Reviews for Spy in the Family
animationiscool chapter 6 . 8/8/2011
This was a great story and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was very imaginative and funny.
animationiscool chapter 5 . 8/6/2011
So that's where Agent 13 was. His story on why he was stuck in the piano was hilarious, even though I probably shouldn't have laughed at his predicament.
animationiscool chapter 4 . 8/6/2011
This was a funny chapter, especially the handcuff incident. I'm curious as to where Agent 13 could be located.
IcyWaters chapter 6 . 7/16/2011
This story was utterly brilliant! I agree with your other reviewers – it should have been a movie. It’s brimming with adventure, humor, mystery and a dash of romance. That undeniable chemistry between 86 and 99 share was still sizzling, which was wonderful to see in a couple with teenaged twins.

If I have one quibble, it was the lack of 99, but that is perfectly understandable. We would never have had this wacky adventure if her common sense was involved. :-)

I mentioned this in an earlier review, but I love how tight-knit the Smart family is. Now I’m more eager than ever to read future adventures with the Smarts…I’m curious if Sarah and Shawn ever encounter Siegfried. :-)

Thank you for a thoroughly entertaining and side-splittingly funny read! :-)
IcyWaters chapter 5 . 7/16/2011
Poor Agent 13…I shouldn’t be laughing at his predicament, but it was too funny. :-) In a way, he should be counting his blessings. Being tied up in a piano is better than being trapped in a deli case with rotting meat!

I’m still wondering about Big Dumb Benny…instead of just removing the gold bars from the deli case, they stole the whole thing? I’ve heard of being hungry, but they carried it to the extreme! Hmm…was that another bad pun on my part? ;-)

About the gold bars – It’s amusing how Max and Sarah struggled to carry one bar to the Tiger while Shawn grabbed the other two. He must have inherited his strength from his mother. :-)

More of my favorite dialogue:

"So I snuck out to get a breath of fresh air. They saw me run back in and I hid in the piano. But they noticed where I went and tied me up!"

"13, they tied up the piano."

"Same thing. It was rude!"

"Can you untie me now?"

*****

"By the way, 13, you're pretty talented on the piano. I recognized that tune immediately." Sarah glanced at Shawn and rolled her eyes.

"I wasn't playing the piano."

"But I distinctly heard you play Beautiful Dreamer."

"Oh that wasn't me…it was the rats."
IcyWaters chapter 4 . 7/16/2011
The bit with the pockets and the Smarts’ reaction, “Group hug,” was priceless. :-) Big Dumb Benny and Laughin’ Larry are fantastic creations. Hmm…Max doesn’t by chance have some long-lost cousins who are gangsters, does he? :-)

It’s a good thing that Shawn has a little of his mother’s common sense and put that fire out. I wonder what 99 is going to say when she learns what her family has been up to.

I’m starting to feel bad for Agent 13. Being trapped in a deli case with liverwurst that is starting to spoil is a terrible, miserable fate. I hope the Smarts find him soon!
IcyWaters chapter 3 . 7/16/2011
This chapter was hysterical! Sarah is way too much like her father! Why didn’t they just put their original clothes back on? :-) Instead, they go rushing through the corridors to the Chief’s office and rummage through his closet. They really need 99.

I’m going to go overboard quoting my favorite dialogue, but I can’t resist. :-)

*****

"Why wouldn't they turn it on immediately so they could be found right away?" asked Shawn, leaning over the front seat between his father and sister, his longish black hair blowing in the breeze.

"Two things, Shawn. One, the Lab men put the device in various items of clothing, but don't tell us where it is. That way, we can't tell KAOS about it if we are captured."

"What's the second one?"

"Sometimes they forget to include batteries."

"Dad, that doesn't make sense!" said Shawn.

*****

"I brought my Swiss army knife, too. I can stab someone if you want me to…" she gave him an impish smile.

*****

"Shouldn't we be quiet?" asked Shawn. "We don't want Agent 13's captors to notice us, do we?"

