Reviews for Detached
a chapter 3 . 8/10/2011
I liked Charlie pondering the need for objectivity and how Don tried to call him on it when he behaved irrationally. I wonder... if this had been longer would Charlie have connected the need for objectivity with Don's request that he look into the suicide in 'Guns and Roses'? Don was anything but objective there and I always interpreted Don asking Charlie to look at the case as a way to compensate for his own lack of objectivity. At least, I never got the impression that Don truly believed it to be anything other than a suicide prior to the team discovering what was really going on. I thought it showed an amazing amount of faith in his brother that Don trusted Charlie to have his back in that manner.
Antigone1Evenstar chapter 2 . 6/5/2010
My favorite chapter in your fic. A brilliant job of writing, I believe.

And it would be just like Don to make himself a 'vent' for his dad and brother.
newgal chapter 3 . 4/5/2009
I didn't think about the parallels great job catching them and bringing them to life.
Patty chapter 3 . 4/4/2009
Interesting writing experiment, Valerie. You did well

on all three men.

Hurt feelings are always hard for me to understand

because words have rolled off my back like water. I've

recognized since I was quite small that people (even

friends and family, frequently say things they wish

almost immediately they could take back. Take most

everything said to you, both good and bad, with a grain

of salt. It'll prevent many a sleepless night.
Patty chapter 2 . 4/4/2009
I tried to check out your graphic but message said it had been moved or deleted.

When you get right down to it, Don (at the particular time this story supposedly took place)

didn't have anyone to unburden to. Doesn't make for a healthy mental state but, uhh, I'm more

than willing to listen . . . .
epalladino chapter 3 . 4/4/2009
Interesting insights into all three Eppes men and how they deal (or not) with their emotions. I also liked the images Thanks, Beth
Ms.GrahamCracker chapter 3 . 4/4/2009
I enjoyed all three of these stories and the connection between them was inspiring. I wonder if the writers were aware they used the same sentiment in Two Daughters between Charlie and Larry that was used in Structural Corruption between Don and Charlie. Knowing their track record for remembering canon, I doubt it.

I loved how Charlie's thought process graduated from realization to guilt to relying on Don to know when he was being irrational.

Well done. Thanks so much for sharing these with us.
newgal chapter 2 . 4/4/2009
I love this too esp from Alan's point of view. I remember the quote, but can't remember the details of the episode. Which one was it?
newgal chapter 1 . 4/4/2009
I love this. Great job. I always wondered about Don's reaction to that. Thanks for putting it into words.
Ms.GrahamCracker chapter 2 . 4/3/2009
How sad to think that Don did try to open up to his father and Alan just didn't realize it. Don certainly needs someone to vent to and share his feelings with. Maybe Robin fills that void now. If not, there's always Bradford. Ha Ha.

Anyway, once again, I think you nailed Alan's thoughts here. I also loved the references to Margaret and her telling Alan he needed to look at the deeper meaning in Don's words. She knew her son, didn't she?

Well done and good luck in the Numb3rs awards.
LOTRFaith chapter 1 . 4/3/2009
Thank you so much for writing this! I have felt the exact same way about Charlie's often open and raw emotions were as Don usually is calm and in control. This perfectly reflects Don's frustration D Well done!
Ms.GrahamCracker chapter 1 . 4/2/2009
I loved that line, as well, and I am thrilled to see you expand on it.

Charlie does have a tendancy to become emotional and Finn Montgomery's suicide really brought that out. He can also be stubborn and arrogant, but all of that is just part of his charm.

Don's detachment is a large part of his charm - it's how he deals, not just with the horrors of his job, but I think his detachment might have started when they were young and Charlie got all the attention.

At any rate, this was a wonderful insight to Don's thoughts that day. I also liked the reference to Don's mistake in Detroit. That made it more real and believable.

Well done and I'm looking forwad to the other parts.