Reviews for Fire and Ice
Wolfgal63 chapter 27 . 2/18
I was supposed to be cleaning today when I decided to read a chapter or two of your story. Needless to say hours later the house is not a spec cleaner but there is an intense feeling of satisfaction from reading your story. You did a great job of capturing not only the characters (an impressive feat) but also extrapolating their reactions to the situations at hand in a realistic and impactful way (a feat that many published writers of various fields fail at). Also I love underapprieciated characters, like Obi Wan, getting not only the attention they deserve but attention to the different facets of their personalities that make them human. Overall a fantastic read and I have to hope that my will is strong enough that I can get some cleaning done before I move on to your next story.
Sue Clover chapter 27 . 8/19/2014
I think it's a bit weird that in this version it only took Sidious 5 years to build the Death Star, whereas in the movies it took him twenty years or so to build it. At the same time, I thought it was weird that while it took him twenty or so years to build the first one, it only took a few for him to almost completely build a replacement. After all, he already had the beginnings of the plans for the Death Star at the start of the Clone Wars. I think this version makes more sense, where he made the Death Star earlier, at least in terms of him being capable of building it that soon.
I love the ending. It is entirely plausible, and connects all of the loose ends. It makes me feel happy, as well. Very happy.
Sue Clover chapter 26 . 8/19/2014
A short chapter. But, we are nearing the end. I loved the reunion. It was everything it needed to be, and more. But it's not quite the end yet.
Sue Clover chapter 25 . 8/19/2014
I was a little surprised when Anakin didn't attack Sidious while he was using force lightning on Ventress, since that's what Vader did in ep 6. But then I realized that that would hardly work in this situation. The Emperor would be expecting it this time, and Anakin wouldn't have the element of surprise, so it wouldn't really work. Besides, I absolutely love how you ended the duel - Anakin purposefully putting himself in a compromising position so that Sidious can take his hand and therefore will be off his guard, that was brilliant. BRILLIANT.
Having said that, I must say: IT'S NOT A SHIP. It's the Death Star, and it's a battle station. It does not walk like a ship, or talk like one. I know you know that, but you kind of called it a ship a few too many times for me in this chapter. Battle Station. Not ship.
Still, awesome duel! :)
Sue Clover chapter 24 . 8/19/2014
Okay, well, maybe his hands were bound in front. I was so sure... But oh well. I can't be right all the time.
I think Ventress missed an important point in convincing Obi-Wan to leave - that if he went with her, if he went back to Anakin, and got himself killed, it would do a lot more damage to Anakin's mental state than it would if Ventress were killed. It's a cold truth, but Ventress is all about cold truths, and she knows that Obi-Wan cares about Anakin's mental state.
I have a hard time believing that Yoda would be so cold. I've always thought of him as being full of love, even if he discouraged attachment. And yet, I remember when Anakin went to him for advice and all he said was "train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose." And I remember thinking, how can you even begin to do that? Let go of the people you care about - later, when Padme was telling Anakin not to shut her out and let her help him with what was bothering him, I thought maybe he was distancing himself from her in an attempt to follow Yoda's advice, and it didn't really help, did it? But while he wasn't right in his advice, he really does care a ton about all sentient beings, and about all Jedi. He cared about Anakin even as he told Obi-Wan to go kill him. He knew that being in the dark side was really worse than death, and Anakin would be better off dead than as a Sith. That's my opinion, anyway.
Again, the children were there when they mentioned what Anakin did, and how people won't forgive him. For ages, they've been on a base surrounded by people who distrust and even hate their father, and possibly have shunned them a little because of it. I think that their curiosity on that count is not going to be able to be put off for much longer; Obi-Wan may have to tell them even before Anakin returns. I'm not sure which one would be worse, Anakin being there and having to tell them, or Obi-Wan having to tell Anakin's secrets and then Anakin coming home to them knowing and seeing him differently. I guess I'll just see what you do.
Sue Clover chapter 23 . 8/19/2014
Only thing about this scene that bothers me is that the entire time, Obi-Wan's hands were bound *behind* his back. One can't exactly put one's head in one's hands when that's true. Nor can one be "on hands and knees." It's okay, though. Imagining how much more difficult it would have made it for Obi-Wan to get up with his hands bound made it all the more heroic when he did.
I did love how they kept each other sane, just now. Sidious used their connection against them, but even then they didn't lose because they held to each other. Mostly, Obi-Wan helped Anakin stay sane, rather than the other way around.
