Reviews for Anti Twilight Association: Why I Hate Twilight
Guest chapter 1 . 6/20/2018
I love these people!
UndoubtedlyTheWine chapter 1 . 7/2/2017
Harry Potter is the best book in this universe. Period. I have read Twilight series but never liked it. It was very slow, dull and stupid. I totally agree with whatever you have written. Cheerio!
Reader chapter 1 . 5/27/2017
I completely agree with you. :D I hate Twilight with burning passion too. It is the most infrutiating book series I have ever read. I think teenage girls deserve better books to read than Twilight. Why are boyfriend problems presented as such a big deal?

But the biggest question is that if Twilight is so obviously bad then why do people like it? Well, there’s a very easy answer to that.

I would like to give you the definition of Mary Sue from Urban Dictionary:

"A sexist term used to enforce the misogynistic ideals that female characters/authors shouldn't be allowed to fantasize or write anything along the lines of wish fulfillment. Its misogynistic qualities are exemplified in many ways, most notably being the fact that it's not a term dominated by the male counterpart despite existing in a patriarchal society, as well as the fact that the male counterpart is largely undecided upon in name and also undefined (see urban dictionary's Gary Stu entry which has no definition but to say "A Male Mary Sue", and the Marty-Stu entry which involves the "Mary Sue" definition to define it).

It's usually used on the whole to bully new authors out of writing female characters altogether, making the task seem so daunting to some that they now only write slash fictions with two male characters, also exemplifying the misogynistic qualities this term involves."

Readers love Bella Swan, because she is "Mary Sue". Contrary to popular belief, Mary Sue stories have a market – so of course writers are going to cater to it. The kind of reader who looks for the sort of wish fulfillment that Twilight provides wants to be the object of affection for a bunch handsome young men. If you think that it is ridiculous, remember that part of the appeal of fiction is that it lets people explore situations and experiences they don't have and don't want to have in real life.

Hunger Games and Divergent are also popular because they are "Mary Sue" stories too, so any arguments of Suedom are now invalid. We need stories like this, because they show us that female wish-fullfillment and female sexuality is not going to be as a big taboo as before. It's a fantasy, boys and men love stupid, shallow Marty Stu characters all the time and no one gives a fuck.

A good number of male characters fit into being “Mary Sue”. They are perfect, everyone loves them, their power is always unexpected and grand and impresses all the friends and foes alike. And these characters are considered AWESOME and “I wanna be that character.” Characters like James Bond, Harry Potter, Superman, Batman, Iron Man, Naruto, Ichigo, Jack Sparrow, Maze Runner, etc. However flip the genders and suddenly “Oh it’s just a Mary Sue character. DISMISSED!”

So "Mary Sue" is not really a problem, but I do think that world needs less Bella Swans and more Zoey Redbirds, Samus Arans, Katniss Everdeens, Sarah Connors, Tris Priors and Hermione Grangers.

And Mary Sue and Marty Stu has ALWAYS exited in fiction. Our societies always have an ideal how a perfect woman and man should be. In the 1800s Mary Sue usually was the picture of innocence, she was passive and not sexual. Today, Mary is a woman with awesome powers who saves the world from evil. Mary Sue has only become a problem in recent decades because in a modern times Sue breaks women out of the nice corner in which lady characters often exist in fiction, (obviously, this does not apply to Bella) and that makes people uncomfortable. Let’s not be those people, okay?

There's a reason why so many books and movies are written about "Mary Sue" and "Gary Stu" — they don't exist in real life. Thats why they are both important characters in fiction, because they tell a lot about us and our society. Being too dismissive of Mary Sues also discourages girls from writing strong, original female characters, and that’s the LAST thing we need in fiction.

Twilight works because it is shameless and unapologetical wish fulfillment. People like Twilight because it fulfils a basic craving that some of us have for cute guys and escapist wish-fulfilment fantasies; and I get that! I like wish-fulfilment as much as the next person.

It appeals to women because it creates the fantasy that a woman can be plain, insecure, boring, dull, wishy-washy, passive, and totally unremarkable, and yet a highly desirable vampire Greek God can still come along and sweep her off her feet. If you think that it is ridiculous, remember that part of the appeal of fiction is that it lets people explore situations and experiences they don't have and don't want to have in real life.

To sum it up Twilight is a fairy tail where perfect human girl and perfect vampire fall in love and life happily ever after. No one is operating under the illusion that it’s a good, original story, or that they shouldn’t probably be reading something else. They read it because it’s there.

