Reviews for The Last Resilient Hope
waddiwasiwitch chapter 1 . 12/17/2014
Yeah - this is Royai. You hit the nail on the head perfectly. Bravo.
NillyNarwhal chapter 1 . 3/16/2014
I love this. It shows their relationship so perfectly.
jessi chapter 1 . 9/7/2012
Great story, I really liked it!
Queen Bovine chapter 1 . 9/6/2012
It's strange , isn't it? Strange, that the two people who, on the outside, seem to have little affection for each other, and show nothing outside the boundaries of politeness, they are the couple who leave no doubt in the audience's minds that there is a deep, passionate, faithful love shared between them. Hiromu Arakawa achieved the pinnacle of storytelling to create such a tangible situation without showing or saying anything outright. Because of this fanfic authors get to create all the incredible moments and feelings that we never see, but undeniably know happened.

My goodness, did I just intelligently rant about a pairing? Look what you inspired me to write. Oh, right, this is supposed to be about YOUR story. Well, I really liked how Mustang felt like merely saying the three small words was so momentous. And Hawkeye's innate understanding of the great press of emotions driving him and her quiet support were incredible. Spot-on characterization. Well done.
Starship Artisan chapter 1 . 11/7/2011
Awwww *sniff* I loved that.
FMA-Critique chapter 1 . 6/23/2011
Beginning/Ending

10/10

Very nice start to the story. It was very basic, but at the same time simple. It got right to the scene that this one shot was taking place in. There were no unnecessary introductions to the setting or characters. We jump straight into Roy’s thoughts, which is what the fic is about anyways. Good start.

Amazing ending. You showed Riza and Roy’s connection to one another brilliantly in this final scene. It says to the reader that Roy and Riza do not need words to know that the other one loves them. Since this whole fic was Roy thinking, you ended it on a very strong note to have Riza not say anything to Roy’s comment about being in love with her. It shows their deep sense of understanding. Great ending.

Genre

10/10

Good choice to make this a romance/general fanfiction. I can very clearly see the romance in Roy’s thoughts towards Riza, and then in his confession to her in the end. And general works well too, since we are seeing Roy’s general thoughts throughout the story. Nice choice.

Plot

10/10

Very interesting idea for a plot. I enjoyed being inside of Roy’s head the whole time, and getting his take on Riza and what he was feeling right up to the Promised Day. It was an enjoyable read all the way through.

Originality

10/10

I liked the originality of this story. I love that this fic had no dialogue until the very end, and even still, it was only one line. I don’t see fics like this one very often where the reader is inside of the character’s mind the entire time. The way you showed Riza and Roy’s relationship was very deep and original.

Grammar

10/10

No grammatical errors found.

Characters

10/10

Perfect. Simply amazing. Roy and Riza are two very difficult characters to understand. But you captured them perfectly. Riza and Roy are two people who do not need words to know how the other one feels about them, and you showed that amazingly well in that last scene with Riza taking Roy’s hand. It’s almost as if she were saying “I know.” As for Roy, you did a great job showing the fear that he’s feeling leading up to the Promised Day. You showed that even though he is a high ranking state alchemist, he still has fears, because like everyone else in this world, he is only human. I also like the scene that you put in where Riza told Roy to rest, simply by looking at him, and he refused simply by looking back at her. Once again, great job, especially in this scene of showing how Roy and Riza have a deep, genuine understanding of one another. I like how you described them as basically being two halves of the same whole.

Consistency

10/10

Since the story stayed on the same scene the whole time, the story was consistent. However, even Roy’s thoughts felt very consistent and not jumpy at all. So good work with that at least.

Keeping True to the Manga

10/10

You kept it very true to the manga. You did not insert anything new that would make the reader confused. I also like how you included this scene as a kind of “what if” sort of scenario to them being underground just before the Promised Day. You made it very believable that this could have been something that happened in the manga.

Summary

5/5

Great summary for this story. It automatically draws the reader in. It makes it sound dramatic and interesting to read.

Title

3/3

Perfect title for this story. The words fit very well to the plot and everything that is going on.

