Reviews for Following Orders
Zikarn Krais chapter 3 . 2/13
If you suck any harder on Tony, I think he'll start blowing.

Seriously.
erik chapter 10 . 10/1/2014
A great story... but complete?
Guest chapter 10 . 4/20/2014
oh I wish they would kill McGee off. He's such a bumbling clueless fool who never gets hurt but is responsible for getting his team mates hurt. Great story.
Taisi chapter 10 . 12/15/2013
This was absolutely stunning. A wonderful side of DiNozzo, and very thoughtfully laid out. I've been going through the series again, wondering when I missed McGee's transition from irritable to downright disrespectful when it came to Tony, and you've encapsulated it perfectly, went great lengths to make McGee understand, high-lighted the most difficult aspects of being a Senior Field Agent and at the same time just how easy Tony makes it all look. I enjoyed every moment of it.
BuckeyeFan00000 chapter 8 . 10/3/2013
Oops, should have re-read the entire chapter 7.
Gibbs did ask. Now it surprises me that Gibbs would be willing to take him on in the SFA position.

I apologize for running on my fingers without complete information.

BuckeyeFan00000
BuckeyeFan00000 chapter 7 . 10/3/2013
Hi,
Re-reading "Following Orders" (really like it) and something just came to my mind that Gibbs could have asked Tim to see if he was ready to be his SFA.
Gibbs: Hey, McGee?
McGee: Yes Boss?
Gibbs: If you'd been in Tony's position back at the hotel, could you have shot me?
If Tim had hesitated with his answer then Gibbs would have had HIS answer.

But of course it couldn't happen that way in your story because that would have been the end of the story. :-)
It just gave me food for thought.

BuckeyeFan00000
Niwaki chapter 10 . 11/13/2012
finally he understands!

please continue this soon
Tiva-McAbby4Life chapter 10 . 9/15/2012
Great story! You wrote all the issues in SO well and handled them beautifully! I loved all of it! Amazing :D
smartkid37 chapter 1 . 7/27/2012
Stories like this make me want to see Tim leave this team and move on up the ladder - elsewhere. he deserves much better than this team ever gives him.

Tony's earned the right to treat Tim like crap,invade his persoanl life all the time and submit false expense reports in Tim's name?

seriously?

Yabbit chapter 9 . 4/27/2012
heh...

:P
anon chapter 10 . 1/28/2012
Stories like this make me want to kick McGee's ass. It doesn't matter whether he likes or respects his SFA or acting team lead-it's his JOB to follow ORDERS, especially in the field! If he can't, he needs to transfer his ass somewhere else where he can! Hopefully growing a sense of humor and a sense of proportion, in the process.

I don't see why Tony should have to take a promotion if he doesn't want to. He likes his job as is, why should he have to change just because some people think it's the next step?

Personality issues aside, I did like the story. The interaction between Gibbs and Tony was great, and McGee finally got something of a clue, near the end.
poppaeasabina chapter 10 . 10/18/2011
Great story. Everyone is in character (eh, I'm not 100% sure about Tim's mental processes or Gibbs's nurturing qualities, but well within author's prerogative). I have a different take on Gibbs's Mexican jaunt and the fallout when he returned than just about anybody else, I suspect.

First, I don't believe that Tony resented Gibbs for leaving. No. Tony is a cop, and cops burn out. Dedicated cops burn out really HARD, and remember that Gibbs had lost years of adjusting to the fact that the people at the top are b*stards. (Remember when Secnav told Ari to shoot Ducky?) I assumed that Tony recognized that Gibbs had burned out and had to GET OUT before he ate his gun.

Second, I think everybody on the team adjusted to Tony's leadership DURING Tony's leadership. But they did miss Daddy which is why Ziva called him when she was in trouble (Ziva having worse Daddy issues than Tim or even Abby).

Third, EVERYBODY on the team took out their anger at Gibbs on Tony because they trusted him not to leave! They trusted him to take their sh*t and not stop loving them. He was the parent who didn't run off the Mexico with his ex. Nobody ever called Gibbs on his desertion-or anything, really-because they didn't trust him not to leave them again! For the same reason they exaggerated and continue to exaggerate Gibbs's virtues. This is the way FAMILIES behave.

Fourth, Gibbs returned in such a curmudgeonly way because he felt guilty about the way he left, so he had to act like a jerk to prove that he wasn't in the wrong.

Fifth, Tony never called Gibbs on his sh*t, although he should have defended Agent Lee,for the same reason as everybody else-he didn't trust Gibbs not to leave them again. Really, these seasons are an object lesson in why teams should NOT think of each other as family.

Sixth, Ziva gave Tony an extra ration of sh*t because she felt guilty about not taking her problems to him as Team Leader (see Fourth, above).

Seventh, Tim gave Tony an extra ration of sh*t because he was angry at Gibbs for demoting him from SFA, but found it necessary to redirect his anger to the person who WASN'T GOING TO LEAVE.

Eighth, why Tony acted out so much in Season Six: because he was carrying the emotional ball for the whole team.

Richefic, you always deliver the goods. Thanks especially for the SeriousTony and for McGee working it out.
Guest chapter 10 . 7/2/2011
McGee, for all his supposed brilliance, has NO people skills-and that's what makes a superior agent, after all the research and technical work has been done. You can learn the technical side, but if you don't have the people skills, you'll only get so far.

Whether he likes Tony's methods or not, Tony IS the Senior Field Agent. You don't pick and choose whose orders to obey-either you do your work right, or you transfer to somewhere else, where you can.