Reviews for If Love Could Light a Candle
vanessarae chapter 1 . 4/28/2009
Wow. I definitely want more.
dmc123 chapter 1 . 4/28/2009
Loved the first chapter and can't wait to see where you are going to take this. You are such a talented writer. Oh- and I loved when Jasper called Edward a copperhead (which I thought was just referring to his hair color), but after reading the AN- I love it even more! And the piano scene between them ending with Yankee-Doodle was great! Can't wait to read more!
emamula chapter 1 . 4/28/2009
Love this so far! The characterization of Edward is great, and the interactions going on are interestling and seem really accurate. Can't wait to read more!

Emily

"emamula"
alisa231 chapter 1 . 4/28/2009
Pastiche,

I've been excited about this story since you mentioned it in the N&W epilogue. Your author's note only increased my anticipation. Ditto on the mischaracterization of Edward in the fandom. ;)

I love how effortlessly you changed tone in this chapter. The first scene is raw and gritty. Edward's characterization is brilliant in its complexity. You manage not to simplify his vigilante efforts either way -he's not deified or vilified -and I find that very refreshing. Ending the scene with him praying for the bum was touching.

This part was great too:

"“I like them soft, dear,” she mentally mimicked. "SOFT." Soft. I’ll tell you what else is always soft you limp-dicked ingrate—you worthless…

Her thoughts trailed off once she spied Edward’s face.

Bet he’s not soft."

I like the family dynamic you've created with the Cullen's. The interaction between Emmett, Jasper and Edward was especially amusing. Very sibling like. I think I laughed for a good five minutes at Jasper's 'sangers'. )

Your use of language is interesting. I don't know how many fics I've come across that use the same generic words over and over again. Your vocab is eloquent and elevated without trying to be...it's very pleasing to read. I like that you've given the characters specific 'voices' as well. I can clearly distinguish between what Alice would say versus Jasper versus Carlisle...it's nice.

I admire your versatility as a writer -this is quite different from Nymph. I look forward to seeing this story develop. Great job.

Oh, and Edward in glasses is win. )
elfinchakie chapter 1 . 4/28/2009
PIXIES. Fucking love it. Just listened to the piano version and you're right, its beautiful. Made my day :D

Anyway, the story. I love it, I really like how it's in 3rd person instead of 1st... It makes a change from all the other fanfics out there. I'm pretty excited about the next chapter. You've got me hooked so keep it up!
lorelidelovely chapter 1 . 4/28/2009
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! AG was right this f-ing ROCKS. Can't wait to read more! Already jonesing for the next chapter. I'll be telling all my Twilighter friends about you ;)
vespaa chapter 1 . 4/28/2009
oh totally loving the first chapter - not to blow smoke up your ass or anything but i just KNEW this was going to be good the minute I saw who the author was :) AND its got plenty of Jasper as well *sigh* My 2 fav boys... you have made me a happy lady! this little gem is goin straight on alert!
needsntrvention chapter 1 . 4/28/2009
love it so far... any gnomes or flamingos? haha

great description and back story. love the praying for the bum and leaving the money in the church... he is still Edward, even when he is being bad.

the play between the brothers is fun.. how it should be when you spend 60 years with someone.
genlaren chapter 1 . 4/27/2009
Murderers. How could Edward ever feel like a monster for killing such awful beings? I wonder what happens that brings Edward back to Carlisle. Perhaps, you'll write about it. I hope so. Maybe he kills an innocent? Though, that seems unlikely. Hm...

Anyhow...I enjoyed this first chapter. The pace is fantastic. And I appreciate the dialect. It really captures the past and of course gives Jasper so much character. You're glossary is helpful and considerate. Very nice.

Can I point out a nitpick? My son's name is Henry and I of course always notice when I read the name. Margaret's husband is initially referred to as 'Henry', but later on as 'Harry'. I probably only noticed because I'm so attuned to the name Henry.

Otherwise, your attention to detail is astounding I can't wait to read more.
ohlneeme chapter 1 . 4/27/2009
i love how this will be different than twilight because edward is not a student, but maintain similar timing and plot. why start with one of edward's murders for each chapter? will it be shown to be necessary for e/b's relationship? i love learning about the edward that existed before we met him in twilight. i am very intrigued.
burninglightdustyshade chapter 1 . 4/27/2009
Wow. I'm impressed. I've not read anything by you before but was intrigued by the a/n. I, too, am tired of the mischaracterization of Edward in the fandom. I also don't enjoy rewrites of SM's canon Edward. Or attempts at it that don't do any better than she did. I normally avoid vamp fics because I feel people don't try to understand the depths of his emotions and the struggle his "gift" brings him. It's not all sunshine and roses being able to read thoughts and be a vampire and rarely have I read anything that portrays what that actually might be like. Until now. You've represented it very well so far.

I also loved that you chose to show him desensitizing himself to her scent before he's alone with her. Excellent idea. And the glimpse of his past was incredible. I love that you included more senses in your descriptions. The scents that surround an experience are remembered easier than even the things we see and would be even more impactful to a vampire. I love that you included scent in your descriptions of his environment. It takes me there with him.

Very intrigued to see what happens when she comes to her appointment. And to watch and see how things develop between them. Off to check out your other stories!
hypnotix chapter 1 . 4/27/2009
Fuck! oh my god. Edward AND the pixies. that's sort of my dream come true. you just collided my worlds. thank you for that.

umm...huge jacksper fan here (and fellow southerner), so i love your portrayal of him. he's hilarious. people often think that emmett is the only one who can be funny. so i'm glad you attribute humor to him.

interesting twist on the canon, plot-wise. i'll see where you go with it, but it seems like the personalities are..roughly...the same, but perhaps emphasizing the less obvious traits most other fanfic gives them.

All in all a good, and fairly intriguing, start!
ChrisRW chapter 1 . 4/27/2009
Very well written story. I love the slang from the different eras. Looking forward to more!
ECownsme chapter 1 . 4/27/2009
So, no one has actually gave light to how freaking maddening Jasper's southern accent is. And when I say maddening I mean, utterly sexy. I think I'm in love.

Classic Emmett. I love it. Can't wait to read more.
Skeeter McKitty chapter 1 . 4/27/2009
The Pixies! I wonder what "Wheres My Mind?" would sound like on the piano?

I am completely engage in your story and cant wait to read how it plays out.
2,872 | « Prev Page 1 .. 179 186 187 188 189 190 191 .. Last Next »