Reviews for Dead in Denmark
GlassMazeGazer chapter 30 . 1/13/2020
I enjoyed a somewhat less stress filled ending than I anticipated. However, despite it now being a moot point, I’m still wondering who outed Sookie to Victor (B4 the Queen outed her to everyone).

Also, it’s probably ‘Un-American’ or something, but having read this & some of your other stories (so far) I find I prefer the Scandinavian settings to Louisiana & neighboring states. Not only does it provide opportunities to learn more about the region (from a native!), but it’s a more appealing cultural & geographical environment to me.

I hate the heat, humidity, & bugs in the central & eastern regions of the southern U.S. Although the regional cuisines are delicious, I’m not a big fan of much else south of the 40 degree south latitude line. That’s not just ‘Yankee’ prejudices talking, half of my family is from the south.

Based on my limited exposure, I prefer the blunt, somewhat stark feel I get from Scandinavian films & images, stories, & history. The food sounds every bit as tempting (although probably healthier than southern U.S. cooking), the people (on average) seem to be less uptight than southern American “Bible Belters,’ although I’m aware all cultures have their own versions of uptight quirks. Plus there are real seasons & snow there (not just Warm, Hot, Hotter, & Hottest).

Oddly, my Nordic/Scandinavian interests started decades ago in my childhood despite my family tree indicating only Irish, English, & Scottish ancestry. Maybe some of those sturdy ‘Viking’ genes from ‘visits’ to those locales became invisibly mixed in there somewhere & over ruled any curiosity about Celts, Druids, Anglo Saxons, ...
GlassMazeGazer chapter 29 . 1/13/2020
“ Im a sucker for cheap love-stories. They always end well. Which is more than you can say for real life love-stories.” OR more than you can say for CH’s SVM book series!

So, predicting elements/actors in disasters in waiting:
All the vampires show up to a “trial” armed with knives & swords? So is a sword fight a normal part of the proceedings or are the weapons for a ