Reviews for If I Knew You Then: Part 3
TLWtlw chapter 1 . 2/17/2016
According to barge of the dead, it didn't strike me that Miral (the elder) was any taller than B'Elanna.
LiveLifeWriter chapter 1 . 8/6/2013
This is bad. It's literally 1am and I am halfway through this series. I can't stop reading but at the same time I need to sleep . . .
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 21 . 7/12/2009
Hoo boy…

As always, you manage to create a HIGHLY effective plot with a very intriguing background cast, made even MORE effective than before by the fact that several of them are totally original creations.

The look at B’Elanna attempting to live among Klingons alone was surprisingly detailed, but your idea about how to set things up so that she STILL ended up working on the “Val Jean” even without explicitly joining the Maquis was very believable and completely plausible.

Her reasoning for many of her actions might not always be something we agree with, but you manage to clearly lay out WHY she’s acting this way well enough despite that, her past issues in many ways only worsened by her feeling for Tom and increasing her deire to ecape any perceived ‘eakness’ that might affect her future.

And as for her ‘vision quest’…

Short, but highly effective at conveying what it had to express; even after all the effort she went to trying to ‘get away’ from Tom, she STILL can’t shake how she feels about him no matter where she goes.

Keep up the great work; I have a feeling the next story will be VERY interesting to read (And not just becaue we’re getting into ‘canon’ at last)…
betty brant chapter 21 . 4/21/2009
There was some wonderful angst in this part. Generally, I liked it a little less than the other two parts, but that's only because Klingons were never my favorites in any of the series (except for Worf and B'Elanna herself of course).

However, B'Elanna's characterization here is topnotch - still angry & hurting, still uncertain of where she fits in, still carrying a whole boatload of issues from her childhood and her mixed heritage (and in your version, from her time with Tom). Typical B'Elanna logic, to assume that her feelings for Tom were making her weak, and that she could just get rid of him and them at the same time.

Hmm, despite the fact that she has admitted that she loves him by the end of this story (excellent moment by the way), somehow I can't see her falling into his arms right away.

I was a bit surprised, actually, at how ruthless she was in pushing Tom out of her life. I wonder if this painful B'Elanna-engendered separation will make Tom more self-protective and insecure or more determined when they finally meet again.

Lt. Koner was a definite highlight of this story, and another well developed original character from you. I was prepared to dislike him, but his sense of high honour, his honesty about his feelings and his sense of humour won me over. I thought it was very good of B'Elanna, too, not to take advantage of those feelings.

I was confused about why B'Elanna would choose to go back to the Defense Forces at the end; she seemed nostalgic for Earth and not all that enamoured of life with Klingons, more indifferent to it than anything. I suppose it allows her to keep running away, and it is bearable in itself, now through familiarity as much as anything. Luckily the Caretaker happens along.

Great installment in the series, but I do wish we could have had a few chapters with Tom as test pilot, interspersed throughout (not appropriate, I suppose, as this was B'Elanna's story). I'm glad you've returned to alternating POVs in the 4th part.
starrylaa chapter 21 . 4/20/2009
I go a few days without the internet, and I come back and find you've finished this story and started the next! Not that i'm complaining! As much as I enjoyed this, I'm very much looking forward to a new part in B'Elanna's life. Looking forward to catching up!
biancaruth chapter 21 . 4/16/2009
O. The Delta Quadrant at last.
Riss - uscmam chapter 21 . 4/16/2009
Guess they're meeting on Voyager... Oh my, I can't wait...

Now will Ryan be there as the observer... What position will Tom hold... pilot or something more... I'm betting Starfleet wanted the best pilot out there for a trip through the Badlands.

I'm so excited.

This was an amazing third part to the story. It's nice to see someone grow up in front of you.

The only sad part is that you said this was only a four part story, so I know we're almost done.
starrylaa chapter 20 . 4/15/2009
I'm really glad they both delved into their histories. And I'm really glad B'Elanna admitted that she was or is on love with Tom.
paristorres27 chapter 20 . 4/15/2009
She loves him! :)

I've been waiting for this.
Riss - uscmam chapter 20 . 4/15/2009
Oh my... She said it... and stupid Anay said it was settling...

No wonder she won't embrace our favorite pilot with open arms.

Wonder if he is one of the new crew members they're taking on... Ah well, at least we know he'll show up at some point, even if it is just on the bridge of Voyager...
biancaruth chapter 20 . 4/15/2009
I'm glad they're good enough friends to share with each other.
starrylaa chapter 19 . 4/14/2009
Oh, wonderful. I loved what is all symbolised. And it was nice having a flashback with Tom in. I disagree with what he said about lions leaving the females food relating to real life- some guys I know don't even bother chewing their food, let alone leaving any behind! Though I get the impression he meant their relationship specifically :D

I love how it was implied that all the paths she's chosen have been taken due to one incident in her past, and her reaction to this implication. But the truth hurts B'Elanna!
biancaruth chapter 19 . 4/14/2009
That is one very smart cat.
Riss - uscmam chapter 19 . 4/14/2009
B'Elanna may not have liked what the spirit guide had to say, but I sure did.

I'm usually not a big fan of the whole spirit guide trips, but this was perfect for B'Elanna. Perfect set up to make the words from the series come true.

Now, will she make the first step, or will he come into her life on her own?

Another great chapter, thanks!
Riss - uscmam chapter 18 . 4/13/2009
A nice little interlude. It was again nice to see the use of Dreadnought. This was exactly how I pictured the conversation after the episode. Thanks for showing us an accepted B'Elanna. It's always more interesting when people find themselves while stuck in strange situations.

I wonder if she'll kill her spirit guide, of if it will tell her that looking back for important things isn't so bad.