Reviews for Meet the Suzumiyas
SuperSonicHero10 chapter 31 . 8/10/2010
Thank You SO MUCH for Writing this Wonderful Story! I loved how you stuck very close to the source material as possible! I loved how you kept all the recognizable traits that each character is known for. I Enjoyed the idea that it was also traveling story. I enjoyed the Idea that this would more then likely be what Haruhi's parents would be like. I enjoyed how you incorperated real life (James Randi) into the story. I loved how the character development was fully fleshed out into a full fledged character arc! But More Importantly I loved How Haruhi and Kyon FINALLY realized that they were in love with each other! Thank You JonBob for writing this Amazing Story! :)
Dancing Mask chapter 32 . 7/27/2010
Wow... I just read the whole story. Nothing I could say that hasn't been said already, going by your tanker of reviews. If you took the time to read and respond, ironically, that would account for any delays when writing...

Fantastic stuff, very in character, and believable OC's. Criticism... I know I always want something to improve on in a review, but I'd feel like a jerk saying something mean just for the heck of it.

I suppose the monster design and amnesia are over-used in stories, but you wrote it so well, and the monster was from Haruhi's subconscious, so it really shouldn't have been something we'd never seen before. So all's great .
The Layman chapter 32 . 7/17/2010
Backstory is always good. Keep it up! (As in, WRITE MORE ALREADY!)
The Layman chapter 31 . 7/16/2010
*claps* Woohoo! Great job, man! I loved it every step of the way! (Naru rocks!)
theman chapter 14 . 7/14/2010
this is, so far, the best work of fanfiction i have ever read. keep up the good work!
Muffins and Mary Jane chapter 32 . 7/14/2010
Greatest Haruhi fanfic ever. Great work, although I'd rather see some more KyonxHaruhi rather then OrukixNaru.
The Layman chapter 16 . 7/13/2010
Dude, that dream was sooooo creppy, I think I'm still thinking about it. Good job!

Speaking of wich, have you ever thought of contributing to superstarultra's fic, "A Closed, Dead Space"? If that dream is any indicator, you'd do great!
Ryan chapter 21 . 7/11/2010
Damn you and your amazing ability to write fanfic T_T I wish I had your talent...the funniest thing Is as I read this thing I can picture all of it...Please keep up the great work _
Sum9 chapter 31 . 7/10/2010
Spoilers ahead for those not finished.

Some of the best time spent reading fiction I spent reading this. I'm not sure how seriously you take writing outside this hobby we call fan fiction, but you have executed a level of professionalism in this story that the masters demonstrate in their hit releases.

Allow me to dissect. For a contemporary story to be desirable it has to contain certain facets for success: A hook, the first plot point, stakes, dramatic tension, danger, an antagonist (Not always a person, but can change depending on the conflict), character arc, pacing, all wrapped together within a tight story structure and given a soul by the author's voice.

Your hook was a right fist to the temple. Kyon might have to leave and Haruhi's anchor of stability will be gone! Thus we have our first conflict and I'm hooked.

So then Kyon's parents decide to support him in staying and he tries to find a place to live, only to have Haruhi brute force her way into letting him live with her for a month and thus we are introduced to the first plot point. Now Kyon has a goal to achieve, and you provide plenty of obstacles along the way.

Not long after things start to feel comfortable you up the dramatic tension when Haruhi's parents learn of the SOS Brigade, and the conflict almost destroys the world. That was a satisfying confrontation, even though Kyon did nothing but take punches it still worked out and became a victory in another way.

Crisis averted, but another conflict looms, keeping the Brigade together, we are introduced to your brilliant creation of Haruhi's fertile id. That slime beast battle was awesome - hands down.

Which delivered us expertly into the midpoint of the story, where you shift the entire context of the story for Haruhi's parents and involve them in the gentle conspiracy, replete with field trips to see the avatars and conversations where Oruki opens up to Kyon. It's great to see a soul beneath the idiosyncrasies, the imperfections of your creation. Makes him feel human. Naru as well, but in different ways as you already know.

Just damn good. It's like you followed a blue print.

So then you build up anticipation for the club trip to Kyoto, and litter it with as much excitement as a human mind can compile; between the mud wrestling fund raiser, Kyon's detriments, and all the cast getting to shine, I was loving every second of it.

Coming off the afterglow of great entertainment, we are brushed away into the final act of the story in which the foreshadowing that sparked Kyon's character arc regarding his wounded past may makes things complicated for everybody. You send us - the readers - to some interesting places in Kyoto, leading up to the confrontation between James Randi and the SOS brigade. Funny funny stuff.

Everyone is spent, and now the rest of the trip can be used for Haruhi to hatch her love-confession ambush on Kyon, who knew this was coming the entire time, and still lying on pins and needles over leaving and the world ending if he rejected Haruhi (and his unadmitted injury to his heart that he never let heal) becoming a very surreal burden for him to try and figure out.

Just as we think everything is going smoothly however, you side-swipe us with the second (and final) plot point (subtly disguised as a plot twist), and soon Haruhi runs off after learning that Kyon is leaving but kept it secret from her. The final conflict has arrived! And it was the protagonists fault for its severity! This is the best conflict to bring into a story. Everything is riding on the hero now! The stakes can't get higher and you set us up for one of the most moving moments of human frailty from Kyon, which came across as completely believable, and the best climaxes I have ever read in a non-action title.

The moment the conclusion of conflict arrived was cathartic. It was like you lifted a huge burden off my shoulders as I read. I took a deep and satisfied sigh when Kyon let everything holding him back go, forever. Even then however you manage to squeeze in one final conflict.

And I have to say that normally memory loss is a stupid gimmick but holy shit. You manage to narrate in the first person the perspective of memory loss in such a way that I as the reader was screaming at Kyon to remember so I didn't have to feel this way. Regardless what followed was a graceful and satisfying conclusion when everything is made right and everybody is happy with the outcome. I know I was.

And that was just the story structure. I didn't touch author's voice, but I'll make this simple. In the light novels, it is Kyon narrating, and he is sardonic, lazy, and sometimes heroic. He sounded exactly like that in your story, so it was like I was reading the original author's words through you. Not an easy accomplishment. You have talent.

Pacing. God, oh, God. Yeah... so. I'm just going to say that I didn't care that the pace was slow, because the plot was deliberate. The whole story had a soul, and I felt like I was reading something with a goal in mind, so every moment was another milestone toward that end.

In closing, you delivered a memorable read that was frighteningly well written for a fan fiction. Your talent is better spent writing original stories for readers everywhere to enjoy, so please consider that.

Thank you for this delightful story.
The Layman chapter 5 . 7/10/2010
Well, that certainly does explain Haruhi. Wonder what the next day'll be like?
The Layman chapter 3 . 7/9/2010
Well, if you and Haruhi are going to live together, then the only next logical step is to meet the parents...
The Layman chapter 2 . 7/8/2010
*static crackles* Ignition in T-minus ten, nine, eight...
The Layman chapter 1 . 7/8/2010
Sounds like the Anime so far (in the sense that Kyon's narrating everything).

Can't wait to meet Oruki and Naru though, they're HILARIOUS in "You got HaruhiRolled!"...
A Meandering Ghostie chapter 31 . 7/5/2010
well then sir good job, good story
Pinowlgi chapter 32 . 6/25/2010
WHAT!

NO FREAKING FAIR! WHERES THE OTHER PART? DDDDD:

i loved it any way XD but i think i can guess how things play out in the end. lol

great story, helped cheer me up *hug* thanks a ton, and i loved the story XD
1,569 | « Prev Page 1 .. 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 .. Last Next »