Reviews for His stay in Umbria
SassyRaydorGirl chapter 2 . 1/13/2013
That was really good. I love this movie and can't believe I never saw this story before. Well done xx
BrokePerception chapter 2 . 11/1/2011
Perfect ending to an awesome story.
BrokePerception chapter 1 . 11/1/2011
I've read this so many times, and yet every time I watch the movie itself, I return to reading your story. It seems to fit perfectly - the story behind the story.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 2 . 12/4/2010
I love the idea of telling the story from Amy's uncle's pov. You keep him well in character, and his overall reaction is very believable: his exasperation and even dislike are not untrue, but they're just not the whole story. He hates that he's attracted to her, and he's not the most perceptive man at the best of times, so he really doesn't know how to understand it. So he sidesteps reason, reacts physically, blames her, and yet knows he's not being fully honest with himself. No wonder his only recourse is to leave Amy and leave the whole "House" and all that it means. Very perceptive.
tetleybag chapter 2 . 12/4/2010
Wow. The rating should have told me, but that came unexpected. It's perfectly plausible, though, including his reaction afterwards - and it makes him seem more human than the film version. Love the image of him buttoning up her gown before he carries her back. And it was great to get a glimpse into his head at the airport, just before the end. In the film, that had seemed a bit unmotivated to me, and I had wondered for the briefest instant whether that, too, was a dream.

Great, great story! Thanks for writing it!
tetleybag chapter 1 . 12/4/2010
Thank you so much for this! I'm sorry it took me so long to read it - it had somehow falen out of my mind - but I'm really glad I did, as it fills a big gap that I felt after watching the film.

My sympathies for Mr. Riversmith grew with every scene; I hadn't liked him at all when he first showed up, but after a while I wondered how he could do anything BUT flee this overpowering woman who does not understand or want to see that he functions differently. And thank you for showing his ambivalence of feelings, especially in your take on his thoughts on the phone conversation. That had puzzled me, but perhaps it was really that: a desire to connect with Francine, ignoring for the moment that that is not all he feels about Mrs Delahunty, because he also can't NOT be impressed and affected by the way she opens up her house.

Enough ramblings for now, on to part 2
the real snape chapter 2 . 1/29/2010
/He felt like being trapped in a mad house./ Great way to lead up to what follows.

/for once in his life let himself be ruled by instincts alone/ loved this!

/The image of Emily in the armchair at the dressing table would not leave his mind, only now he saw her awake and weeping quietly./ Love the way you tie this to the movie. And that he does think of her as 'Emily' now.
the real snape chapter 1 . 1/29/2010
/“Elderly english lady” really was not a description that fit her at all./ Indeed, no. Not if one has Miss Marple in mind.

/on rare occasions a glass of wine/ very rare, I should think. Francine does not strike me as the hospitable kind. Love this kind of detail!

/a skill he reluctantly admired while he watched her/ makes him so three-dimensional!

/They planned it for the next day and it turned out just the way he had imagined./ The poor man.

/What he had described over the phone was definitely just one side to a complex puzzle./ And she so hurt by it ...

/that he was not in need of her attentions/ talk about the walking wounded ...
Jooliya chapter 2 . 1/27/2010
I really like your story. The way you portrayed Riversmith is awesome - just like in the movie. The way you switch the plot is - I guess - something some of ous would have liked to see in the movie: Emily and Thomas together in bed. You did a wonderful job, describing Tom's emotional struggle with the situation and in my opinion, this makes the story so truly special. Congrats and thumps up for a wonderful read!

Julia
emjay79 chapter 2 . 8/2/2009
I really wish it had happened this way in the film. It would have been very satisfying to me to see him more human. I really love the bit where he pictures Emily in the armchair, only this time awake and weeping quietly.

You have a gift for painting pictures with your words.

Lovely job!

marijo
emjay79 chapter 1 . 8/2/2009
This really is a lovely story! You write beautifully, I love your descriptions and your interpretations of the characters thoughts, particularly since Chris is so closed, I find it very interesting to see things from his point of view.

I love the line "It was not like him to feel flattered, on the contrary, it made him uneasy." That is a fantastic line, and fits him so perfectly!

I also love the way you reveal how he really doesn't like Mrs. Delahunty, but at the same time is oddly drawn to her, and perhaps admires her more than he would care to admit.

Wonderful, wonderful writing!

So glad you shared:)
Mr-Spock1 chapter 2 . 7/3/2009
Liebe Micha!

Ich habe es dann endlich auch mal geschafft, mich herzuverirren…

Was soll ich Dir sagen?

Deine Widmung hat mich zuallererst mal aus den Schuhen gehauen, Du kennst mich einfach viel zu gut! Damit hatte ich nun nicht gerechnet und ich bin gerührt und danke Dir dafür!

Natürlich wäre ich gerne in Umbria, ich liebe die Figur von Emily und ich mag sehr, wie Du sie beschrieben hast. Liebevoll, detailgetreu und absolut so, wie ich sie auch empfinde.

Deinen Riversmith mag ich allerdings lieber als die Buch- und Filmvorlage, Du durchleuchtest ihn, machst seine Motive nachvollziehbar, erklärst sein Unbehagen Emily gegenüber und machst ihn damit menschlich und liebenswerter als die Vorlagen es vermuten ließen. Deinen Riversmith kann ich besser verstehen und damit auch mögen.

Und Deine eingefügte Szene finde ich absolut passend!

(Jedesmal, wenn ich den Film sehe, denke ich an besagter Stelle immer: Dieser IDIOT! Ich an seiner Stelle würde Emily vermutlich nicht so schroff abweisen (Okay, ich würde sie vermutlich gar nicht abweisen, aber das ist ein anderes Thema!) und denke mir immer, dass er sie auch auf eine wesentlich nettere Art hätte abwimmeln können.)

Seine Gründe, warum er ihr letztlich doch irgendwie nachgibt, wie er sich dabei fühlt, das ist absolut durchdacht und verständlich, und es erklärt letztlich auch, warum er Aimee dann doch bei Emily lässt, etwas, das man im Film wirklich nur erraten kann.

Ich bin ernsthaft versucht, Deine Geschichte in meinen Trevor einzukleben, weil irgendwie würde sie wunderbar hineinpassen.

Nicht nur, weil sie sich so entwickelt, wie ich es mit wünschen würde, sondern auch, weil Dein Stil absolut zu dem Trevors passt!

Auch beim wiederholten Lesen verliert Deine Story nichts von ihrem Zauber – ebensowenig wie der Film für mich seinen Reiz verliert, obwohl ich ihn schon hunderte Male gesehen haben muss.

Ich danke Dir für diesen unvergesslichen Ausflug nach Umbrien! Und dafür, dass Du mir den Film überhaupt vorgestellt hast!

Ich umarme Dich kräftig!

Deine Spocki
hermin22 chapter 2 . 4/23/2009
Well done! I really like it!
Lansburyfan1 chapter 2 . 4/17/2009
I sm so happy someone wrote a story for My House in Umbria. I absolutley love the twist you through in and how you wrote it in his point of view.
DailyProphetEditor chapter 2 . 4/11/2009
Gefällt mir gut!

V.a. bringst Du die Stimmung gut rüber - wie er sich zuerst abkapselt und eigentlich nur in Ruhe schreiben will, sich aber dann doch fast (aber eben nur fast) willig stören läßt, auch die zweite Begegnung im Laufe der Nacht. Es sind kleine Details, wie seine Gedanken über die von ihr geschriebenen Liebesromane, die das ganze so stimmig machen.

Und der letzte Satz der Geschichte gefällt mir auch sehr gut. Schöne Formulierung für das Ende.