Earlier, when Obi-Wan was telling Bail to take off, he said to "get away from this planet" or something. It's not a planet, it's the Death Star. Just saying.
Sue Clover chapter 22 . 8/19/2014
I think that, for me, the very fact that Anakin is comforted by Obi-Wan's promise to kill him should he turn again is proof that he won't. He knows that it's a fate worse than death, and he won't ultimately do it. He has too much to live for now. And this whole scene just makes me so happy, even though it takes place in less than happy circumstances.
When they put the force-dampening cuffs on him, I thought they were fastening his hands behind his back? Did they unfasten them later and leave the actual cuffs on, or were they never that kind of cuffs in the first place? It was kind of unclear.
Sue Clover chapter 18 . 8/19/2014
So I guess when Anakin was angry at Yoda about Ventress he didn't realize that it must be just as hard for Yoda to trust him? Yoda may not have seen Obi-Wan after Rattatak, but he did see the temple after Anakin destroyed it. That's kind of a lot worse. Anakin may have repressed those memories, but that doesn't mean that there aren't still consequences for them. He knows that, but when it comes to Ventress I guess it slips his mind.
Telling the kids stories is fun, and while it's fraught with emotional landmines for them, I like it. I like how confused the kids get sometimes, and remember that I'm still confused about the order of events in my parents' lives, even though I've had years to memorize the stories.
Sue Clover chapter 15 . 8/18/2014
Treachery is the way of the Sith. I'm surprised Ventress didn't know that. Surprised, and yet pleased, because it makes it possible for this to happen. While I'm sad that Owen and Beru didn't make an appearance, I'm interested to see how the kids respond to moving to a new place, away from everything they've ever known, and for possibly unknown reasons, and how they'll respond to the tension in the air between their father, Obi-Wan, and Ventress.
Sue Clover chapter 14 . 8/18/2014
I wonder if Owen and Beru will come in to the story soon. They are on the same planet, after all, and they are his family. His step-family, anyhow, but Anakin's not one to have a narrow definition. Obi-Wan is his family. The jedi were his family, though they're gone now. I just kind of want them to have a part in the kids' lives, since in the movies they never had any kids other than Luke, so I'm not sure they were able to, and I don't want to deprive them of at least knowing him.
Sue Clover chapter 13 . 8/18/2014
So, what are they going to do for a living? Are they going to become moisture farmers? I know Anakin must have had a ton of money in the apartment that they took with them, since being Sidious's apprentice meant he was super privileged and he was married to a Senator after all, but as we all know, Republic credits (or Empire ones, whichever) don't always mean much on Tatooine. I get the whole living in seclusion thing without a job for Obi-Wan in the original trilogy, when he was alone and had only his own meager needs to care for. But with two of them and two babies, that's really not going to happen so easily. They need to get a job, or at least one of them does.
Sue Clover chapter 12 . 8/18/2014
Well, I guess Sidious can wait. This is way better, Anakin turning back to the light. I'm glad that he still has the babies, and Obi-Wan, that he still has something to fight for. And now he knows the proper way to do that - not with darkness, but with light, with love. I am so glad that Obi-Wan finally told him he loved him, which he should have done years ago, and that it helped him root himself more firmly in the light.
Sue Clover chapter 11 . 8/18/2014
Well, I rather think Anakin will kill Sidious, now. Very soon. He won't know what hit him.
Sue Clover chapter 8 . 8/18/2014
That was scary. Obi-Wan's flashback, I mean. It's not normal, and that something that's not even there could make Obi-Wan scream... It hardly bears thinking about. But it made Anakin pause. It let the concern in him rise above the anger. I wonder what Bail thought of that little scene. Obviously he was pretty exhausted already, almost too much to care, but I know he was paying attention anyway. It was a good effect, how you didn't actually know who was in the cell until Anakin said it, even though you have your suspicions. It adds to the shock value. And for once, I didn't fall prey to my annoying habit of accidentally skipping over stuff to get to the dialogue. I don't know why my eyes do that, but it's annoying. But they didn't do it this time. Anyway, I want to know what happens next, so I'll keep reading.
Sue Clover chapter 7 . 8/18/2014
Wow. Well, I guess we all knew that as Vader, if Padme didn't die he'd turn into an abusive husband. I love how even without the force, Obi-Wan still does a good job of fighting him. And yet it's not enough. You know, Anakin could have just deprived him of air until he passed out but wasn't dead. But this is more interesting. I shudder to think what Anakin has in mind next, but can't wait at the same time.