Reviews for Play The Game
Peabodythecat chapter 1 . 12/5/2014
This was wonderful.
ladyowl chapter 1 . 9/24/2013
awww. :) cute Linus. and responsible(?!) DannyandRusty...
harmonyhelms chapter 1 . 1/2/2011
This was awesome! Its so rare to find a fic with just the three of them! I will admit that half-way through when Rusty got shot, I started to get worried. I had to keep reminding myself that this was labled humor so they weren't gonna die! Really great writing, and once again you have the characters down perfectly!
Hijokugei chapter 1 . 12/31/2010
That made me D'aww and EEK all at once.
LegendMyth chapter 1 . 7/9/2010
That was so wonderful! I mean, aside from the fact that I always hate it when Danny or Rusty gets hurt, I really liked it. A lot. And I really like the idea of Danny and Rusty being like big brothers to Linus.
PeanutTree chapter 1 . 3/17/2010
Okay, okay, I said probably no more reviews tonight, but wow. I feel like you took the bumbling, struggling character of Linus and made it into something the reader can recognize. In this, Linus matured from a regular guy who happens to like conning people into a centered man with confidence. I loved it, especially the family feeling at the end.
Saphimire Karishnikova chapter 1 . 12/11/2009
"sexually ambiguous" Ah, Rusty/Danny. XD
damncritic chapter 1 . 6/27/2009
aww! i love this! i love the way linus tries his best to impress danny and rusty, and how they protect and guide him (despite their unrelenting teasing).
Elle chapter 1 . 6/22/2009
Very interesting. Certainly didn't laugh at this one but it was incredibly well written...I was *there*. Nice work!
DannyOcean chapter 1 . 5/28/2009
Hahaha I loved the delorean bit! I was laughing so hard I started crying! I can so see them saying that! The part where danny's beat up was excellently written. If you'd like a story idea, you could write a different version of this story where they DONT get out so easy...
ParisAmy chapter 1 . 4/28/2009
Later,” he said abruptly and chose to hang up the phone while he was still cool.

It was two minutes before he realised and swore and called them back and told them the where and the when.- Aha, i do love Linus.

and i can't stop laughing at the image i have of Rusty frowning at the pasta "like it had betrayed him."
Jusmine chapter 1 . 4/17/2009
I meant to read this days ago, but now I'm kind of happy that I left what looks to be a lovely story (haven't read it yet) to read when I'm depressed about being informed that I need to get glasses. :D

(And, wow, that was a long sentence. lol.)

Oh, I just love Linus! He's so adorable. _

"Danny and Rusty. They were everything he wanted to be. But, God, they were annoying."

That is the greatest line ever in anything ever! Awesomeness! _

Stole... a warehouse? As in, they actually stole the building...? Or just the wares? lol.

And they're terrified of Molly. Is that something I don't know about because of not having seen 12 or 13...? Or just Danny and Rusty?

"The sense of relief was immense and immediate and Danny and Rusty weren't quite quick enough to keep it off their faces and it hurt so much."

P-p-poor Linus! *sobs for him* But I'm glad that he figured out that they did it on purpose. _

“My son sold his high school.”

Still priceless. _

That was so sweet! Aside from the getting shot and the beating and that, I mean. _
rr chapter 1 . 4/16/2009
I loved this so much, I read it three times in a row! Danny and Rusty looking out for Linus is just so aw! And Linus going along with the jokes even though he's not sure what's going on is so brave and noble of him - I just want to hug them all :)
InSilva chapter 1 . 4/16/2009
Oh, I LOVE it! It’s fabulous. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

Adore the timing and the heroworship and the doubt about impact on others and his own worth and everything Linus. Just perfect.

Linusworry starting with the first paragraph and imagining the call screening and deducing the annoyance and wondering if he’s pushed things and so, so him.

Danny answering and immediately throwing Linus. Of course. And Danny seeing Linus’s number and quite aware that Linus would be thrown.

Giggling for the Linuslogic that queries the shower at lunchtime and Danny heading that off at the pass with the very definite non “Something about Mary”. Somehow, don’t think Linus gets the reference. Just knows when it’s best to nod quietly and store it up for later. Now have vision of him watching the film months later and going “Ah…”.

Love the stammering explanation and the “All of the painting” makes me laugh out loud. Love the attempt at casual and of course Danny isn’t fooled for a second. Not that it matters. Danny and Rusty both know Linus and love him for what he is. And ambitious!Linus is whooping at seconding Danny and Rusty even while nervous!Linus is amazed.

Sighing for the Dannyplay. Oh, he is wicked. And Rusty’s contribution doesn’t help in the slightest.

Smiling for the mysterious and even more for the complete lack of coolness in forgetting to actually tell them details of the meet. Can see Rusty’s face as he hangs up and can hear Danny chuckling and them both looking at the phone and waiting for it to ring again.

Their approval for his work so far. All that Linus could ask for. Imagining him swelling up with pride. Love Danny getting straight to the heart of the problem and Rusty reminding him of another little detail.

Jerry and Gregory. And for once, they’re not playing him in the slightest but love that his mind immediately leaps to the possibility. Oh, Linus. This is why they *do* play you so often. You’re just so much fun.

Can see Linus listening and learning and loving just being with them and living the magic.

Sigh for the question and the immediate, joint decision to play him which doesn’t need words, doesn’t need a look of consultation, doesn’t need anything. Just too tempting for both, for either, and they know immediately how the other one feels.

