Reviews for Harry Potter and the Balm of Time
xRemusFreakingLupinx chapter 8 . 7/16
I can't breathe. my queen remus has made a joke, James parents are alive even though this led on his 7th year, and it's a Harmione
ameedreamer chapter 18 . 5/14
Hi, there. Don't know if you'll read this, but I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am that you wrote this fic.
I read it a long time ago, when I didn't even how how big the HP fandom really was and the world of fanfiction was something still new to me and I was too shy to review. This was one of the first full length Harmony stories I read, and my first contact with the time travel trope, which would become my favorite, specially because it often involves The Marauders. They really come to life in your story as characters, and are now one of the things I love the most in the HP universe. And all because of you.
So thank you, so, so much. Your writing is amazing, I love how Hermione and Harry's relationship progresses and their interaction with the Marauders is what I live for. This story is amazing and will always hold a place in my heart.
Love, Amanda
Blazeb79 chapter 19 . 4/9
Lol this was a good story i liked it, the whole paradox thing got a little cloudy but to each their own.
Deathcrow chapter 1 . 3/2
Okay, you can write well enough, but I can't read a story that's not even trying to make sense of its plot. There are so many inconsistencies here, not to mention the broken time travel. It really doesn't work for me at all.
tricorvus chapter 1 . 2/24
This was recommended by another author and I can certainly see why
Damn good start
Rock on
mvela036 chapter 19 . 2/13
Fantastic work! Loved your characterizations of Harry and Hermione. The way you made the story unfold really made their romance feel earned, especially since you were coming straight from canon all the way up to HBP, which already established years of non-attraction between those two. I hope life allows you to continue writing wonderful stories like this one!
ainokea2810 chapter 19 . 10/6/2016
Fantastic!
Guest chapter 7 . 10/2/2016
Your grasp of the concept of time travel and its consequences seems fundamentally flawed. If harry returned to the future a moment after he left (in the future timeline), he would be returning to a greatly altered future. They already time traveled, so all the changes they have and will implement would have already affected the future. I'm also confused on how keeping the journal around would make Dumbledore immediately jump to to idea of time travel. If they're going to let a second war break out and allow all of the people in the future that died die again, what is the point of them even going back in time? Because the only way I'd see Dumbledore allowing a teenager to mess with time is if things were the closest to becoming hell like they were in the original timeline. So what's the motivation here? Also, if the harry in the new future went back with the new Hermione, they wouldn't have the same experiences or talent learned through facing the challenges they did. They'd be completely different people than the original harry and Hermione, Harry more so than Hermione because his upbringing and parents deaths shaped a ton of his personality. So if the new Harry and Hermione went back who is to say they'd do the same things as the original two? They most likely wouldn't. So you'd have a string of paradoxes filled with an ever changing future and eventually the world would end. Harry should really listen to Hermione, she has experience with time turners and actually studied the causes and effects of messing with time. She knows the rules, and those are rules you don't break. Harry using a muggle movie to bolster his argument like it's at all reasonable is just absurd because they're doing something entire different here. Also, it's a movie, not real life. Why would Hermione even entertain his idiocy? I think I'm going to have to give this story a pass, the illogical approach to time travel is just too frustrating and I still dislike your harry quite a bit.
Guest chapter 6 . 10/2/2016
Harry is really kind of a jerk to Hermione in this story. So far, his worries and concerns are more important than hers and he shoots down almost all of her suggestions or makes a big production of disliking them if he has to follow them. He makes her feel ashamed for having her own fears when his are greater and he doesn't seem to appreciate anything she does in actuality, even though he admitted out loud he should appreciate her. She's pretty much given up her life to help him and is facing the possibility of losing her magic if Harry's job plan for anything fails. As far as I've seen he criticizes and mocks her love for knowledge and reading (even if it's not as blatant and cruel as how Ron did, he's still doing it), is annoyed she wants to plan and execute said plans in the safest way possible, and demands to know everything she does right away. I really don't like this harry. He's a self absorbed asshole.
Green-Eyes-and-Bushy-Hair chapter 19 . 10/2/2016
Amazing story. I loved it. And the idea of Harry having siblings is so wonderfully nice. Good job.
mckertis chapter 19 . 9/19/2016
Not terrible, but veeeerrry anti-climactic.
s-david-m chapter 19 . 8/7/2016
You had some good ideas here, but your time travel still has paradoxes. Why would the Harry that grew up in the changed future ask his parents to let him babysit the night Voldemort showed up? Unless his parents specifically told him stories when he was younger, about a couple that moved in next door that babysat that night and then disappeared, he never would have known he was the one who would have to save them that night. It seems they left quite a bit to chance that the universe wouldn't destroy itself in paradox.

The whole bringing Hermione back bit also seemed too contrived. No rhyme or reason to it. And how did the blood protection work if there was no preparation for any kind of actual magic to shield Harry?

And James and Lily being ok that the son they raised has now disappeared forever seems a bit too understanding. Anyone would be a little sad that the person with whom they shared so many memories is effectively gone. This new Harry might as well be his old son that's suffering from amnesia. The reaction of parents in this situation is similar: sadness for lost memories and emotional connections.

The time travel potion also makes Harry's horcrux problem trivial: just travel a century or so into the past and live out his life. He'd then be dead by the time his old self would travel back in time, and Voldemort would then be mortal. Leave detailed plans for his friends to follow, and given the century of time to plan, and the potion's ability to jump forwards to see how those plans work out, rinse and repeat until Voldemort's demise is a foregone conclusion. For instance, take over the construction company that built the Riddle house and lay magically stabilized, time release explosives into the very foundation, and time them to go off soon after old Harry goes into the past. Problem solved, no deaths for the light.

It's not a fairy tale ending, but life rarely turns out that way. The ability to apparate through time makes any problem trivial though.

Still, this was a well-written fic with an interesting idea that I enjoyed, so thanks!
s-david-m chapter 3 . 8/7/2016
You just had Harry and Hermione swear a vow that would require them to to try and save both of the Potters from their deaths at Voldemort's hands, despite not being able to change the timeline.

Also, that vow was too open-ended. Most people wouldn't expect others to give up their lives for others they just met, just because they knew of a plot to kill them.

Other than that glaring plot hole, this seems like a good start with an intriguing premise.
RAnniH chapter 10 . 8/7/2016
jj
Guest chapter 1 . 7/21/2016
10 lines was enough to know this is pure crap, snape mistake, only another abuser can write or think killing an enemy is a mistake.