Reviews for Braver Than We Are
Emerald Zen chapter 3 . 8/25
I've finally gotten to re-reading Braver (so few LW updates these days sadly) after all these years, and am currently on chapter 4...EGADS, IT IS SOOO GOOD! I remember the main plotline, but I'd forgotten lovely details, the interaction between the characters, and the eerie feeling of dread that permeates the whole fic. And oh I'd especially forgotten the wonderful Jo/Laurie moments throughout (Poor Amy).

One thing that did strike me as a tad bit off upon re-read is that Laurie didn't immediately tell Jo about Amy sleep walking a mile outside in the darkness. Its just so shocking of an event that I felt he would have sought Jo out just to discuss this, instead of talking about the paintings etc first.

Anyways, Elisabeth - not sure you are even checking your FF reviews and you seem to have moved on from LW, but just a note that you still have readers who are huge fans :)
Hi ! It's 2015 and I just found your storie... It is amazing I finished in one go c: thanks
Sapphire Sparkle chapter 31 . 11/27/2013
I read this whole thing! You scared me, but it was so worth it! Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but it don't really mind now, it was such a good story!
Jinxify chapter 31 . 10/16/2013
I read the whole story! :DDD This is one of the most amazing stories I've read. I can only wish for a sequel but this is great overall.
azure orbis chapter 26 . 11/13/2012
Feels like things are coming to a head now and it couldn't be happening sooner-don't think the last humans could take all this strain and tension much longer. Was oddly glad of Grandfather Laurence telling young Laurie to keep his head together and not get all clouded by his feelings again. Don't know why but it was good someone told him to not let his emotions make him do something rash and any time there's an awkward but emotional moment between guys is good stuff.

Amy is the most fascinating thing still. Didn't Bhaer say that only someone who has been drinking and undead a long time could evolve into a thinking creature? Well, Amy's gone from unspeaking to infant vampire to completely sentient over the last couple of chapters and I love the dichotomy between her thinking periods and her almost blacking out when the hunger takes over, like the creature she is is actually two separate things: reminants of human and the bloodlust. And I guess this chapter reveals what Anka's ultimate goal was for the two sisters: Amy as a sort of front, to act as their mother and give the two young girls a cover and Beth, as a companion, a comrade that she desperately wants and is furious at for not being the friend(?) she expected. (Does that mean that Anka was good as a human too? Perhaps she sees herself in Beth and wants her to be like her.) But ultimately, it's Beth she wants. Amy's there just to provide a respectable cover to deflect any suspicions.
azure orbis chapter 24 . 11/12/2012
I find myself more drawn to the baby vampires and their story now than the last remaining survivors of the March family and Concord residents. Also am quite curious as to what exactly caused Beth to wake up finally. Anka's taunting Amy and desire to awake Beth is also intriguing. Why is that so important to her? She seems distainful of much of what Amy says but really wants Beth to be coherent...perhaps she wants a companion or it would delight her to see one that was so good in life fully understand how corrupted she'd become in this new life. And it's kind of a funny parallel to see Jo 's connection to Beth being exploited by Bhaer-quite similar to how Van Helsing questioned Ryder's character of Mina in the ('92) Dracula movie and used her connection to Dracula to find where the vampire had gone.

And the dreaded homonymns keep sticking out: the "whether" of New York being discussed by the March sisters in the chap 22 should be the "weather".
azure orbis chapter 22 . 11/12/2012
Talk about having the worst timing ever. Poor Laurie. Despite knowing Jo so well, he really has a terrible habit of choicing the worst time possible for his confessions. I'm glad he said it and being tired of trying to label what he feels for Jo and perhaps it'll make the blow more easier or not...unsure about that, but I do know is that I appreciated the confession purely for comedic timing. It's a nice beat to show a bit of normal insanity while in the midst of supernatural insanity, if that makes any sense. Anyways, I liked it and the bit about dressing Jo in Amy's nightgown being abhorrent to Lauries. For someone removed from the devestation, it'd be fine but the clothes mean something to him. They're imbued with good memories of his wife and bad ones of her death and giving Jo that particular piece of clothe could mean much more than just lending her something to wear. That makes the whole affair of dressing Jo so much more difficult and I liked that struggle.

