Reviews for Shortcomings
featherwizard chapter 1 . 10/1/2015
I love this. It fits so well with the Iroh we see in the show - a great soldier, perceptive and wise, but also a bit prone to assuming others see things as he does and a bit blind when it comes to family.
Lost In A Dark Wood chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
Oh, wow... Have I really not read this before? This, like frosted flakes, is GREAT! I have no idea how this fic escaped my notice until now.
grandiose6 chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
this story is really really good! I like the take on human, fallible Iroh.
Kimberly T chapter 1 . 3/17/2011
Wow, this one hits like a punch to the gut.

Yeah, this is probably how Iroh actually felt, when tallying up his life while in prison.
X59 chapter 1 . 2/24/2011
brilliantly done.

Though the ending confused me.

Iroh only told Zuko that Azula had to be taken down in the final so unless I missed something you put an event of the final before the fall of Bing Sing Se and his time in prison.

OR you adding stuff to the timeline which makes me wonder how they happened.
CalliopeMused chapter 1 . 3/2/2010
Iroh is one of my favorite side characters, not that it's all that difficult to say when I like the grand majority of characters in the fandom. I found the stories in December, and since then I've been finding all sorts of character-studies to read. I'm always happy when fanon theories about characters are pretty widespread, such as the idea that Azula just might have been different if she'd had a little more outside attention at the right point, or just which points were the most important for certain characters.

Stories structured like this can drag really easily, but this one uses the form (repeated phrases, blocked off sections) to keep all of the sections as separate pieces of a longer story. This review may make more sense if written when I actually had decided to sleep, but sometimes I do my best writing and find the most interesting new stories when I just wander through the favorites with no kind of deadline in mind.

How often do parenthetical statements even work? If there were points, I'd give extra for making them go multiple times. I'm one of those entirely odd souls that analyzes punctuation, after entirely too many classes that look into how a comma can change the meaning of a sentence and then the passage and the meanings, so I always like seeing uncommon things that actually are used to their full (and intended) effect.

It occurs to me that my reviews make much more sense when it's not very early in the morning, but that they're typically shorter. Maybe it's an even trade.

I liked your characterization of Iroh, and of the characters he mentions.
Aristeia chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
Well done. The structure was interesting, short, and engaging.
Lokicat2002 chapter 1 . 9/6/2009
This could be the basis of an epic fic. Here's to hoping you feel more ambitious about it.
luckychaos chapter 1 . 5/27/2009
Wow. I always love Iroh fics, and this is no exception. Great work.
SoloMoon chapter 1 . 5/25/2009
I love this oneshot - sad and beautiful. I liked how you summed up events throughout canon from Iroh's perspective and offered a much harsher interpretation of his character than many people prefer to use. The ending especially was excellent, and the perspective offered on Azula was brutal but accurate.
MoonClaimed chapter 1 . 5/2/2009
Wow, I really like this. Everyone always makes Iroh out to be a saint-like, wise man who never did anything he regretted beyond failing in Ba Sing Se. Your take on things is refreshing, and the story is very well done.

I especially like the last segment.
Loopy777 chapter 1 . 4/13/2009
A lot of nice observations here, and I love the ending and the speculation for Iroh's motivations. If I had one nitpick, it's that I've never quite bought the idea of Ozai being jealous of Iroh; little brother was tossing lightning like it was nothing. But it's all reasoned very well.
tege chapter 1 . 4/4/2009
Excellent (as always) character study. I especially liked the Ba Sing Se part illustrating how Iroh went from being a man who could joke about burning the city to the ground ("Zuko Alone") to one who wouldn't oppose Ozai's power grab.
TheMightyErrg chapter 1 . 4/3/2009
That was pretty good. Very insightful. Keep up the good work.