he would really rather hide or crawl away into a corner, but it's all done in a very subtle way. Not as over the top as in other abused!Tony stories. Really good job!

faneka chapter 5 . 3/26/2011
I'm enjoying this so far and hope you'll be able to continue and finish it. I hope Gibbs realizes that even if Tony and Dominic repair their relationship, Tony will always be his son too.
sgs09 chapter 5 . 1/13/2011
That was really sweet. :) My favorite part was the conversation between Gibbs and Dominic in this hospital room, when Dominic was giving his "good answers". ;) I really liked this story. It was a nice twist on all of the awful father-stories that are out there about Tony's father.

Greysh chapter 5 . 8/22/2010
Nice fic!
Laura-trekkie chapter 5 . 5/16/2010
Lovely story.

I liked your characterisation of Dominic, how he acknowledged straight off how terrible he'd been to Tony and how careful he was to let things go at Tony's pace, despite his own impatience. I loved his observations of Tony on the plane.

I loved how supportive Gibbs was, how worried he was about Tony, even going to Ducky for advice on how to help. That support gave Tony the strength he needed to face Dominic on several occasions.

I also liked how the rest of the team rallied round, from the way McGee and Ziva pulled their verbal punches, to Abby's hugs and Ducky's willing ear.

And then there was Tony. I liked his reactions as the scared little boy fought with the trained special agent inside him. It was sad to see him so afraid of his father, because fear isn't an emotion Tony allows anyone to see and yet here he was unable to hide the reaction because he was so off balance. I loved seeing his trust in Gibbs and the way Gibbs being proud bolstered him so much. Tony really was brave to call Dominic on those various occasions, to put himself in a room with him and talk to him. It was good to see him slowly starting to see Dominic as he is now and not as he was before.

Great stuff.
mightymousestapler chapter 5 . 3/11/2010
Congratulations - I enjoyed this story very much and was very appreciative of a story that depicted Tony as strong and in control, rather than some and snivelling character who constantly yearns for Gibbs' comfort. Far more realistic in my view! MMS