And is it weird I like that Professor Bhaer having such a hard time dealing with the three vampires? He was quite decisive and quick-moving on the remaining March's to keep them from rising, which would have been ghastly, and means he's quick on the reaction and dealing with the aftermath of a vampire attack but keeps stumbling over the part about the cause of these deaths, the vampires themselves. Our resident hunter needs to step up from reacting to pre-empting the next attack.
azure orbis chapter 19 . 11/12/2012
Cripes. That was gory. Judging from the pinao, it was the one who was once Cricket of the family that inflicted this carnage? And where has the Professor been all this time?
azure orbis chapter 18 . 11/12/2012
No, Jo, no! And I had forgotten about Sallie Moffat and the very violent thing she did before her death. Yeesh! So, being a danger is a legitimate concern but still, Jo needs to tell people she was bitten, especially the Professor since it's right up his alley. This cannot end well.
azure orbis chapter 17 . 11/11/2012
And now Jo's doomed. Profressor Bhaer better hurry up and find that communal tomb. Fascinating read for Amy's bit-I like thinking of her actions as being those of an infant, no thought just impulses and creepier still for Beth because she's been undead for much longer and still hasn't "awaken" yet if I'm understanding Anka's words correctly. (And yes, we finally have a name for the Child!)
azure orbis chapter 16 . 11/11/2012
Yay! Bhaer is Van Helsing...sort of, well he's a hunter and I'm glad to see him enter the story with a purpose! And as for Amy, it's a bit strange that she should not return to her coffin around the same time Laurie and Jo set off to dig it up. Did she overhear or did someone stop her or something?
azure orbis chapter 12 . 11/11/2012
The horror, the horror! The tension was so high in the last couple of chapters and I was so scared for Jo that I just wanted to cover my eyes and shout for her to get back inside ASAP! Yay for her wit in thinking up the clever flower plan-much more subtle than Laurie's exhuming the body one and which would end the guessing game if Amy were inside and then burst into flames. Doubly creeped out by the two bouquets of flowers waiting for her (did she miss them the first time she went to wake Laurie?). Please don't tell me the child Jo sees at her window is Beth. That is just cruel and Amy's wedding ring couldn't be a clearer sign: she has severed ties with them. And just how many vampires are roaming around Concord by now?

And because I can't stop wincing every time the mixed up homonymns pop up... "chock" up her odd behavior from chapter 9 should be "chalk"; would "undue" them in this chapter should be "undo"; and several "all ready" should be "already."
azure orbis chapter 8 . 11/10/2012
Oh, those last two parts were very creepy! I was wondering when the little one would be back and here she is in full force! So, that's how she get pass the invitation rule and quite a sinister way to go about it-pretending to be a loved one at the door or window. Who'd she impersonate to get Amy to open the window? Poor Laurie for not being able to sleep anymore-suprised he and Jo aren't completely unhinged by now with the lack of sleep, grief and the constant fear poisoning their minds. Perhaps in the next chapter? But oh, Jo must be going mad already is she thinks confronting the unknown spector will end up okay. Bring Van Helsing with you!
azure orbis chapter 7 . 11/10/2012
I'm still in shock and wondering if Amy's dead dead or undead dead and when the little vampire will show up again. Story's beginning to pick up and I'm intrigued as to where the tale will go with so many tantalizing chapters ahead. Problem is that the mixed up homonymns are really jarring. From previous chapters: Jo being a sight for "soar" eyes instead of "sore" eyes; Laurie being touched by Marmee holding his hand and it being more than he could "bare" instead of "bear"; and the latest in this chapter where Laurie's worried about Jo "might of" scripted their meeting instead of "might've." Your writing's great and I'm starting to really get into the story you've crafted but perhaps a little more diligence on read-through's would make a good story even better.
azure orbis chapter 3 . 11/9/2012
And now I'm fascinated and a bit creeped out. The scariness of vampires have been largely wiped out in contemporary media with the focus on the allure of being immortal rather than vampires being predators that prey on humans and this chapter brings it back-in a good way. Also disturbing is that the little girl vampire ("ghost" that Jo spotted previously?) seems to have a criteria for those she takes...weird and very human in way, essentially being picky with her food or is it something else?