Reviews for If Love Could Light a Candle
Lacy Stewart chapter 1 . 5/1/2009
Wow! This is a great first chapter, very promising. I am looking forward to reading more...
headre7 chapter 1 . 5/1/2009
This looks really good. I really love nymph & incivility so I know this will be good. Can't wait for them to meet!
t'estimare chapter 1 . 5/1/2009
Well I haven't started this yet but the link is on my to read list notepad document with an aside that states: "by Pastichey. so its gotta be good." Thought you ought to know, haha. I will be reading this soon, because you astounded me with Sin and Incivility. I will have to read that again, after I read If Love Could Light a Candle. I think that'll be thrice now.
iamgreyish chapter 1 . 5/1/2009
I think this has been one of the best (if not the best) characterization I've ever read.

I love especially Jasper's twang. It's just odd that it is always mentioned that he's got a Southern accent but not really divulged in it. And Alice isn't neurotic like most fanfics turn her to be and thank you for not surrounding her with pink. I mean, fashionable and girly doesn't have to be pink, right? Also, want to note your explanation about Bella's blocked thoughts. The only way for her to have that is through Charlie. She's more like a Charlie anyway.

Finally, you did great with the Edward's testing his control. It's more logical for him to do that to prevent eating Bella. Thinking about it now, is it really possible for him to reign his bloodlust in Biology in Twilight book? She's his singer after all, he wouldn't be able to stop especially since he had a taste of human blood no matter how decades ago passed. It's like craving with your favorite food that you can't really have all the time because it's freaking rare and expensive. For a human, I don't I can stop myself. Heck, I can't even stop myself in dipping my finger on a cake's icing. What more with a vampire's bloodlust and there's just 2 options for them.

Thank you for giving us a side of Edward's vigilante days. It's kind of refreshing knowing that he isn't really that perfect.
b3j02 chapter 1 . 5/1/2009
I think I am going to like this story. Are you going to go back and forth in Edwards life? So instead of meeting in high school Edward is going to be her therapist? Excellent! I am looking forward to seeing how this all progresses!
ahizelm chapter 1 . 5/1/2009
Well, Pastiche, I have seen you on the Twilighted boards and always meant to read something of yours, but just got around to it this morning.

And ...

I am 100% intrigued. While I definitely snorted a little over Jasper's very Southern manner of speech, I am intrigued at your take on Edward's ability, the way the Swans' minds work and the draw that Bella has for him. I also happen to like that Alice isn't spastic and neurotic, the way most people characterize her.

Thanks for posting this ... definitely waiting patiently for an update.
M4troth chapter 1 . 5/1/2009
This is a great idea for a story and I really liked the first chapter please update soon

M4troth
dazzledtina chapter 1 . 5/1/2009
very good
Wendyloohoo chapter 1 . 5/1/2009
Wow! I'm so glad I saw your banner in one of the forums and clicked it. What a great first chapter. There are many things I really like about this -

1. I like how you've started with a flashback to Edward's dark time. So many great and scary things about him seeking vengenance. I loved this line in particular

"But then again, vampires saw through the shadows—death was their daylight."

's reluctance at first to be help by being a therapist. I loved the Cheney residence goings on. I also loved him listening to the Swan household.

3. Edward's interaction with his family is great - especially his brother's. Jasper is hilarious. It's so great that you've researched the slang of his day and used it. (says the southern girl LOL) Love this interaction...

"Edward shook his head at Jasper."Shut it, Secesh.”

Jasper laughed. He liked it when Edward threw his era’s slang back at him. His laughter cut short, though, as he paused to analyze Edward’s emotional state. “You require employment,” and a good screw, Edward. “You need a break from yer normal round of mental hernia—even if that means jawing with a few cuddly housewives over the death of their goldfish.”

3. Thank you for not giving into the cannon cliches and for using Pixie in a different way. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Also I loved the musical battle between he and Jasper. Loved this:

He smiled to himself when his fingers hit a particular set of notes, and then he went full blast into “Where is My Mind?”

The Pixies held a special place in the fuck-you corner of Edward’s psyche.

As soon as the melody picked up, Jasper yelled at him from down the hall. “Aid-werd…!” he hollered, twang at full throttle. Edward cringed though he ignored him, so Jasper began to decry the great decline and fall of American music from the couch.

Apparently, Edward’s playing was interrupting Jasper’s viewing of “The Engineering of an Empire.” Edward shook his head and continued playing. As far as he was concerned, Jasper listened to Toby Keith, so he could go and fuck himself. A minute later, Jasper sent a wave of fatigue at him. Edward felt it rolling up his spine but disregarded it, focusing solely on the patterns of black and white and the melody filling his mind and filtering out all external thought. But then, Jasper’s throaty roll of the “The South Will Rise Again” came echoing down the hall.

Edward stopped playing. He would not taint the Pixies with such antebellum gaggery. Therefore, he waited patiently for Jasper to finish his hee-hawing. With Jasper’s final note finished, Edward gingerly placed his fingers on the keys.

