Reviews for In His Hands
True Colours chapter 1 . 5/12/2009
WOW.

I always noticed he has these very delicate, creepy hands. THat was a really original oneshot, and well-written too, not with some of the bad language you see around. All the different ways you describe the hands were really powerful and built up the image well. In short, I'm impressed.

True.
Ziggy Sternenstaub chapter 1 . 3/31/2009
Thank you so much for this! I'm honoured by your tribute to my Vader.

The first thing that struck me was that you have a very good grasp of the nuances of individual characterisation-what makes one author's version of a character different from someone else's version of that same character.

Great how you noted the clear understanding of rank and power that child Anakin has. I loved how you demonstrated his awareness of the enormous leap in station that he made over the course of a day with this: 'A few days ago, a slave was dreaming on the Outer Rim, and now the Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic was touching my shoulder and smiling down at me.'

This line: 'It was then, sitting in a class of padawans, that I became aware of their instrumentality.' really crystalised the choronology of the piece. We can tell that this is an older Vader, looking back on his youth. There is a cool contemplation, an analytical awareness and eloquence, which is lacking in a younger Vader. It's quite an interesting experience for me, actually, because I've rarely written about Vader in that later period of his life-other than in AS: LotS, and that's a little bit different than the rest of my fanon.

Very interesting how you delineated the physical connection between Anakin and Palpatine-how Palpatine only ever offered slight caresses, like rarely tasted sweets, and how when Anakin dared to grasp his hands he did it almost fearfully. This behaviour clearly the reflects the power imbalance between them, and also the imbalance of need.

'corrupted by high office; they have gone too long without sunlight, resting in state, existing only as fluid illustrations.'

-Beautiful. Just lovely poetry!

'Then, of course, I discovered that they were not an instruments at all, but a finely calibrated weapon that could rip savagely through the flesh; though to be tortured by them was an honour reserved for only the highest of beings. When servants abound, only the great merit their attention.'

Interesting-the inherent self-awareness in this statement, the assurance that he was always great, to merit their attention. And an enjoyment of that attention, even if it was clearly dangerous...

'And then it was that I loved and hated those hands. When they would stroke my mechanical breastplate affectionately, or come to settle on what is now only leather and machinery; when I can no longer experience their touch.

Kneeling before the Galactic Sovereign in a dream I might reach for those hands and kiss them reverentially; for though they are the arbiters of my fate, I cannot but cherish them, for alone among my memories they have not abandoned me.'

These two paragraphs struck me perhaps most clearly of all, for it is through these that I most clearly see my own interpretation of the character...the need, the emotional feeding frenzy that keeps Vader attached to Palpatine like a desperate, lonely child, even when he knows better-even after all of the betrayals. Some nicely subdued eroticism in the first paragraph, as well.

'Until now.'

What an ominous note to end on-and a demonstrable one. Now I remember why I never write in the later period of Vader's life, ha.

Thank you for this, Ansketil. It was both lovely and fascinating to read.
LL chapter 1 . 3/28/2009
This story is sheer poetry.