Reviews for Arashikage
CrystalOfEllinon chapter 35 . 3/31/2014
Actually, it was a common practice of ninja to pose as priests! Priests (buddhist and/or Shinto) weren't bothered much by officials of the assorted regional lords or Shogun. Posing as priests let ninja go more or less wherever they felt like with minimum interference. It wasn't uncommon for them to have a temple in their compounds or close by, either, to seek blessings and suchlike. So, that idea of yours is spot-on with actual historical practices.
Also, I love the line "You can even bring Scarlett, if that's what's worrying you. After all, she hardly ever stabs me anymore." more than I can really say :)
Asterisk78 chapter 35 . 3/16/2014
So! You've already gotten my thoughts on the headcanon bit, so I'm only going to talk about the previews.

1. I know that Storm Shadow and his aunt are treating the heir thing like srs business - and it is if the jewel is real - but I can't help but think that it kind of feels like a premise for a romantic comedy (Family Jewel: Get ready for an heir-raising adventure!). The script practically writes itself.

2. I'm glad the Red Ninja are showing up. I'll be really interested to see more of your take on them.

3. Aw, bro hug. And now I'm all ready for more and there isn't any more, yet.

Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to this, and I hope it shows up sooner rather than later.
Lady Jaye1 chapter 35 . 3/15/2014
Not signed in, but you know where to find me. I enjoyed the update with bonus bits and explanations of your AU. Several thoughts recently occurred to me on why Jinx may have the name "Arashikage," but be related on Tommy's maternal side: Tommy's mother is from a distantly related side branch family of the Arashikage, while he is from the main line/family, Jinx was adopted into the clan, but isn't related by blood (or perhaps only very distantly if she is from a branch family), or Jinx's father may have been a distant or close Arashikage relative. Sometimes "double" cousins happen, like if two sisters marry two brothers. If a situation like that happened, then perhaps Jinx is a "second cousin" on one side of the family, but a "first cousin" on the other side.
TinySprite chapter 35 . 3/14/2014
Thanks for the guide!
tigerwolfspellbear chapter 35 . 3/14/2014
I'm cracking up at Obake and her "I have not yet devised any way to make new heirs out of thin air." That was great. I'll admit, I've been very curious about the chip thing since you mentioned doing this. I also keep forgetting that the entire ending of 'Arashikage' is AU and therefore, his terms of employment with G.I Joe are too. I don't think I've written anything about it, but I think about it a lot. Billy's relationship with Storm Shadow! I totally thought that was canon (I'm just at the point where Billy gets caught trying to assassinate Cobra Commander in the originals.). I've been looking forward to it though! Kind of disappointing it's not canon. I hope the bunnies for the sequel start gnawing on you now. I want to know if you end up killing Tommy off, now that you've hinted at disembowelment.
tigerwolfspellbear chapter 34 . 11/20/2013
I have to say that I both hate and love you. I hate you because of all the mental anguish you've put poor Storm Shadow through (by extension, that means I also hate the original comic writers from which you got this all from - I'm not sure who they are since I haven't gotten very far in the comics and wikipedia is (not) my friend), but I love you for writing this all out and giving him a somewhat happy ending. And giving me this headcanon for Storm Shadow. You also make me wonder, after Hard Master realizes how miserable Tommy is, if, had he gotten more of a chance, he and the Soft Master would have tried to figure out another means of income or just what they would have done if anything. Did they ever even get the chance to discuss it? I would hope they wouldn't of just let the situation sit. Also, even though the Soft Master ordered the hunt on Tommy, he is actually one of my favorites in this and I wasn't at all sad that Hard Master died beyond what it meant for Tommy.
epitaphed chapter 34 . 4/12/2013
Well, holy shit.

Firstly, I've never read or saw anything about G. I. Joe or Storm Shadow before and it is rather difficult to understand fics without having background info about any if the characters. Storm and Snakes got my attention though and I'm extra extra grateful that I found your fics. Granted, I know this is AU-ish and I don't have the knowledge to compare it to canon, which makes it all the more believable to me.

So first, Tommy: I adore his character cos he is so flawed and just a bunch of heavy complexes. I adored how you managed to expound his character in 34 pages, that you were able to make me sympathize in his plight, to make me feel like I actually got to know the character as the story progressed. It wouldn't mean much to other G. I. Joe fans, I guess, but the fact that you basically intriduced me to Tommy stands.

Snake Eyes: basically I really don't like his character, no offense to you and to the story of course. It's probably cos I'm not too informed about his character all that much. I guess I'm just butt-hurt for Tommy lol. He's made pretty nasty offenses against Storm too and not just yhe other way around, yet he seemed to get iff scot-free. Or maybe I'm really affected that Tommy's always put second best after him lol

Anyway, those are the top two character reviews I've got at the top of my head, and the most important so I'll pretty much leave it at that. I loved Billy however, and that you made it possible to make the Commander as annoying as possible.

I hope this hasn't gotten too long! Pretty much what I wanna say is that: Characterization, top notch. This feels like I mighty good story-telling about an immensely unlucky but interesting ninja. I'm thankful for the journey and excited to read more. Thank you, this was epic.
epitaphed chapter 14 . 4/11/2013
That last flashback made me cry! I'm really starting to hate Snake Eyes lol

Still catching up on this! Amazing as far as this chapter. Well, on to the next
Alana chapter 34 . 4/7/2013
That. Was. AWESOME
Cloud Clavell chapter 16 . 8/3/2011
Hey, you said you didn't mind editing to fix spelling mistakes, so here goes. Mindbender tells StormShadow that nobody armed him while he was asleep. You mean harmed, right? Otherwise, damn fine story.
Lady Jaye1 chapter 34 . 10/9/2010
Great ending to a great story. Unfortunately, Storm Shadow will have trouble fitting in. Even if knowledge of his brainwashing becomes common knowledge among the Joes, the truth is that Tommy originally joined Cobra of his own free will and he still killed people, brainwashed or not.

I'm also positive though that Hawk purposely pulled the guards away so Storm could escape, and then use his help in Antarctica to help push for giving him amnesty and an eventual pardon.

Thanks for writing this story!
Lady Jaye1 chapter 33 . 10/9/2010
You know, I have wonder if Hawk removed the guards partially so Storm could possibly escape and help. If so, he'd have plausible deniability if the higher ups made a fuss. Of course, his reason for removing the guards could be his only reason too. Hard to tell.
Lady Jaye1 chapter 28 . 10/9/2010
Oh man, this chapter was heartbreaking. Tommy regained his senses and found his uncle, only to get captured again.
Lady Jaye1 chapter 25 . 10/9/2010
Nice chapter. I see that you used the mental chess as well. I remember reading them play that in the comics. The continued debates between Storm and Billy about the 'Order' and Cobra were well done, as well was Tommy's refusal to believe that his flashbacks are real memories.

I know you've made Tommy half-Japanese in your story. I don't remember, was it ever said in the comics? I remember you telling me that you based it off of his physical appearance in which sometimes he appeared to have had a Caucasian parent. As for my story, I do like the idea of his father being Japanese and his mother being American. I just haven't decided yet if she was of Japanese descent or not.
TinySprite chapter 34 . 9/28/2010
Wow...awesome story! I wish I read it earlier, but hey, this way I got it all in one shot! Is there a sequel in the works or is it already out?

Oh, and you don't have to send me the bonus material.