Reviews for Are You There?
Guest chapter 1 . 3/9/2014
I loved this. At first I was skeptical (what. dean sneaking off. this is going to be dumb.) then intrigued, but skeptical (what? is... is that a church? ok... but why is dean going to a church. is this au?) and then I started reading the prayer and (even though I'm a Christian myself) it really struck me, because I identify with this sometimes. And it seemed so in character for Dean, even if it was, on the surface, out of character. Anyway, this brought honest to goodness, real-wetness tears to my eyes, and made me think, and I loved it. So thank you ;)
Crimson1 chapter 1 . 5/10/2009
I read this before, and then came back to it again after rewatching the episode in question, and...damn, hits even harder. Especially with what's happening on the show now...I'm scared. So this really helped, it did, much as I fear for this week's finale. I appreciated it quite a bit. I wonder if Dean is praying...
Miyo86 chapter 1 . 5/8/2009
You should never be afraid to put themes about faith into your fanfic- this turned out great! And I completely know what you mean about Dean and prayer. Maybe its because its so humbling, or that it makes me smile that he might be find a little faith, but I just love the image! You pulled it off completely in character too. Praying that Cas wasn't being punished because of him- that is so Dean.: ) And the line about sacrifice just gave me chills. Wonderful job.
Nana56 chapter 1 . 5/6/2009
Nah, I'm not offended. I'm a born again Christian and I'd love to see Dean make an effort like this.

Nicely done!
Micaiah chapter 1 . 5/6/2009
I consider myself a religious person and I wasn't offended in any way. This is just pure Dean. I've been wanting to see some more of his prayers. Great job!
Meggin Lane chapter 1 . 5/5/2009
I think you nailed it (no blasphemous pun intended)

Dean's whole outer image of the tough guy that doesn't need or ask for anyones help makes his vulnerability when he does turn to pray even more poignant almost 'grace-full' ( again with the bad puns-sorry)

Seeing him like that, so open and reaching out makes me shudder at what I'd do, what fugly I'd be willing to kill for the man. It really brings out the Lioness response in me. Therein lies the magic in that man.
Medic04 chapter 1 . 5/5/2009
That was amazing. It pulled at my heartstrings seeing Dean beyond humbled, even for him.

~Michelle
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 5/4/2009
I liked it.

I think you did a great job with Dean as he prayed. I could just picture his reluctance to enter the church and than talk to God, to ask for help. It sounded like Dean.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Linnie McCary chapter 1 . 5/4/2009
“If there’s a price to pay, please don’t make others pay for what I owe.”

Oh, sweetie, this is SO Dean! Great job.
Twinchy chapter 1 . 5/4/2009
Deangirl, I really like your take on Dean praying and his reasons for doing it in the first place.

You kept this whole one-shot very in character for the older Winchester and had the reader feel his discomfort and uneasiness through every word he spoke. With your "Not quite the reaction I was hoping for, but at least, there wasn’t any smiting…" you truly made me laugh.

It's entertaining how different Dean's approach to faith is in contrast to that of others (e.g. Sam's) maybe. He's definitely more in the 'if the Man Upstairs doesn't like my stuff, he'll kick my behind instantly' league.

I'm sure Dean will only learn whether his actions were right or wrong through Castiel (if at all) but certainly not by getting smitten right on the spot.

You can't believe how grateful I was to read how whole-heartedly he prayed for his younger brother's sake.
Wastinaway chapter 1 . 5/4/2009
As everyone else has already said, this was wonderful. Your Dean was absolutely pitch perfect. I could picture the scene in the church and hear Dean praying, and there was not one false note that pulled me out of that scene. I love it when I can get totally immersed in a story. It made my heart ache for him, how very hard he's trying.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Nancy
sylia91 chapter 1 . 5/4/2009
This was beautiful and sad. I think Dean is past the end of his rope at this point. I'm not sure what else he can endure and of course Kripke will just dial it past 11 again but I can totally picture him desperately asking for help and again never for himself. Gotta say that what they're putting Dean through right now is no motivation for doing the right things and sacrificing for others. He should have built more than enough good Karma by now and seems to have negative bupkus to show for it. There better be an amazing payoff at the end of this or we should all go over to the dark side, they seem to pay better. LOL.
bambers2 chapter 1 . 5/4/2009
You know what, I really loved Dean praying . . .course you probably already knew that much, right? I really liked how he stumbled through it, searching for the right words, and praying for everyone but himself. This was an awesome oneshot, Lisa! bambers;)
sidjack chapter 1 . 5/4/2009
I was not offended. I think this is so clever, so funny and sweet and so Dean. I could hear him in this, his uncertainty, his reluctance to turn anywhere for help (Even God) and his ability to downplay his own importance and take all the blame/punishment/sacrifice on his own shoulders. Again.

Well done.

sid
masondixon chapter 1 . 5/4/2009
This was a good story. I feel so sorry for Dean of late because of how alone he must feel. And yet he is still reaching out trying to save others- strangers, friends, family, the world- with no expectation of support. So I could easily see him praying for the safety of Sam and the others (never himself, of course) and hoping that their is "someone" out there listening to him and hearing him and, hopefully, helping him. I believe, in the end, Dean and Sam will make it through this latest journey whole and together. But the paths they have to get to that end sure are treacherous and frightening. Hope we all make it down them together. Thank You for your story.