Overall amazing fanfiction. This is one of the best stories I’ve ever read when it comes to capturing Roy and Riza’s relationship with one another. You clearly show a very deep understanding of the manga and the characters in it. You took the time to proofread your story to check for typos and errors, leaving none. I can see that you really care about the stories write. For that, you get a very positive review.

Final Score: 88/88

This fanfiction gets an A.

(For explanations and descriptions for these categories and scores, you can visit our profile page.)
mebh chapter 1 . 6/29/2010
"He wasn't going to die, and neither was she. He wouldn't let her." - This line speaks such volumes about Roy and Riza. Your understanding of the characters and the landscape in this piece is nothing short of amazing. One of the those works that leaves you wanting more but by the same token is so complete and tightly written it's perfect.

The handling of the characters is so touching, particularly the internal dialogues you have running throughout, then that little piece of dialogue from Roy right at the end - a punctuation of sorts and startling for its standing alone. So not only are you 100% with style, but that device and pacing was really well handled.

Thanks for sharing!
Merle's Right Hand chapter 1 . 2/1/2010
Such cuteness. This was a wonderful Royai. Thanks so much!
KaiSea chapter 1 . 12/4/2009
Oh my god! This is the essence of Royai awesome!

One of the best things is I can show it to non-manga readers since it still fits and it's just... god it sounds stupid when I say it aloud but honestly... THE BEST RoyXRiza story ever, I can see the shadowed warehouse, I can see them leaning there, waiting for the moment. That tension within Roy slowly building up.

And just the words, no actions, something you could easily miss, it's just the same as the way the story portrays it.

Are you planning anything on chapter 100 when the series ends? I'm not saying what happens in case you haven't been keeping up but it's big. But I can't see how you could do anything on it without it becoming dated later unless you wait until the end.

Best wishes on any further writing, and happy Christmas even if it's a bit early.
IllaSc chapter 1 . 4/22/2009
Oh my gosh, I have tears in my eyes. That was beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

It was so painstakingly in-character. Like you said: no kisses, no over-the-top-ness. Because then it just wouldn't be them.

The line that ended with "I love you:" I gasped. It was perfect.

Good job. This is a wonderful tribute to Roy and Hawkeye's relationship.
German Jerky chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
Excellent work.

I like your writing. It's not too vague, but not too over the top. Although, I have to agree with Dailenna about the 'side' thing, thought. It sounds repetitive. Other than thought, it's nice.

Good work.
Dailenna chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
Ee! Royai! All for me! *reads eagerly*

"Once the pawns have begun to advance towards the other side of the board, the king is left alone at the edge...with his queen." I really like the chess metaphor. It's so much fun to play around with, and you've found a nice little part of the metaphor that I haven't seen before, so kudos to you!

Roy's complete capture of her image (being able to close his eyes and still see the movements; being able to paint her - if he was an artist) gives such a feeling of intimacy. While she may not put her knowledge of him in just the same way, I'm sure that she would be just as intimate with the workings of Roy Mustang.

"And occasionally a phone call to say, I've captured something very...strange or, I've decided to go fishing, Elizabeth." Hehehe, those lovely calls are always the signal that more Royai is coming up, too. Gotta love the calls.

"He couldn't imagine facing the end with anyone else by his side. At times, it felt like they were born to face death side by side." Hmm, ending two sentences with "side" seems a little repetitious. I'd reccomend "together" for the second one, instead of "side by side".

On that, still, I love the idea that they were born to face death together. It gives them impression that when they do finally die, it'll be at the same time, and one won't have to live on in agony without the other.

Ee! I love her reaction to the "I love you". It fits with the fact that they're so used to silence, and it's just so lovely. In a movie it wouldn't be quite right - it'd seem incomplete, because you can't see what's going on beneath the surface - but it's perfect in a story. Lovely. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Thank you so much, Grizzy - it's a beautiful birthday present!
momiji-k chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
Lots of great detail. I don't know the song so I have no idea what part of this is lyrics or inspired by the lyrics but I thought this was very lovely and heartfelt.
Deniece chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
Sweet, gentle and perfect. Thank you. Warmed my heart.
xnalu chapter 1 . 4/5/2009
Beautiful; you really describe their relationship well. Made me tear up a couple times.