He played “Yankee Doodle” with atypical gusto.

4. Hilarious. That's all I can say about this next passag.

When Bella leaned in to grab a book from the seat, her shirt rode up, showing her small waist and displaying a full view of her very small shorts… But Edward’s thoughts stopped short when he heard his brother’s thoughts.

Butt, butt, butt, butt, butt, butt... Emmett had fixated. Emmett was an ass man, and it seemed that Bella’s behind had met his standards.

To his left, Jasper had also noticed the appeal of Bella’s scent, although it smelled less poignant to him.

Edward tried to smack both of them—which they took as a sign for him trying to attack. “What are you doing?” Edward hissed, as they silently pushed him into the mossy undergrowth.

Both of them stopped and stared.

“Preventing you from eating your future patient,” Emmett replied, looking slightly confused.

Edward rolled his eyes. “I hit you because YOU,” he pointed at Emmett, “were ogling her ass, and because YOU,” he pointed at Jasper, “wanted to eat her, too.”

I really cannot wait to read more and am interested to see how you're going to have the characters overcome the challenges of their relationship - the bloodlust, the lust lust ;), the confines of the dr. patient relationship and the implied trust and potential of harm from breaking that trust, Edward's usual angstiness over his monster status, the list goes on... anyway excited for more. How often do you anticipate updating? Thanks!
FrogKaos chapter 1 . 4/30/2009
Loving this very original story so far. Can't wait to see what happens next. :D
twanza chapter 1 . 4/30/2009
Yay you! Great start to a story. Love Jasper and his twang. Thank you, thank you!
Batgirl8968 chapter 1 . 4/30/2009
Followed AG's rec over here...I followed Waxing Crescent, but never reviewed (only started reviewing anything recently), but I just had to say how much I enjoyed this opening chapter.

First, you captured late '20s Chicago very well. I love that you encorporated terminology from that time into the story. Helps suspend disbelief that much more. Really helps the setting. You also write very descriptively, which really helps the story.

This is one of the first fics where an author actively shows Edward /using/ his power. I said the same thing in my review of the Fallout for OCD, but it applies here too: It's nice to see an author really use Edward's thoughts, and handle it well. You have the balance of showing that sometimes he ignores thoughts, while at the same time including enough for us to know that the 'mind-reading' is /constant/ and important to him as a character.

Dude, your 1928 Edward is FIERCE. Definitely his 'rebel' years. Anyway, first part, really well done and definitely drew me in!

2004. SUCH a difference between the two parts! I love that dichotomy you created, between the two. It's a pretty cool effect.

Edward with glasses. Nice.

I like your Jasper, and his accent. It makes sense, for a guy who lived in the South for so long to still have a Southern accent. Liked the Jasper-Edward music battle, btw.

2005. I like seeing Edward find out about his patients. And Ben-aww... But ya, it's nice seeing him 'use his powers for good', if you will.

On that note, one of the things I REALLY liked about this story, was seeing Edward trying to desensitize himself to Bella's scent in a REAL way. I mean, he wants to eat her; I'm sure just sitting in the same office with her for hours isn't going to do the trick. His instincts would be too strong. So I really appreciated how you included that.

I liked the banter between the boys at the end, about checking Bella out. Cute bonding moment, haha.

Overall, I'm definitely liking this concept. It will be interesting to see how 1928 Edward gets to be his 2004 self. Definitely going to follow this one, and review more! :)

-Batgirl aka BelleBlack on Twi'd
smellyia chapter 1 . 4/30/2009
Oh how do I love this? Mucho.

The first part - the murders - I love starting the chapters off with this. It gives a very interesting perspective on Edward's forays into the human diet prior to Twilight which I like very much - but by itself may bore at times. Here you are tying it into this very intriguing story that takes E into new spheres.

The maturity with which Edward will have to conduct himself in this situation draws me to the character. I don't normally find myself reading a story for him, but this is already proving to breaking that mold. But the last scene - you are a fabulous comedian my dear.

I am excited for the rest!
Ms. Leading08 chapter 1 . 4/30/2009
So far, this story is really really good. Amazing, in fact. Your writing is so flawless, I can perfectly visualize everything in my head.

Of course, I would expect no less. You were highly recommended by AG, so of course this would be good!

I got a chill up my spine at: "Fucked her, raped her, couldn’t soothe me, so I shaked her." That totally seems like a line from a crazy horror movie like 'Silence of the Lambs' or something. Very disturbing, but also very fitting for the scene.

I'm really excited to see where this story goes. It seems like a very smart and deep story, but still funny. Plus, who doesn't love Shrinkward? He's one of my favorites ;)

Keep up the good work, you've done an amazing job so far :)
2402a chapter 1 . 4/30/2009
Welcome back I am so excited!
2,893 | « Prev Page 1 .. 177 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 .. Last Next »