This doesnt mean I like Twilight. In fact I think Bella is a horrible role modle for young girls. Im just saying that wish-fulfillment aspect is fine in fictional story. Luckily Twilight is not popular anymore. We now have books like Hunger Games and Divergent for teenagers to read. I think it is a step for a right direction. :) Thank god for Hunger Games, Harry Potter and Divergent because they are all sooooo much better wish-fulfillment stories than Twilight. At least they dont glorify abuse or unhealthy relstionships and Hermione, Katniss and Beatrice are all awesome characters. :D

Thank you for writing this intresting essay. Thank you!
Nora chapter 1 . 3/20/2017
I think that teenage girls deserve better books to read than Twilight. I seriously don't understand why boyfriend problems are presented as such a big deal.

Twilight is not even a love story - It is a story about a abusive relationship. Twilight romanticizes domestic violence. The relationship between Bella and Edward is unhealthy and Edward is an abusive partner. And abuse is not love. Desire to possess someone is not normal. It scares me to think that some people find a relationship like this a perfectly normal.

Actually Mary Sue can be perfectly fine, if she is written well. I mean, her male counterpart Gary Stu is VERY common in popular culture (James Bond, Batman etc) so I think its wrong to despise Mary Sue. Double standards much? I mean women and girls have the right live their own wish-fullfillments fantazies too? But Bella is just horrible Mary Sue, she is just a blank slate. I struggled through all books and I didnt learn anything about her besides the fact that she loves Edward. Every though she has, every action she takes all revolves around the fact that she is in love with Edward. Come on now girl, get a live!

Edward is just terrible Gary Stu. He is supposed to be the perfect guy, but he doesn't have to learn or pay for his mistakes which makes him just boring. And the way he treats Bella is just abusive. Twilight books are extreamely misogynist stories and these books are romanticizing abusive relationships and domestic violence.

Jacob was the only likable character, the voice of reason, but he too changed into Gary Stu in the final book.

And I read Twilight books when I was 12 years old and I still thought that relationship between Bella and Edward is just wrong. Not to mention that they are both very annoying, selfish and unlikable people, so its really hard to feel anything towards them. So teenage girls can too see the problematic elements of Twilight saga.

And personally I do not mind if vampires play baseball or that if they sparkle. It is fiction, people can write mythical creatures however they want. That's the point of being a writer, you can create your own world and your own rules. So vampires and werewolf in Twilight are ok. I am more concerned if the story is trying to suggest that abusive relationships are fine.
TidePoolDevil chapter 1 . 11/11/2015
DOWN WITH TWILIGHT!
*lights torches* *gathers angry mob*
Anyway, Stephanie Meyer seriously got something wrong when she was writing that bullshit.
Way to go for putting it in it's place.
GriffinFlare chapter 1 . 9/27/2014
TWILIGHT HATERS UNITE! :D
Guest chapter 1 . 8/24/2014
It was slightly humorous but you point out all the bad things and never the good. It had to be a good book, it is a good back because she's a famous author. And hacking into another persons account just to rant on something that this person *might* like is very indecent of you and lowers your respect. (Why couldn't you just make your own account?)
Guest chapter 1 . 8/24/2014
All you did was pick all the bad quotes, you never showed all the good ones. And sorry to disappoint you but Stephenie Meyers can "write worth a darn." Thats why she is a critically-acclaimed best-selling author with thousands over thousands reading her book, while you are a tiny association (that barely anyone knows about) trying to rag on a famous book probably because anything you write will sadly never live up to her fame...
Kim chapter 1 . 8/6/2014
Haha I loved this :) SO TRUE
Hermione Is My Role Model chapter 1 . 5/30/2014
OMG
I. LOVE. THIS.
XD you made my day! Thank you!
Guest chapter 1 . 3/30/2014
Fabrics are way better than the books, that's why we write! To improve, make the characters stronger, or in Edward's case, weaker. I mean, why in the world is he so popular? He is annoyingly good at everything, and Bella, being an ordinary human bing can't do anything to stop him if he wants to do something stupid, aka leave. Why did she take him back? Ugh!
TheRavenclawKeeper chapter 1 . 2/24/2014
You just made my day.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/19/2014
yes burn in hell twilight fans!
oh wait, the devil doesn't want them at all
Thatwaslame chapter 1 . 11/9/2013
Trust me, I'm no Twilight fan; half the fanfics are better than the actual book. I see twilight as a wasted opportunity. Now there can be no vampires without someone thinking of Twilight. It ruined a lot of things for me. I used to think vampires where cool, and so where werewolves. I really think that many fanfics give Bella more Character than Stephanie Meyer did. Random people in their every day lives write better than she does, and are much more creative with it, giving more entertaining storylines and plot twists.
nighttheraven chapter 1 . 7/12/2013
:) i liked it. Theres is a thing that wasn't said... The Cullens say that they are trying to fit in, yet they buy luch and sit still, not talking, and don't even eat. Nice job trying to be normal!