Reviews for At Loss
lili20 chapter 1 . 4/7/2009
Wonderful! I wish Sam would open like that in the show. I like your stories because they always give the reader hope and this story is no different.

Fav. line: "Maybe Sam was different, and maybe Dean was. But they still needed each other. And maybe, if they tried hard enough, they could change together"
Madebyme chapter 1 . 4/7/2009
Well done, this a great read! I really enjoyed the flashbacks from Bobby's perspective, they were appropriately simple but hard-hitting. Even after 4.09 I still feel like the show could delve more into Sam's hurt during this period, it still feels like a bit of unexplored territory to me!

It' so hard to see the boys so fractured and separated but here you tried to resolved some of their issues without 'fixing' all their problems and that makes for a great fic in my opinion, it doesn't change the shows direction just makes us all feel a little better. I really hope all it all gets resolved in the show, but I have a feeling we may have a long wait!

Great stuff and I'm overjoyed that the Sunday posts are back! Thanks for sharing and take care, Madebyme.x
Visionairy chapter 1 . 4/6/2009
This was an amazing story, and I am so glad you wrote it. The story flowed so well, and the emotions were handled perfectly. I loved the line, "But not for the low, raw voice that confided to the trunk, “You were gone.” I could absolutely picture and hear Sam looking directly into the trunk as he said those words to Dean, and it was so much more powerful that way. You are so good with the emotional details!

And I am doing a happy dance about the return of your Sunday fics! ...or should I say Sunday fix, because I've been in withdrawal lately. lol (And personally I would like to hear your touch on the last two episodes. I really enjoyed them and would like to read an added or extended scene from you on either or both of them. - A person can wish.) Thanks again for such a great story!
Katiki chapter 1 . 4/6/2009
See, now why can't we ever get a scene like this on the show? Thank goodness for fanfic writers.

I really liked how you portrayed Sam's breakdown at the end. Before, he would've been openly emo. But he has been hardened and changed by Dean's death(s) and the way you worked that in, the OCD organizing of the trunk and the blank surface, felt very realistic.
Landwing chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
Yet another proof that under everything-and there's a lot of everything-that's been heaped on them, they are still brothers. In case we-or they-ever forget that. Good job. chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
Great writing. You got spot on how their relationship has changed in Season 4, both of them changed by what they have gone through and reacting differently to each other. And loved the flashbacks, giving us insight into Sam when Dean was in hell. The characters of Dylan and Morgan Cross worked, with the younger mourning his sibling after Sam had to kill him when he attacked Dean, paralleling both Sam and Dean when the other had died.

Perfect ending, giving us some of what Season 4 has been missing - brotherly moments - with Dean silently comforting Sam, both boys may have changed but they still both need each other.

With the way it looks like Kripke is going to end Season 4 with brother against brother, this fic was so needed, unless he is going to do a U turn, but can't see that happening!
Tyranusfan chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
I really like this one, Kati! I loved the call-backs both to Lazarus Rising, I Know What You Did.., and Heart, really pulled together the losses Sam's suffered in recent months, while at the same time exploring Dean's frustration with the John-like hunter Sam transformed into while Dean was gone.

I also liked the mirror of the younger brother grieving over the older brother when Sam shot the werewolf, and I loved how Sam lost it a little and unloaded on the wolf when it attacked Dean.

Well done!
Liafrombrazil chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
It's so obvious, but it takes ages to be able to understand that everything changes and coping with that, especially if they're tough changes, could makes us stonger. Maybe the guys have to figure out these things on their own; even if their hearts are broken, eventually, a sunny day will return. At least, I feel this way when I read your stories.

Excellent use of flashbacks (filling in those holes, again...). You described perfectly Sam's sense of panic while Dean was gone. He felt trapped, powerless, lost. Flashbacks are almost always about past traumas, but they're signs of healing here.

This fic is full of hope. Although the hunt ended so sadly, it conduced to clarity of the guys' thoughts and feelings. And you know this ending - “You were gone.” - was so wonderful. It helps them and us to deal with changes.

Too many amazing lines, like the final one. I still don't know how, but you do it everytime. Thank you!

*I'd give up a toe to go to SPN fan con, but a Visa is a hard thing nowadays - sigh-*
darksupernatural chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
This was great! Loved the powerful ending.
Ash8 chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
Lovely hun.

Yes, they sure do still need each other. This really captured the differences that are between them now but also the things that remain the same.

I loved the flashbacks of Sam without Dean - heartbreaking. Also the similarities between Dylan and his brother... *sniff*

Thanks for sharing.

WaywardSon5160 chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
Another excellent adventure. I love your longer stories.

You know I'm actually nervous about what will happen next year to your stories when there's bound to be an even greater amount of turmoil between the brothers. (at least the way the plot appears to be heading) How will I get my fix for Hurt/Comfort stories when the finale promises to host brother versus brother for 3 episodes straight?

Meh, I trust in your abilities.

I am looking forward to three weeks of regular Sunday postings.

pandora jazz chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
What a surprise at the end - loved the parking lot scene as we finally got to see Sam show some emotion this season over Dean's death. Of course it had to be in fanfiction, but I'll take what I can get.

I like how you mixed in scenes of how Sam and Bobby were dealing with Dean's death.

I didn't expect Sam to admit that he missed his brother, so enjoyed the ending. Nice to see big brother is still needed.

Thanks for sharing another story with us.
RedDragen chapter 1 . 4/4/2009
That was a wonderful and strong short story. I really liked it.
Nana56 chapter 1 . 4/4/2009
Woohoo! Are you going to be able to make it? Awesome!

This was a great fic! It's good to see Sam finally dealing with the grief of Dean's loss. I'd love to see that, but Hell hasn't frozen over, yet, so probably no such luck. lol

No Ruby here, either. That's very nice. Sigh. Just all around well done, as usual. And you gave us a hug. :D Thank you!
Twinchy chapter 1 . 4/4/2009
Marvelous and well-written story, Hanna.

I loved the heartbreaking flashbacks to Bobby's caring for a devastated Sammy, and particularly the scene with Bobby offering absolution to the younger hunter after they had Dean back again.

The werewolf hunt in Texas portrayed the brothers' changes (and also their still being the same in so many ways) perfectly. It's always the little things that differ the most after spending so much time apart from each other.

Also, the Cross brothers really mirrored Sam and Dean's situation in a stunning way - and made the Winchesters reflect on what they had and even still have.

Yet, what stood out the most in your one-shot, was the gorgeous final scene with Sam crying in the parking lot and Dean comforting him at long last; bonding, like they should have done on the show ages ago already. *sniff*

Thank you, Hanna. You're warming my heart and making me feel fuzzy and content inside. *huggles*
56 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »