Reviews for The Arena
BlingThing chapter 21 . 2/18
That was a great story - I just stayed up all night reading it (oops - it is now 5.57am)... haha lucky I'm on holiday! I was a bit worried for a while that Donnie was going to die in the arena - he took so long to get rescued - but I wouldn't have it any other way - it's good when you read a story where you start to have doubts about the successful survival of the main character! Now I better see if you do have a sequel.
Snowhite197 chapter 21 . 2/3
This was beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
theLadyCheshire chapter 21 . 7/23/2015
Oh wow. Poor Donnie! Beautifully tragic.
SleepingSeeker chapter 14 . 2/27/2014
Exactly - amoral Utroms. Perfection, again. Love it.
SleepingSeeker chapter 13 . 2/27/2014
'Kaleidoscopic colors flashed behind his eyes.' Oh man, that pain - that was described so perfectly.
SleepingSeeker chapter 12 . 2/27/2014
Okay, here's what I love about this - too many writers just go on and on about making Splinter this all knowing all perfect all balanced character, when he really deserves more layers. He deserves to make mistakes and to have doubts, he deserves to be a nuanced and interesting as all the other characters. Too often we get a rather bland characterization of Splinter, because where is the interest when we already know this guy can do no wrong? How much more interesting for him to make a mistake, to do harm due to over-confidence in his cunning, in his own limited wisdom - how terrible could that be when everyone around him expect infallibility? In my stories, I often have Splinter harsher than what is typically seen, much more like the Mirage Splinter. I make him more master than father, as in those early comics. And I even dare to make him fallible. He makes mistakes, costly ones, he shelters himself in pride and sometimes even a touch of arrogance. Yeah, I catch some heat for it, sure, but damn, I think I make him far more interesting when he's screwing up.
SleepingSeeker chapter 11 . 2/27/2014
excellent, vivid descriptions of the terrible pain Donatello was being put through. Well done!
SleepingSeeker chapter 10 . 2/27/2014
This might be my favorite chapter yet. I love the 'child's pose' that they go into when overwhelmed either by depression or sickness. That is so endearing to me, and so very accurate. To unconsciously want to withdraw and hide under their shells, a lingering call back to their primordial selves. Oh, I love this. xo
SleepingSeeker chapter 7 . 2/27/2014
The hard part is realizing that no one would value the things left behind as the original owner would. They remain left behind, a stark reminder of the one who used to cherish and love them. Like the discarded bones of a precious pet, once adored, now forgotten.
SleepingSeeker chapter 6 . 2/27/2014
Oh man, Don could not save Trell from his fate - not that the b*stard deserved mercy. But you can't really blame the Triceratons for living the vile way they do. They know not that their lives are barbaric. It is only their way.
SleepingSeeker chapter 4 . 2/27/2014
Wow, I'm just hooked on this and can't stop reading. This is how a story of this theme should be presented. We get some of the emotional fall out now - along with plenty of action! Well done!
SleepingSeeker chapter 2 . 2/27/2014
This is so very well rendered, as I'm sure you've been told before. Ah, you've really captured their spirits and their essence from the Mirage comics beautifully. As an avid fan from the very beginning, I greatly appreciate this! Amazing detail, excellence in executing their dialogue and interactions. Love it. All of it.
SleepingSeeker chapter 1 . 2/27/2014
aeeeiiii - this is sooooo good! I'm so happy I found this story - Nodelinquent from Tumblr has it on her fic req's page! I can't wait to read on!
Juanita27 chapter 20 . 8/21/2013
Abilene - alive. hepprned - happened. Heh. Anywho, got back on bc forgot in last post to mention- the creation of Don's alternate persona of Kes to survive the arena, and the dream of the bloody sea that wove throughout the story, were brilliant.
Juanita27 chapter 21 . 8/20/2013
That story was phenomenal! The plot and plot development, characters, scenes, even every sentence was written perfectly. The themes that made the reader step back and compare what was going on in the story to historical and current events even. And the emotion! At times this was just so heartbreaking and frustrating (packing up Don's room when he was still Abilene, don thinking they would never know the truth of what hepprned to him, etc). You are a gifted writer! Thank you for sharing this story. I wish the triceratons that took don had gotten some punishment, even though I know that is not avalaible within the construcs of this story. A line in the ├ępilogue did make me wonder...Mikey passed Don on his way to the river that fateful day, so if the triceratons had showed up a bit earlier they might have nabbed a different turtle- what made you chose Don out of the four to be the one to be taken? Just curious is all. I actually don't think the story would have worked if it had been any of the other three. Great writing and thanks again!