Reviews for The Arena
EmPro8 chapter 6 . 9/20/2017
To me, this characterization seems more like Leo than Don. Donnie's mind is active and clear, and he'd have a lot more trouble disassociating than Leo. He wouldn't simply be able to 'choose' to forget his brothers or name, not for a few years at least (if ever). Leo, however, has a strong honors system. His life centers around duty, family, and honor. To have that all taken away from him would be damaging and shameful. I can see Leo cutting away all old ties to protect both himself and his family. How could he face them again when he went against everything Splinter taught him? He'd be absolutely ashamed and likely go into a dissociative stated. Not that Don wouldn't do this also, but it would take a longer time.

Like, idk. I don't watch the show or anything, but that's just my thoughts. I'm just thinking out lots. I only know the characters from fanfiction and Wiki. I could be wrong. Other than that though, good story. It's interesting and I like the system you have set up for the aliens. Good characterization for the aliens too. This fic is pretty good.
BlingThing chapter 21 . 2/18/2016
That was a great story - I just stayed up all night reading it (oops - it is now 5.57am)... haha lucky I'm on holiday! I was a bit worried for a while that Donnie was going to die in the arena - he took so long to get rescued - but I wouldn't have it any other way - it's good when you read a story where you start to have doubts about the successful survival of the main character! Now I better see if you do have a sequel.
Snowhite197 chapter 21 . 2/3/2016
This was beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
theLadyCheshire chapter 21 . 7/23/2015
Oh wow. Poor Donnie! Beautifully tragic.
SleepingSeeker chapter 14 . 2/27/2014
Exactly - amoral Utroms. Perfection, again. Love it.
SleepingSeeker chapter 13 . 2/27/2014
'Kaleidoscopic colors flashed behind his eyes.' Oh man, that pain - that was described so perfectly.
SleepingSeeker chapter 12 . 2/27/2014
Okay, here's what I love about this - too many writers just go on and on about making Splinter this all knowing all perfect all balanced character, when he really deserves more layers. He deserves to make mistakes and to have doubts, he deserves to be a nuanced and interesting as all the other characters. Too often we get a rather bland characterization of Splinter, because where is the interest when we already know this guy can do no wrong? How much more interesting for him to make a mistake, to do harm due to over-confidence in his cunning, in his own limited wisdom - how terrible could that be when everyone around him expect infallibility? In my stories, I often have Splinter harsher than what is typically seen, much more like the Mirage Splinter. I make him more master than father, as in those early comics. And I even dare to make him fallible. He makes mistakes, costly ones, he shelters himself in pride and sometimes even a touch of arrogance. Yeah, I catch some heat for it, sure, but damn, I think I make him far more interesting when he's screwing up.
SleepingSeeker chapter 11 . 2/27/2014
excellent, vivid descriptions of the terrible pain Donatello was being put through. Well done!
SleepingSeeker chapter 10 . 2/27/2014
This might be my favorite chapter yet. I love the 'child's pose' that they go into when overwhelmed either by depression or sickness. That is so endearing to me, and so very accurate. To unconsciously want to withdraw and hide under their shells, a lingering call back to their primordial selves. Oh, I love this. xo
SleepingSeeker chapter 7 . 2/27/2014
The hard part is realizing that no one would value the things left behind as the original owner would. They remain left behind, a stark reminder of the one who used to cherish and love them. Like the discarded bones of a precious pet, once adored, now forgotten.
SleepingSeeker chapter 6 . 2/27/2014
Oh man, Don could not save Trell from his fate - not that the b*stard deserved mercy. But you can't really blame the Triceratons for living the vile way they do. They know not that their lives are barbaric. It is only their way.
SleepingSeeker chapter 4 . 2/27/2014
Wow, I'm just hooked on this and can't stop reading. This is how a story of this theme should be presented. We get some of the emotional fall out now - along with plenty of action! Well done!
SleepingSeeker chapter 2 . 2/27/2014
This is so very well rendered, as I'm sure you've been told before. Ah, you've really captured their spirits and their essence from the Mirage comics beautifully. As an avid fan from the very beginning, I greatly appreciate this! Amazing detail, excellence in executing their dialogue and interactions. Love it. All of it.
SleepingSeeker chapter 1 . 2/27/2014
aeeeiiii - this is sooooo good! I'm so happy I found this story - Nodelinquent from Tumblr has it on her fic req's page! I can't wait to read on!
Juanita27 chapter 20 . 8/21/2013
Abilene - alive. hepprned - happened. Heh. Anywho, got back on bc forgot in last post to mention- the creation of Don's alternate persona of Kes to survive the arena, and the dream of the bloody sea that wove throughout the story, were brilliant.