Reviews for Proof of Heaven
DojoGhost chapter 2 . 4/23/2009
This is SO. FREAKING. BRILLIANT. Seriously, I don't have words to convey how spectacularly well-written this is. I think it's some of the best stuff you've ever done, and that is saying a LOT :D I positively adore your characterization of Lucy. It's just how I'd imagine she would be, and I should think she'd be very tough to write, as we really don't know much about her except the "beautiful and virtuous" bit. And so many fics portray her as evil and/or shallow, because it's easier that way; but you've got her down to a T. Sweeney is perfect as well - he loves his wife but he's forgotten how to show it. The little details you give about how things have changed in his absence let us know that the ghost of the man he once was still lingers; but that's all it is - his past is just a phantom now. That's portrayed perfectly in the kiss. Effing golden! :D That one gesture, Sweeney trying to show affection in the only way he can anymore, speaks VOLUMES in a beautifully subtle way (and you know me, I'm all about the subtle ;)). The flashback is fantastic. I love that we get to see the relationship between Nellie and Lucy, -and- the development of Lucy's character from a frightened young slip of a thing with no job skills, to someone who can fend for herself. She's got more courage than she's usually given credit for. And I love that Nellie is largely responsible for that - that's got to earn her some cred with Sweeney ;) Oh - and this is my historical snobbery coming out; but the choice of seamstress for Lucy's profession is dead on. There weren't many career opportunities open to women back then; but seamstress was a popular one (and a TOUGH job too, much more demanding physically than it is now). I like how Sweeney can't talk to Lucy about his ordeals in prison - almost as though he doesn't want to burden her with them, or her purity will somehow be tainted by knowing such gruesome things. Oh, and "he still can’t sleep without fearing rats or even men themselves will devour him in his sleep" - nice reference ;) I love this too: "Over the years, he’s thought of millions of things to say to her when the time finally came, but now that it’s here, now that she has her arms wrapped around him, none of those things seem powerful enough. None of them could ever really convey what he’s feeling and every time he opens his mouth, the words turn to ash on his tongue" - Beautiful; it says everything with an economy of words. OH! and THIS: "Watching a beggar totter down the street with her ragged shawl wrapped around her shoulders, he frowns and says, 'It’s Todd now. Sweeney Todd.'" OMG, -how- do you come up with these things? The beggar is what Lucy might have become in other circumstances (can't guess what those might be ;)) - in this case, what she might have been had Eleanor not been there to inspire her to go on for her baby's sake. And the aborted kiss, when Lucy tries just before leaving him but "thinks better of it" - the first crack in their renewed relationship. And I ADORE ADORE ADORE Eleanor's reaction to the name change: "Sweeney Todd. She almost shivers, repressing the urge to repeat it out loud and test if it feels as velvet on her tongue as it sounds. It’s a dark name, poetic almost. A name Eleanor might have read in one of those gothic novels Johanna is so fond of, a dark and brooding man standing on the wild moors beneath the stars. It suits him, this new man with Benjamin Barker’s eyes." Ooh, if she didn't shiver at that, -I- certainly did :D And of course the way she loves it while Lucy doesn't is perfect. You're building the "he's-not-the-man-Lucy-married-but-he's-perfect-for-Eleanor" theme gradually and skillfully. And again, I'm in love with the relationship between Nellie and Johanna. But I do feel so bad for poor Lucy, pining for her husband for so many years and now that he's back, he's lost to her. That's expressed perfectly in the last line, Ben Barker was gone and not ever coming back - exactly what Lucy had said. She was right after all when she'd said that men don't come back from places like Botany Bay. Wow. I bow to the immensity of your genius. Seriously. I can't wait for another update - but by all means take your time. Great things can't be rushed ;)
Sa Satin Amoureux chapter 2 . 4/23/2009
Did you get the chapter title from pokemon? Just wondering.

But this is actually a very good idea for a story.

I can't wait to get to the Sweenett part. XD

Really great job!

