Reviews for Call of Duty
Book girl fan chapter 1 . 10/3/2012
I think that monograph would be a great idea! It really is amazing who many tones can be put into one word, isn't it?
ShiftingWinds125 chapter 1 . 5/25/2009
That was a good story! I liked it!
Tristan-the-Dreamer chapter 1 . 4/13/2009
I confess I'm not sure what to think, exactly. Are you going for a comic effect or a serious one? Holmes, here, is deflecting the tension with humor, while Watson is trying to be serious and deal with an injured man, of a dubious character.

It seems like you "blacked out" the story right before some serious confrontation. The monograph bit is good-I'm always impressed by specificities and the way you had him pin down the subject of the hypothetical monograph, then keep mentioning it as Watson spoke, seemed true to life.

Oh, perhaps I'm being a nitpicky jerk, nothing more. It's only I don't know what I am supposed to come away feeling from this story. For example-I'll blush to crimson if I get this wrong-but isn't it you who writes all the "Things that never Happened to Holmes,"? Well, for instance-in the one with Moriarty, I come away feeling definitely hollow and sad, I know this grief in every word. Or the trifle one, it makes me grin, but with a tinge of bittersweet.

This story baffles me as to what the predominating emotion is-unless, perhaps your very point is to give the sense of confusion that a friendship sometimes has, where no one is exactly sure what to do or think or feel or say?

Ah! Please know I mean no offense, though my clumsy words might belie that plea!

~Tris
Westron Wynde chapter 1 . 4/13/2009
"I really ought to do a monograph on how different inflections of the voice can change the meaning of a single word or name" - LOL! That's a world-beater of a title, Mr Holmes :) I'd like to read it though.

Well explained. I'd always wondered about that too. A nice illustration of how two very different people can having opposing views on the same situation. Having said that, I think I'm with Holmes on this one...
Guest chapter 1 . 4/13/2009
Hihi, not quite what I expected based on the summary, but very entertaining nevertheless. "A monograph on how different inflections of the voice can change the meaning of a single word or name". :D

Minor spelling correction here: "“Holmes,” I protested sotto voice, "

It should be sotto voce, as the expression is Italian.
Literatech chapter 1 . 4/12/2009
Most enjoyable! I do believe you've gotten Holmes' wit and humor down pat. Thank you for this.
Cat chapter 1 . 4/12/2009
Charming oneshot! Thank you for the laugh!
rabidsamfan chapter 1 . 4/12/2009
LoL! Oh, wouldn't I have just loved to hear Brett and Burke doing this bit!
Runa93 chapter 1 . 4/12/2009
Very good writing, as usual!

I particularly liked this part:

"You know,” said he, taking my arm and leading me back, “I really ought to do a monograph on how different inflections of the voice can change the meaning of a single word or name. This particular dialogue is especially enlightening in that respect.” "

And:

“Holmes.”

“Now I shall certainly have to write up that monograph.”

“Holmes!”

*Giggle*

Thats Holmes from begginig to end!

Also i never did notice this! Its true, why DID Watson let the surgeon take over when he was a pretty qualified doctor himself? He's not that type of a person at all!

Thanks for an awsome stroy and great read!

Runa
KCS chapter 1 . 4/12/2009
I remain amazed how your writing can go from being philosophical to adorable in so few words.

And I would really like to read that monograph...
heartofShou chapter 1 . 4/11/2009
Cute! This is pretty cool because I've been wondering this point for myself so it's nice to have a nice little something to provide the answer. The dialogue (if it may be called that- lol) between Holmes and Watson was hilarious and very endearing. Thank you for sharing!