Reviews for Martyr
spyrals chapter 28 . 9/16
Awesome story! I didn't want to stop reading, it was so moving. The best modern AU POTO fic I've read - thank you for writing!
bluebirdlady chapter 28 . 4/3
I have read the last chapter and the epilogues three times now. I was too emotional to write a comment the first two times. The pain is almost unbearable; on the other hand, the joy is too delicious. I felt so sorry for Raoul. I wouldn't know how to finish the story if I were you. How did Erik's needle save the day I just don't know. But it's so ERIK! It has his stamp on it. Everything in this story is so Erik, so in character, that after reading one ends up wondering if it had been a true story, which is pretty amazing, and which leaves me no doubt to faithfully read all of your stories. Thanks again for this gift! I will PM you re the old version.
bluebirdlady chapter 24 . 4/1
This is getting more painful and harder to read. I hope it hasn't been too painful for you to write, especially as you said the re-write has been influenced by certain changes in your life.

Christine has never been easy to hate. I never hated anyone's Christine, because she loves him so so much, and not always know it. But I hate her now, for letting Erik bear her cross. Yes I know Raoul's condition in this story makes it harder for her to leave him, but still...and to use Erik's 'imorality' as an excuse is unforgivable.

I haven't commented about Raoul at all so far, because Erik has had all of my attention most of the time. Your Raoul isn't as believable as the rest. He can't just turn from an atheletic, strong man into a complete passive invalid, both mentally and physically. This is the only doubt in the whole book that keeps gnawing at me.

Last but not least, for Christine to leave Raoul in that state is...just too darn cruel. 15 years, and all the affection and love which is still continuing...No I can't even imagine. Some things just can't forsake. This is why I think I prefer Threnodies to this story. It is the only reason. I just can't imagine it and it pains me to even read.
bluebirdlady chapter 23 . 4/1
Thank you for this chapter. I could go to the end of the world with your Erik.
bluebirdlady chapter 22 . 4/1
I think I'm too slow with this kind of things, but I just realised that the title of this book doesn't only refer to Christine. But all three of them. And Erik being the biggest one. Bet he will hang me for saying it.
bluebirdlady chapter 21 . 4/1
I like your M. Giry as much as other characters. Her integration into this modern version is seamless. Her original characteristics are still there, with added new traits that make her more believable in this context.
bluebirdlady chapter 20 . 3/30
This chapter is so poignantly beautiful! Just like the one in Threnodies and Roses when she thought he shot himself and came running back to him. Your writing really touches souls. Your Erik is still the one to sacrifice himself to free Christine, just like Leroux's. That is so crucial to his true beauty. Very few writers got this part right; most just leave it out for convenience. It must have been hard to write yet this chapter flows so well, I forgot to breathe.
bluebirdlady chapter 19 . 3/30
The fatal weakness of his project is his own shallowness. I understand now. He couldn't believe that someone would see past his disfigurement for his real brilliance and fall in love with him. His face has been his shield. Now his shield begins to crack open, and he is out of control.
This is heartbreaking. The way he ran away...
I love the pace of everything. I like how their feelings develop. It's so realistic and as I read I live the story too. This is a beautiful feeling.
I laughed so many times reading this and the last chapter. Erik's sarcasm is delicious. I love this Erik! Id love to get into his head and hear his conversation with himself all day long!
The bird scene was ... beautiful!
Well, his autistic tendency is adorable! And I like the power of your Erik. I have loved others Gerard-Eriks, yours is the only one who can seduce me with pure power from his presence. But I'm still sulking on behalf of Nadir.
I have to say this: I love your Erik and everyone else apart from Nadir. I love almost everyone else's Nadir, because they let him have some credit instead of be the stupid one to make Erik even more marvellous. There's a reason he and Eik are the keeper of each other's conscience. Do you really think Erik would let a stupid, incompetent men who knows everything about him live?! Your stupid Nadirs really ruined the fun for me. Sorry but it needs pointing out.
Their first encounter... I'm breathless!