KEEP WRITING!
SweeneyToddRocksMySocks chapter 2 . 4/23/2009
This story is AMAZING! I said it once and I'll say it again, Johanna and Mrs Lovett's relationship is just too stinking awesome. I did not like the kiss. Sweeney was not made to kiss Lucy. As we all can see, she's too breakable! Lol.
linalove chapter 2 . 4/23/2009
This is just wonderful!I loved it!I adore how you describe Sweeney. Nellie is just her smart,sweet self in this.I love that woman's strength!

Please update soon!XD
TrixieFirecracker chapter 2 . 4/22/2009
What a wonderful chapter! Personally, I didn't mind the kiss because it shows us how much darker and wilder Benjamin has become and how he suited at all for Lucy anymore.

I loved your phrasing of Mrs. Lovett's reaction to Sweeney Todd's name. I can't wait for Sweeney and Nellie to be alone together.

I have no fears that this will end up a Sweenett and I'm enjoying the ride you're taking us on.
Bloody Pumpkinhead chapter 1 . 4/21/2009
OH GEEZ I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to review! My only excuse is school- and that I helped my sister to write a paper about Willy Wonka xD haha she loves him.

ANYWAY. OMIGOSH. I'm so happy you've started a new story-AND WHAT A STORY IT WILL BE. I'm kind of... shocked. Lucy is there, alive and not insane. Johanna is there, on Fleet street. Sweeney is there in all his gloomy glory. Nellie's there, in love with him. And it's going to be Sweenett. O_O ! ! ! ! ! O_O ! ! ! ! ! OH TIM BURTON'S HOLY STRIPY SOCK! ! ! ! O_O ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! I'm totally awestruck. How can it be Sweenett without Sweeney being a wife-cheating asshole? Because, as much as I dislike Lucy, I'd hate to see him cheating her, even with Nellie... Please update soon, these MAJOR twists are making me extremely curious!

...

And I certainly hope that Sweeney isn't "doing anything" with Lucy upstairs, because that'd break my heart for Nellie and make me feel very sick. I can't help it! The ever-so-dominating imaginary Sweenett cells in my brain are rejecting or killing all Swucy ones... LOL. And this, dear children, is what happens when you try to do your biology homework while typing a review.

I'm not making any sense! 8D Whee-he-he-hee
roberre chapter 1 . 4/20/2009
So, from the get-go, I am in love with this story. And I mean LITERALLY from the get go. The first word had my attention immediately. And the following words only served to capture that attention in an iron grasp. So, there you have it, I am hooked. A loyal follower to the bitter end! Although, I'm hoping that ends of any kind are very far off.

I adore your characterizations of everyone, especially Nellie and Johanna. The way you write their interaction just makes me so happy. Nellie is strong-willed, incorrigible, witty, and spunky, and absolutely perfect. She's so hilarious, and yet you write her with such depth that I'm astonished. I can hardly imagine another Nellie besides yours, let alone one that would be better. And Johanna is fantastically fleshed out, especially for someone we hardly see in the movie. The exchanges between them are hilarious and enlightening, and... yeah. (-lame ending)

I love the never-leaving customers. I've had a few people like that at the pizza place before, and all I wanted to do was swat at them with a towel and yell "SERIOUSLY PEOPLE. LEAVE." xD So her frustration is perfectly justified. In my opinion. haha. I love the fact that they have crazy children, too. xD

And it's great how Lucy has a foul language radar. LOL. It's totally a mom thing, for sure. And it's great that you could add Nellie's irritation with knitting into the story. Because... I don't know. I love it. For whatever reason, it's one of those things that really solidifies her character traits and personality into my mind. If that makes sense at all.

And LOL LOL "“And because you can’t seem to complete knitting anything - whether it be a pair of socks or a scarf.”" Socks. -happy sigh- I can't believe I missed that the first time around. I'm such a laser. Haha.

Nellie threatening the beadle is love, and the whole 'either tax or murder' kind of thing was sheer genius. ALSO sheer genius, is the return of Barker/appearance of Todd, and how Nellie can't even pour booze because she's so fixated on watching. And the line about Todd and Lucy, how they're so different and yet still something beautiful, if not haunting, is amazing. AND... the whole thing. Poor Nellie when Lucy brings Todd upstairs, and 100 LOLs and a -rlofl- to Todd and Lucy's conversation about "the weather". xD Good times, for sure.

