Reviews for Destiny's Son
anon chapter 1 . 11/17/2009
And Cas will too! I wish they'd stop and clarify things more. If it was always meant to be Dean, then this is true either John wasn't a "righteous" man or he never broke and they made a point of saying how they stormed in to get to Dean but since they didn't John then he must not have been in danger of starting anything even if he broke so again couldn't be "righteous" and probably did break or was never tortured the specific way Dean was. Which is the one thing they've ever done that did make sense. At first I didn't understand why that hadn't just driven Dean insane and broken him completely through trickery, delusions, rape, what not, but that wasn't the goal, the only goal was to break his will not his mind or spirit since they needed him to turn into a torturer himself. They really should've shown more flashbacks of that.
Kelcor chapter 1 . 4/19/2009
I really enjoyed this. Great job! My only disappointment is the lack of a fatherly hug. :o( But, that's just the h/c junkie talking. LoL Still love it! :o)

~Kelcor
Oneswan chapter 1 . 4/10/2009
Loved this...I quite agree with all who have quoted your wonderful lines...As always it is so easy to see the actors saying your dialogue. How'd I'd love to see JDM and JA do that scene together!

The best part was when Dean cries not from hurt but more due to some measure of relief...and then sleeps, peacefully, one hopes...Well done!
RedDragen chapter 1 . 4/6/2009
I really enjoyed reading this short story because I can see John talking to Dean that way in many ways.
bhoney chapter 1 . 4/2/2009
VERY nice tag. I LOVE the idea of John coming to talk to his son-after all, he's really the only one who has any idea what Dean's been through. It's so sad they didn't do this on the show (though I did like IATL, but any chance to bring JDM back on the show should be taken :) ).

This was so sad, but true: "John...hated that in the end, Dean would have to shoulder saving the world all on his own, just like he had shouldered everything else in his young life."

I truly belive this: “...I couldn’t have held out, but I know that if you had known what was at stake, you would have.“ It breaks my heart that they had Dean be responsible for setting all of this in motion. How much more can one man take?

Again, very true and insightful: “You did the hunts because you wanted to save people. Save people because you felt they deserved saving, so you could spare them what we went through, but also to save them because you couldn’t save your mother.”

Nice for John to verbalize this for Dean: "Dean, destiny chose you because of the man you are. You were NEVER supposed to end up in Hell.”

Aw, this was so sweet, and UTTERLY true. Great insight into Dean's character: "You’re not weak. You just love too much, care too much. Those aren’t weaknesses. They are your strengths. Your only weakness is that you give so much you leave nothing for yourself.”

And I loved this: "The family motto you have been living by, that didn’t come from me. That came from you. It’s what you took from what I taught you. I did the job, but saving people, that was an afterthought. I got just as much, if not more satisfaction from killing evil that I did at saving people...I trained you both so you could protect yourselves, but Dean, you gave the work its meaning. Yes, you’ve doubted whether what you have been doing makes a difference, whether you have made a difference, but believe me, you have, not just from defeating evil, but from the compassion you give to those you have saved. Your love for Sam, for humanity, it flows through you." Well said. Nice depiction of the difference between the way Dean views hunting and the way Sam and John do.

“Sleep now and believe that I’m with you, here, in your heart. Both your mother and I are. We will never abandon you.” Aww...very sweet. *sniffle*

Lovely job, brilliant idea!
K Hanna Korossy chapter 1 . 4/1/2009
Creative idea. You're right in that John is probably the only person who could actually lessen Dean's pain on this point, not just make him go on. I wish he would.
krissy7490 chapter 1 . 3/31/2009
Wow. Incredible story! Great job!
Ani-maniac494 chapter 1 . 3/31/2009
"“No, you fought back, you stayed true to God even with your doubts. You confronted Uriel with that certainty and defied him, not God,” Anna comforted."

I have said this before, but I love the point that Anna makes here.

"The world will end because I wasn’t strong enough.”

This is an awesome echo of what Dean is thinking as well.

"“Dad, if you really are my dad, you can pep talk me all you want, but nothing you can say can change things. It’s my fault that we’re in the mess we’re in. I caused this. Those are the facts. Nothing can change them!”"

I love the way you capture Dean's emotions here, and the way that he so utterly convinced that all of it is his fault.

"John listened to his son, tormented by everything that had happened and hated that in the end, Dean would have to shoulder saving the world all on his own, just like he had shouldered everything else in his young life."

This is such a great thought, and it's wonderful foreshadowing too. I really do think that Dean will be alone in the end...that Sam won't be facing this with him. If anything, Sam may be what Dan has to face...

"“Yeh, by saving the world. I’m the ONLY one who can because I’M the one who started it in the first place,” Dean scoffed."

You fit so much bitterness and pain into that line. Awesome. :)

"“We all have weaknesses. Without them, we wouldn’t be human or would know what to overcome. You’re not weak. You just love too much, care too much. Those aren’t weaknesses. They are your strengths. Your only weakness is that you give so much you leave nothing for yourself.”"

I LOVE this line!

"The family motto you have been living by, that didn’t come from me. That came from you. It’s what you took from what I taught you. I did the job, but saving people, that was an afterthought."

I can SO PICTURE that motto having come from Dean.

"He’s doing what I would have done if I had been chosen as he had.”

Oh, that is an eerie thought!

"“Dean will save him,” John said with his own conviction. “If there’s a way, Dean will find it.”"

I love that you end on a hopeful note.

Incredible, incredible work as always! :)

Ani-maniac494
Almu chapter 1 . 3/31/2009
How beautiful!

"We all have weaknesses. Without them, we wouldn’t be human or would know what to overcome."

That's so true, and so beautifully expressed. And I love when John says that Dean has tried to save his mother all his life, it's true, in a way both of them have lived their lifes around Mary (and Sam, who is her legacy). Only John used most of his time trying to avenge her, and Dean trying to save others so they don't have to live what they did.

Your resolution is very good, because Dean didn't doubted his life as a hunter, like the "pep talk" in the episode suggested; he doubted his strenght and competence for the task before him, like you adress in your story.

Thank you for your beautiful story.
Nash Carter chapter 1 . 3/31/2009
"Hope you enjoyed my take."

yup, absolutely. dean needed to heat all that. thanks for telling him ;-)
Lamarquise chapter 1 . 3/30/2009
Sorry...but I'm afraid I can't buy this one. For all his faults, I can't believe that John was voluntarily party to any atrocities and believe it does a deep disservice to our soldiers to perpetuate the myth that such atrocities were in any way common in the Viet Nam war. Had John broken, I can't see him either escaping Hell or doing what he did when he escaped through the Devil's Gate. He wouldn't have had the will or desire to escape, nor would he have acted (essentially) in character as he did in distracting Azazel so that Dean could shoot him, then disappearing in a blaze of light. Like it or not, I think we have to conclude that John did somehow hold out. In any case, keep writing!
Nana56 chapter 1 . 3/30/2009
It would have been wonderful to see John again. :) That would have been a nice way to go.

Thanks for posting it. It was very enjoyable and well done.
darkgirl3 chapter 1 . 3/30/2009
That was excellent, I loved that it was John that came to Dean. It was bittersweet in a way because Dean had to break through and realize it was his dad before he'd really listen. Keep up the excellent work :) :) :)