Reviews for Martyr
Kayleem127 chapter 28 . 3/16
Ugh, I LOVED this! By far, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this Erik! He made laugh countless times and his I-really-couldn't-care-less attitude endeared me to him even more, for some reason. And I enjoyed this Christine too! Somehow, these two just jived. It was strangely yet wonderfully cohesive.
This one was so refreshingly different from all the other phanfics out there and I heartily thank you for that!
In other words, great story!
kvasconez chapter 28 . 3/10
While well written with an interesting plot, I actually despised Erik and as much as the story tried to convince you that he loved her, I didn't get that feeling...also, Christine was so angst and self-centered. She never found out and felt badly about how Mrs. Girl was trying to contact her because she needed an ear and help. In the end, she did turn out to be just a commodity to Erik...being his voice, but nothing else. While the story desturbed me, it worked...anyone who can write characters so OOC is very good.
Farrier chapter 28 . 3/6
Thank you for writing such a thoughtful, touching and candid story. I have read it many times. There is a great heaviness in living through the realities of caring for someone in Raoul's condition. No one is painted as an unrealistic, perfect hero or heroine (or martyr), and I think it results in a much deeper connection between the readers and characters. It is always possible to argue about how realistic these settings are, especially when it comes to someone who is supposed to be as musically gifted as Christine - for example, it just doesn't happen that someone is so great that it is screamingly obvious to everyone listening, the music industry is about so many other things than pure talent or skill. Or that there would be someone as physically and mentally capable as Erik, in spite of his disfigurement and start in life, that he seems invincible and beyond all others. But this is fiction, and we have been given the characters by another author, and so incorporating them into the modern world in a way that is not immediately and obviously false, idolised or corny takes a lot of skill, which I think you have. It is a real pleasure and surprise to find these sorts of stories on fanfiction. I have enjoyed every reading of Martyr, and I'm grateful to have had the opportunity.
AnnaKatarin chapter 28 . 2/21
Really great story. I loved the way you turned it upside down with Erik and Raule. Thank you for excellent story!
spyrals chapter 28 . 9/16/2016
Awesome story! I didn't want to stop reading, it was so moving. The best modern AU POTO fic I've read - thank you for writing!
bluebirdlady chapter 28 . 4/3/2016
I have read the last chapter and the epilogues three times now. I was too emotional to write a comment the first two times. The pain is almost unbearable; on the other hand, the joy is too delicious. I felt so sorry for Raoul. I wouldn't know how to finish the story if I were you. How did Erik's needle save the day I just don't know. But it's so ERIK! It has his stamp on it. Everything in this story is so Erik, so in character, that after reading one ends up wondering if it had been a true story, which is pretty amazing, and which leaves me no doubt to faithfully read all of your stories. Thanks again for this gift! I will PM you re the old version.
bluebirdlady chapter 24 . 4/1/2016
This is getting more painful and harder to read. I hope it hasn't been too painful for you to write, especially as you said the re-write has been influenced by certain changes in your life.

Christine has never been easy to hate. I never hated anyone's Christine, because she loves him so so much, and not always know it. But I hate her now, for letting Erik bear her cross. Yes I know Raoul's condition in this story makes it harder for her to leave him, but still...and to use Erik's 'imorality' as an excuse is unforgivable.

I haven't commented about Raoul at all so far, because Erik has had all of my attention most of the time. Your Raoul isn't as believable as the rest. He can't just turn from an atheletic, strong man into a complete passive invalid, both mentally and physically. This is the only doubt in the whole book that keeps gnawing at me.

Last but not least, for Christine to leave Raoul in that state is...just too darn cruel. 15 years, and all the affection and love which is still continuing...No I can't even imagine. Some things just can't forsake. This is why I think I prefer Threnodies to this story. It is the only reason. I just can't imagine it and it pains me to even read.
bluebirdlady chapter 23 . 4/1/2016
Thank you for this chapter. I could go to the end of the world with your Erik.
bluebirdlady chapter 22 . 4/1/2016
I think I'm too slow with this kind of things, but I just realised that the title of this book doesn't only refer to Christine. But all three of them. And Erik being the biggest one. Bet he will hang me for saying it.
bluebirdlady chapter 21 . 4/1/2016
I like your M. Giry as much as other characters. Her integration into this modern version is seamless. Her original characteristics are still there, with added new traits that make her more believable in this context.
bluebirdlady chapter 20 . 3/30/2016
This chapter is so poignantly beautiful! Just like the one in Threnodies and Roses when she thought he shot himself and came running back to him. Your writing really touches souls. Your Erik is still the one to sacrifice himself to free Christine, just like Leroux's. That is so crucial to his true beauty. Very few writers got this part right; most just leave it out for convenience. It must have been hard to write yet this chapter flows so well, I forgot to breathe.
bluebirdlady chapter 19 . 3/30/2016
The fatal weakness of his project is his own shallowness. I understand now. He couldn't believe that someone would see past his disfigurement for his real brilliance and fall in love with him. His face has been his shield. Now his shield begins to crack open, and he is out of control.
Guest chapter 18 . 3/29/2016
This is heartbreaking. The way he ran away...
Guest chapter 16 . 3/29/2016
I love the pace of everything. I like how their feelings develop. It's so realistic and as I read I live the story too. This is a beautiful feeling.
Guest chapter 13 . 3/29/2016
I laughed so many times reading this and the last chapter. Erik's sarcasm is delicious. I love this Erik! Id love to get into his head and hear his conversation with himself all day long!