And I honest to goodness burst into laughter every time I think of Nellie exploding into hairpins. Seriously. Why can you write something so hilarious in the middle of an emotionally intense scene and still pull it off beautifully? Just wondering.

Anyways, this was spectacular, and I am SO PUMPED about what's to come. I can't wait. -bouncing- 8D

Just wanted to let you know that fanfic cut off my last review about half way, and that there was lots more squeeing and a refresher course/summary of why I love you so much at the end. xD
Lovinett chapter 1 . 4/19/2009
gah! i'm really anxious to see where this goes! i lovett so far! omh. i really like the plot, and i'm not sure about lucy yet. lol. please update soon! :D
SwanofMischief chapter 1 . 4/19/2009
WE! A HIT OF PAMENA! I GOT MY FIX! YAY! This is gonna be awesome, I can tell. ~T.D.D.
linalove chapter 1 . 4/19/2009
This is so good!Please write more!XD
User Not Valid chapter 1 . 4/16/2009
I hope he dosen't get all sweet-natured again. Sweeney is WAY cooler than stupid Benjamin Buttface XD Update soon!
seriouscaseofthegayface chapter 1 . 4/16/2009
Hello! Remember me? Long time, no review, huh? Sorry about that, I did read The Shadow Proves the Sunshine and I absolutely adored it, but I've been so stressed lately I haven't had time to write a big long review :S! Sorry 'bout that. But yes, I really enjoyed TSPTS (is that the abbreviation? I suck at accronyms!), and judging by the first chapter of the story, I know I'm going to love this too!

I knew by reading the summary that this was my kind of fic! One of those 'what if's that keep me up at night, plus it's a Sweenett (right? RIGHT?)

Anyway, I loved this chapter! Nellie was, as always, her wonderful hilarious self. Lucy was a bit...odd, though I suppose she's a bit shaken up about the whole husband-gets-deported-and-then-shows-up-15-years-later-all-different-and-moody thing. I also ADORE the way you characterise Johanna! She's just so innocent and carefree, and I already love her (considerably more than I do in the movie/musical!)

Funny story, I was reading the chapter and I started thinking 'Okay, we get that Sweeney just came back and all, but everyone's crying a bit TOO much!' and then you come out with this line: "if Eleanor has to see one more person cry she thinks she might scream" which was oddly appropriate, seeing as my name is also Eleanor xD!

Well, the review box thingy seems to be malfuntioning, so I'll sign off here. Can't wait for the next chapter!

-Ellie :D

P.S. What's this about Mrs Lovett boots? I'm unbelievably jealous!
eppie chapter 1 . 4/15/2009
Sweenett, huh? Wow...I'm excited to see how that transpires.

Great first chapter. As always, love your characterization of...well, everyone.
xDoubleIndemnity chapter 1 . 4/15/2009
AWW, 'Auntie Nell'! I'm loving the relationship between Johanna and Nellie already. Lucy is her mother but Nellie seems to be the person that Johanna would confide in for things. And i love the whole scene with the passing the gin back and forth and Oblvious!Lucy. “Would you like for me to tell them we’re closing early?” “Course not,” Nellie frowns, turning to her. “That would be rude.” - LOL, i agree with both Nellie and Johanna. Gossiping is rude too but only if the people know it. And i love how Lucy just knows things (mind you, i still hate her) like Nellie's cursing. But i love Nellie's reaction, and Jo's as well. "A knock on the door after sundown is rarely ever a good sign - it either means they’re about to be annoyed by a bothersome tax collector or murdered. " - I LOLed at that. I love the description of the reunion, and this: “What are they talking about, though?” “The weather.” LMAO. I like it when Nellie deadpans, in all of your stories. Sorry for all the quoting, but i just can't pick my favorite! There are too many great lines! Update soon, love!
Ms. Rosemary Mees chapter 1 . 4/15/2009
"Her mind can only focus on one thing, one thought that leaves her light-headed and trembling.

He’s home. He’s home. Benjamin Barker is home at last."

I am intrigued to say the least. I was surprised to find out that you've put up a new story so closely following SPS. I am jealous of your abilities. Anyway, the story is (as always) a wonder.

I can't wait to see where is goes.
430 | « Prev Page 1 .. 18 25 26 27 28 29 Next »