Linus living the rollercoaster of working with Danny and Rusty. "Brilliant and confident and effortlessly, artlessly cool" and everything he aspires to be. And naturally he wants to solve the problem himself and casually drop into conversation that that is all sorted. He's Linus, after all. And can see him walking into the room and being determined not to be distracted by the fake moustaches or the marzipan fruits and leaning casually-but-not up against a wall and showing them how proactive he's been only to have the bubble burst seconds later by the truth. They love him. But he is so easy to play. And he loves them. "But, God, they were annoying."

The buzz of success rippling through them and then Gregory Hart and his men and the several weapons rain on their parade. In spite of which, I'm giggling for the "Wrong room" and the “I'd remember that nose" though the man is definitely the Hillary of the heights of idiocy. And never mind Linus, I want to ask how they stole the warehouse. Very David Copperfield. Not in a Dickens sense.

Wincing for Linus in unknown territory and so glad that he has Danny and Rusty there. Because this could have happened another time and place and it could have gone very differently. Love that he can join in with the banter. And not sure whether you are going Newbolt with the title "Play up, play up and play the game" and stoicism or the more deep voice of Not Whether You Won or Lost but How You Played the Game and not entirely sure it matters because the point is surely that this part of the game is as important as the other. And it's still about what sort of man you are.

Linus apologising. Painful. His heroes and he's let them down. And love that they tell him how wrong he is. Sigh for the cops line and also for the other extreme and the Bobby and the Molly double threat makes me smile. "Have you met your mother?" *g* But of course, this is all new and terrifying for Linus. Protected and never, never in this situation and actually, he is protected again by those who in a very definite way consider him their responsibility.

The scene with Halfmond and Hart. Could be law firm. Or a TV show. I digress. And the violence up close and personal and Linus's pov works so brilliantly. Love "the impossibility of seeing Danny hurt" - OW. And Linus's instincts, the bravery and the protectiveness think that Danny and Rusty are so very proud of him. Wry amusement for Rusty deflecting attention from Linus and Danny doing the same from Rusty. And the awful moment of the shooting. (Plus you know, thank you on this point). And Rusty burying the pain and his voice and his eyes just for Danny, talking him down from the irrational. Incidentally, can still hear him saying "Peachy". Just a very, very right word. Linus witnessing the banter and trying to join in even when he feels how surreal it is. Sidenote, Red Dwarf crossover? Oh, that should work somehow.

Clever of them to double bluff the bad guys and the only shame is that it fools Linus necessarily too. But they did tell him. “We know these people,” "We know how they think - “ “ - what they want.” And it would hurt them that they had to hurt him and they would see the determination to stand up to the pain and would be proud all over again even while they're concentrating on making him seem of no consequence.

Smiling for the attempt from both of them to force the spotlight on them. Danny insisting Rusty is feeble and Rusty denying and both with similar motivations. And OW for the violence carried out on Danny because I can hear that punch too. You are determined to do that balance thing. I really, really hope you held on to that plane ticket. Linus miserable and helpless and seeing the unspoken anguish in Rusty too and of course he's not the only one. Jerry is seeing it. That's why he knows how to punish the Rusty feint that we know has more to it than an escape attempt. Incidentally, much love for the attempt to protect. Of course.

Aftermath and the them banter as they look over each other's wounds and the reminder that they've been through this before. Love the movie references. Naturally. ;) And giggling for the Keanu.

Linus seeing and not seeing and also let in to a side of them that they never show to the outside world and then the realisation dawning and the calm statement from them that this is just how it is. Smiling for the marching band and the Bobbypride which means so much to Linus. The affirmation.

Oh, Rusty and the superglue. All shades of idiot and love the inability of Linus to identify truth from fiction. Rule of thumb is that if it sounds too weird to be true, it usually is. Trouble with that is that all of their stories sound too weird to be true. Love the invocation of Saulwrath that immediately puts a stop to the whole thought.

Slight ow for Linus being the only one who doesn't realise that they have already escaped, they're just still sitting in a locked room. And of course, they would have told him sooner. They were slightly distracted. Love the precise time and the return of the watch and the advice on the sentimental. Still teaching, still learning.

Smiling at the painstaking Linus who has memorised the plans and shaking head at the Rusty DeLorean desire and sighing for the pair of them in the backseat and trusting Linus to take care of both of them.

And at the same time, they are taking care of him. Keeping him busy, not letting him be alone, showing him how to deal, what to do and waiting, waiting for him to talk about how he felt.

" “We're not stupid - “

“ - or crazy.”

Linus nodded. He'd never have guessed"

Smiling.

Love Linus's quiet statement of intent and the genuine warmth and approval beaming back at him. Lovely moment.

Giggling for the treacherous pizza and the "cool older brothers" who will drive Linus crazy in more ways than one.

And final sigh in this thing of beauty is the honesty from Linus and the belief from Danny and Rusty. And the "strange, sad confidence" that is all about the fact that they doubt it's the last time for Linus to face down the bad guys and the absolute wish that they're wrong.

And last line is lovely. All that Linus wants.

Thank you so much. Really, really wonderful story. Feel very honoured. As always.
amitai chapter 1 . 4/14/2009
(grin) I laughed and bit my lip and freaking ADORED Linus, and - oh. It was so so beautiful. Seriously. Short review, because I'm behind on my O11 fics and have a lot of your stuff to read. _

Beautiful. Your Danny and Rusty are just picture perfect!