Reviews for Signs
observer chapter 1 . 4/7/2009
The writing is good, and for the most part I liked the story; however you paint Cal as a god who is able to keep his emotions in check as he plays with Ria. That scene was the most emotional and not in control Cal has been in the show. I got the feeling that a lot of his responses were not in control as he tried to be. I think you’re close to getting that feeling with this story, but not quite there.
BrokenWings92 chapter 1 . 4/7/2009
Yay! I've been waiting for a Cal/Ria fic, keep up the good work. Please do more with these two;)
Belka chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
I like this pairing too, though I think it'll never work:)

Your story is really great, I'm looking forward for more fics on the same topic;)
reeves9 chapter 1 . 4/4/2009
Thank you! I've been waiting for someone to do a Cal/Ria fic.
LadyRavenclaw99 chapter 1 . 4/4/2009
Yes, someone finally wrote a Cal/Ria fic! I
a tattered rose chapter 1 . 4/4/2009
This was captivating. Cal/Ria certainly have an intense dynamic, and you've pinned that down well. I particularly like Ria showing 'wonder.' It's not a term I had associated with her, but it's very true. She often comes across as thugly abrasive, yet she does have a sense of joy, of wonder, when she stumbles across the truth - and Cal is probably the first person she's come across who appreciates this moment, even if he does tend to shove her away directly after.

"...Cal deduced that this was more than just a little intimate..." I adore this line. It has the quirk that keeps the mood from being drearily heavy, but heightens the dramatic tension. They do keep winding up a bit too close, and this is exactly what I'd believe his self-commentary to be. I'm attached to this entire paragraph actually - it's a tinge of the 'leacherous old man' vibe made slightly non-creepy, which is what I see in Cal in the show. It's a tension of the intellectual/academic and the personal. We can't control the latter and believe in the former, sometimes to confusing results.

I do have some trouble with some of the details. Does Cal wear ties? My mental image has him perpetually in a wrinkled shirt with the collar undone. Could she straighten that instead? If it is a tie, what's she doing? Just playing seems out of character given he's her boss, but if she's fixing the knot or straightening it, it comes across as an unconscious grooming gesture and illuminates her character. And I don't feel he'd tell her not to be sorry for what she 'knows.' Ria 'seeing' v 'understanding/knowing' is a running theme, so it strikes me as odd. He's always playing a dominant hand, even when apparently letting her find his secrets in his face, and verbage is the only dominance he can completely control.

The ending line is fabulous: the thesis of the piece and quite fitting. Personally, I think Cal is a little more in denial and restrained, given he still considers himself married to his ex-wife, but I'm perfectly willing to go along with the slightly looser interpretation you present.

PS: Checking your profile: I do think that Cal has a crush on Ria. And I can see her developing a crush on him as well, given that he's her mentor here, and lets her have intimate access to his person in self-conscious ways that no one else could (or would). Fanfiction away! But ultimately, I don't think they're the best couple for each other because neither is willing to be submissive in a relationship. And ironically, Cal is too well-adjusted (viz his relationship with Emily) for me to buy that he needs the freshness. Whereas we see Cal openly admitting things to Gillian which he never would to Ria. I see him more respecting choices made in adulthood rather than childhood baggage, and Ria simply hasn't had the opportunity to develop herself. Though Ria does, of all the main cast, appear to have the most emotional maturity regarding relationships, which is, perhaps, the 'in.'

Which is a little off the point, these review boxes are just too seductive. I would love to see more from you in this fandom!: fics, discussion, just chatting or whatever :) I may not 'quite' be right alongside you with the pairing yet, but you're pulling quite persuasively in that direction.
prefertoremainanonymous chapter 1 . 4/4/2009
Very subtle. I liked it. Not sure how I feel about the pairing, personally, but this was very well-written...very believable in terms of what they both were thinking.

Interesting interpretation. :)
DaniHelf12 chapter 1 . 4/3/2009
ah i always loved this pair hehe im so excited
Miss Mila chapter 1 . 4/3/2009
Aw, that was kinda sweet, even though I don't ship Cal/Ria.

There was just one thing bugging me. You wrote this line: "Oh no dear. Never be sorry for knowing", but I think the actual line was something like, "Never be sorry for what you see."

(I had to tape this one, so I rewatched this part).

Other than that, I thought it was great. Keep up the good work!

wrenbailey chapter 1 . 4/3/2009
Happiness, this was so perfect. loved it darlin, and i want you to do more with this one cause these two belong together
Blakcheart chapter 1 . 4/3/2009
I'm Callian, but I still really liked this. I tend to be flexible with ships...
nolongeractiveignoredelete chapter 1 . 4/3/2009
Nice job, I was wondering when someone would do a Cal/Ria fic ;)
42 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3