"It doesn't matter," said Max. "To them, we just look like a family out for a picnic." He looked at Sarah and Shawn. "Eh, to be precise, a family of gangsters and a hippie out for a picnic."
IcyWaters chapter 2 . 7/16/2011
“Sarah, please call me a cab.” (snip) It was nice to talk to someone who knew what he meant…if he made that request of Larrabee, Larrabee would say, "Chief, you're a cab."

That gag shouldn’t have made me chuckle as much as I did, but I admit it – I laughed. Loudly. :-)

The scene with the two shoe phones, the cuff links and the pen phone was hilarious. I could easily see that playing out in an episode. And of course it all started out with a misdialed caller seeking to order a pizza…unless all of these misdialed calls are part of an evil Kaos plot against Max. Okay, I’m starting to scare myself – I’m sounding like Max! :-)

I’m also starting to wonder if 99 has been around Max too long…If three of his four phones are busy, she should realize he’s having a difficult time. Calling him on the fourth phone probably isn’t the smartest idea (pun intended). :-)
IcyWaters chapter 1 . 7/16/2011
After clicking on “O Brother, How Time Does March” and reading your author’s note, I decided to check out this story first. :-) So far, this is a wonderful setup! The twins are sweet. Is there any particular reason you chose the names Sarah and Shawn?

From the opening paragraphs, I felt a kinship to Sarah. That description isn’t too far off from my room and I’m a wee bit older than her, hehe. She certainly hit the nail on the head: there’s much more to life than cleaning. :-)

It’s amusing how Sarah is so much like her father. :-) Her experiences as a waitress and as a clerk in the boutique reminded me so much of Max…except that he wouldn’t be working in a woman’s boutique unless it was undercover to stop evil. :-) While Shawn also resembles his father in looks, I sense he’s a bit more like his mother.

It’s terrific that the twins have a strong relationship with their parents. A little discord is expected, but I’m tired of dysfunctional families. At first, I was curious if they were aware 86 and 99 were spies (and why their mother’s name was 99), but I suppose they’d easily figure it out growing up with the shoe phone, invisible wall and all those other gadgets. I can’t wait to learn about Sarah’s experiences at Control – and how Shawn gets involved. I’m off to the next chapter…
animationiscool chapter 3 . 7/8/2011
I really enjoyed this chapter, as it had funny dialogue and ideas for gadgets such as the pen phone. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the story.
animationiscool chapter 2 . 5/13/2011
This story is great so far. I like the characterization, and the new characterization for Sarah and Shawn. I'm looking forward to finding out if Sarah will go on a case with Max.
02AngelBaby75 chapter 6 . 3/21/2011
A lovely lovely ending! I loved Agent 99 and The Cheif being there at HQ, just waiting to chew poor Max out. And good for Sarah, she really did a lot of the work! Her and Shawn will grow up to be awesome agents, I think :)

I can plainly tell you love GS, the way you write shows it. I'm amazed how well in character everyone was, especially with Max getting his hand in the ashtray! XD

A fun and lovely read! Thank you so much :)

EDITH
02AngelBaby75 chapter 5 . 3/20/2011
I probably shouldn't have, but I laughed when poor Agent 13 told the story about getting stuck in the piano...XD

And you mentioned Ma Barker! I didn't think anyone else knew who that was :) I actually think she was a nice woman, not like they make her out to be...

Another awesome chapter! Again, I would head straight to the next one, but we had a yard sale this morning and I got up 3 hours earlier than usual, so I'm really tired xD
02AngelBaby75 chapter 4 . 3/16/2011
Wow. Max is so smart with the whole handcuff incident! XD

A lovely chapter, short but sweet :) And now off to find agent 13!
02AngelBaby75 chapter 3 . 3/15/2011
I think Shawn is really cute, he reminds me of my ex invisible boyfriend named Maks. Nevermind! XD I just like Shawn.

This chapter had me laughing SO MUCH! Max is so funny, I can't even believe it :) I love how he threatened to give Sarah a spanking at 17 years old...Reminds me of my dad, him and his empty threats to do this and do that...xD AND ON TOP OF IT ALL...no supper. Oh, Daddy :)

This has been the funniest chapter yet! :) Thanks, this just made the rest of my day!