Reviews for The Call of Chiron
ChocolateTeapot chapter 3 . 9/10/2013
This is a great story! I've been meaning to review for a while, but somehow never found the time. I know this is old, but it's a good story and there are far too few Alpha Centauri fanfics.

Alexandria's perspective is very interesting. You do a good job at giving her a childlike mentality, without her coming across as annoyingly naïve. Her first impressions of the new planet were particularly good. I also liked what she thought of Zakharov and that she felt it was unfair that he got priority treatment.

I agree with Morbo's review about some technical details being off, and I'm pretty certain that they always were hoping to go to Chiron, but it's not serious.

Zakharov's perspective is an interesting contrast to Alex's, as he has a much higher level view of the situation. I really like the description of Zakharov's reluctance to leave the Unity. I also liked his discussion with the pilot regarding the moon.

His recordings were very good too, particularly the passages regarding practicalities and the fact that he is strangely pleased that it presumably was sabotage. The idea that there could be any scientific knowledge, no matter how terrible, that would perhaps be beneficial to be lost felt a little strange, coming from him.

I also like Zakharov's worries and longing for Fedorov's guidance. It helps humanise him.

Scott seems like an interesting character too.

The conversation between Alex and her mother at the end was very good, as was the final paragraph.
Ultimagu chapter 3 . 7/3/2011
You have a really interesting idea here that I feel should be explored further. -.- I also see that you haven't updated since December of 2009. Typical of , no?
Morbo chapter 3 . 12/19/2010
Not surprised to see you went with the Uni faction for a SMAC story, they are the most interesting by far after all! But it's off to a good start, it kind of reminds me of the Earth 2 TV series a bit..a fairly small group of people on a hostile alien planet with only limited resources at hand. And a child as main protagonist instead of Zakharov himself could be good too, seeing her grow up during those challenging early days, trying to cope with whatever life and Planet throws at her.

There seem to be a few errors, but they're only technicalities really, of not that much importance to the story. Like Chiron is supposed to be the second planet of only 2 planets around Alpha Centauri A, its days last 18 hours, and due to the combination of the higher atmospheric pressure and nitrogen levels no human can stay out in the open long without breath masks.

Anyway, hope you continue this some day. I find good sci-fi stories usually much harder to come by than fantasy, and this story shows promise. Would like to see how the other factions factor in, how first contact with mind worms turns out as those creep me out like few other fictional lifeforms can, and maybe see the Uni faction engage in some unethical research to give things a darker touch.
Nikki Hatake chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
Amazing! Can't Wait!
Number Six-Sixtysix chapter 3 . 12/17/2009
Wow, you have captured the very essence of a disaster situation with military units involved. If I am honest, the only thing I can fault you for is the use of the term marines. But then, I just don't like marines in general, and the term does appear in the game (I haven't read the books), so you may be right. And, thinking about, they are military personnel onboard a ship, of sorts. Which fulfils the defintion of marines, and actually makes them space marines/ colonial marines (hell, call 'em starship troopers while we're at it). So, yeah, good jonb and update soon.
Aoirann chapter 3 . 12/17/2009
A nice chapter as always. You know how they say that since they are not picking up any transmission from earth that they think it's dead? Turns out after a years all Radio an Television signals fade into static then get overwhelmed by the universes background radiation. So in the Alpha Centauri Universe there is a chance that Earth is still alive.
Broken Kilter Express chapter 1 . 11/30/2009
This is quite fine, and you're pretty good. I would note there is another archive out there. Maybe someone should request the two be merged under this one's name.
bdun chapter 2 . 5/5/2009
all right! wonder how the other factions are doing...
Number Six-Sixtysix chapter 2 . 5/2/2009
Brilliant! And you chose the University faction as the main focus of your story! This just keeps getting better!Keep up the good work!
timmy41 chapter 1 . 5/1/2009
This is great! This inspired me to create an account just to tell you I cant wait for the next segment!

AC is one of the first games I remember playing (im only 18, so I was pretty young when I played these) and ill never forget how much fun they were. the story goes along with the game storylien too! which is great!

Keep up the great work!
Number Six-Sixtysix chapter 1 . 5/1/2009
Love it! Please continue.
bdun chapter 1 . 4/29/2009
nice! so, were going to, ah, she lives (obviously) and then what? she grows up, watches whatever faction you placed her in develop, and then... enlists?