Reviews for You wouldn't dare
Larner chapter 1 . 11/19/2011
Indeed his hubris was his downfall! Love it! Yes, this of the Master's creatures none of the rest of us truly wishes to own! Shivering!
some girl chapter 3 . 11/8/2011
That was a really intresting take on a moment I never gave much thought to. I liked your portrail of the duel and your concern for Aragorn's honour. Would he kill a messenger? I think maybe he would, provoked and desperate as he was, i think it makes him more real, more human. A really enjoyable read though!
Darkover chapter 3 . 2/13/2011
Dear Mirach: I loved this. Personally, I wouldn't have had a problem with Aragorn dispatching the Mouth of Sauron at the end of the first chapter-they were at war, and as you indicated, this "messenger" would have killed Aragorn under any circumstances, without hesitation. And, as you portrayed him, he would have regarded any forbearance on Aragorn's part as "weakness." But chapters two and three are so good that I'm not complaining. Thank you for writing and posting this. Sincerely, Darkover
TygerTyger23 chapter 3 . 1/5/2010
I like this a lot :) Having it from the mouth's point of view is a really cool effect
Lasgalendil chapter 2 . 6/16/2009
Yes! I agree with your AN 100%! Regardless of his manners, the Lt. of Sauron is under the protection of parley...if you pardon the Pirates of the Caribbean reference.

And again, you are right. The minions of Sauron would have the arrogance and audacity to think that love and honor were both cowardly and weak. All I can say is...he's about to learn the truth! In a fair fight, Aragorn, as the King of the West and in many ways (as you've so demonstrated, a Christ figure), would have no moral qualms and no physical difficulty in completely whomping on him. A Singer of the Song will always defeat the pale mockery of Melkor's music. Interesting, that the powers of evil continue to speak with the words and mouths of others...I hadn't thought of that before!

Anyways, I'm glad you've continued this, and I am very grateful for the direction you've taken with it. Peter Jackson did very many good things for these books, but in many ways his 'Hollywoodized' version takes away from the symbolism and honor that is so ever-present in Tolkien's literature. Aragorn slaying The Mouth of Sauron would be no better than the slaughter of Gelmir in the Silmarillion.

I absolutely love how well you have managed to get into the voicing of Sauron's most trusted Lieutenant: obsessive, greedy, arrogant, and power hungry. He is consumed by both the Eye...and himself.

Lots of love, and best of luck with the updates!
Lirulin-yirth-k'aio chapter 3 . 6/8/2009
Oh... no words, no nothing. Just standing in the middle of the battlefield watching...

(P.S. Thanks again, Lady-Star - thanks for every word of yours..)
Ragnelle chapter 3 . 6/8/2009
Very well done, all three chapters. And I must say I am happy that you did not end after the first - but then Aragron's despiceble behavour in the movies has anoyed me ever since.

You manage to convey to us the sneer in the Mouth's voice througout chapters, very well done.

One thing only bothered me in this chapter with the description of the fight. I do not doubt that it was realistic and accurate, but it became to me a little too tecnical and correct. I think it was the use of the words "diagonally" and "horisontally" that did it. While the words are very presise, they feel too modern for the setting, especially since you write in first person. Tolkien used only (or nearly so) Anglo-Saxon based words and "diagonally" and "horisontally" are not. They stick out, and more so since your choice of words othervise are very good and fitting.

Changing this will mean that you have to re-wrtie, but I think it is possible to do without loosing the clarity of the descriptions. Instead of "It will come diagonally from above" you could write "You will cut from shoulder to hip" or something to that effect. You have already stated that the blow will come from above, so you do not have to repeate that unless for some stylistic purpose. And if you describe where on the body of the opponent the sword will cut, you will give us an even clearer picture of the blow than the more abstract "diagonally".

If you can describe the path of the sword both here and when Aragron strikes from the side, you will both be able to give us an even clearer and more physical image of the stikes, and get rid of those modern words that jars the description. And you story will be even better.
lindahoyland chapter 3 . 6/8/2009
I love the way you show the Mouth's overwhelming arrogance that leads to his despises all that makes Aragorn great!

A minor typo - "when I thought that you will kill me" It should be "would" rather than "will" here.
StarLight9 chapter 3 . 6/8/2009
This was a great ending of the story. I wonder if the Mouth realizes how his thoughts clearly show how afraid he is of Aragorn and that he secretly respects him. If Aragorn is indeed a "worm" for him, as he is trying to believe and to convince himself more than anyone, he wouldn't stay there and watch him fight, study his movements and his injuries - he wouldn't have bothered with him at all. I like it how you have shown that he fears Aragorn even if he keeps claiming otherwise. I'm glad his "good leader" strategies, such as hiding behind the army, didn't help him in the end! And a nice allusion to what might have been - the Months desire to take Aragorn to Sauron bound in chain brings some memories!
Destined Darkness chapter 3 . 6/8/2009
aha i know that well, from fighting in tae-kwon-do, you cant think about what ur going to do after the fight, you cant think about the person you are fighting as ur friend, you cant think of them as ur enemy, you must think only of how you are defending urself against them, as soon as u let ur mind wander u've lost, thats what happened to me, and now look, i am banned from tournaments and where did that lead to me quitting, my only joy was fighting, i was good at it, oh look at me rambling, lol this is good keep writting
Lirulin-yirth-k'aio chapter 2 . 6/6/2009
Oh my...

It's brilliant, Mirach - it's dark and sparkling, like a black diamond...

I love it - that's what I still can say)
Aelaer chapter 2 . 6/4/2009
Oh, I like. That part always bugged me in the extended version- I'd rather have him be in the battle and them fight to the death.

Though, my preference, if I am to be honest, is that the Mouth of Sauron *lives* after Sauron's fall and then causes trouble in the 4th Age. And he has a personal vendetta against Elessar *evil cackle*

Someone needs to write that one day.
StarLight9 chapter 2 . 6/3/2009
I am very happy that you decided to write a second part and correct the mistake in the movie. I agree that Aragorn would never do such a thing, even if it might feel good. The Mouth has a long way to go before he learns what real strength means, and I doubt that he ever will. So he and Aragorn will meet in battle? Good. I am looking forward to that.
lindahoyland chapter 2 . 6/2/2009
This is excellent and very true to how Aragorn would act and what the Mouth would think.
Firefly-ish chapter 2 . 6/2/2009
Even though I still prefer the version of chapter 1, since you wrote it so greatly and I do not agree that it would have weakened Aragorns character- on the contrary, I think it made it very clear for all to see that hes not to be crossed, which undoubtedly would have been quite encouraging for his watching men- I liked this chapter as well, and you solved it very elegantly!

Good form. Very good form indeed.

;D Keep up the good work!