Reviews for Unexplainable
Be3 chapter 1 . 4/10/2009
It seems the light that somehow casted the shadow in the "Study in Scarlet", where Watson tried to get Holmes' limits. The shadow was grotesque, and we laughed at it; the light is gentle, and we smile.
Westron Wynde chapter 1 . 4/3/2009
As much as I hate to admit my ignorance, I found myself cast in the Watson role there. I was with Holmes all the way up to when he asked Watson what he knew about atoms. After that, it's all a blur! Wasn't my favourite subject at school :)

And I love your choice of title - from reading the story, it made me wonder if it didn't just refer to theories about atoms and moles, but the nature of their relationship too. Very thought provoking.

Excellent work :) You certainly gave me something to think about.
anon chapter 1 . 4/2/2009
I can tell you just took a chemistry class. or maybe you are way into it. I just took chem last year and moles was the only thing I really learned. math isn't my thing.

lovely story. :]
Savethellamas chapter 1 . 4/2/2009
Since I am currently taking Chemistry I can certainly relate to poor Watson...

I really enjoyed this!
gabrielsangel79 chapter 1 . 4/2/2009
A beautiful piece.

I am sure Holmes as a studied chemist would be fascinated by the new discoveries.

But I have to agree with Watson, it doesn't matter if you are a scientist or a "normal" person, the world around us is complex and amazing, be it in the form of a butterfly or the treasure of a million trillion oxygen atoms captured in one's hand :o)
Olivia Greene chapter 1 . 4/2/2009
Heh, heh, poor Watson… I know how you feel: pretty much like I felt in Phys. and Chem. when I had to learn all about those nasty atoms and memorise mole numbers and half the * Table of Elements. *mutters about sadist teachers*

Oh, and the butterfly description is my favourite. It’s so scintillatingly lovely, so… almost magical. :)

And I love the idea behind this piece: the fact that the world is beautiful and complex no matter which way you look at it. The beauty is filled with complexity, and the complexity with beauty. Both the scientist and the aesthetist will see equal wonder in this world, whether by looking at a butterfly’s wing under a microscope and marvelling at the complexity in the detail and mathematical precision displayed every part of nature, or whether they simply marvel at the loveless of a butterfly as it floats past on a sunny day…

Speaking of which… this just gave me an idea: you’ve had Holmes talk about atomic theory, now what about him mentioning/explaining the Golden Section to Watson and see if the Doctor ‘gets’ this one better? XD That’s something else I can see Holmes enthusing about, since it pertains to everything, from a flower, to art, to human proportions, to music, to architecture, and the list goes on. It’s the mathematics behind visual and aural perfection.
KCS chapter 1 . 4/1/2009
That was gorgeously poetic and picturesque. I especially liked the description of the butterfly.

Poor Watson - I was lost myself in all the calculations. Another reason I majored in History and English, not Science and Math. :P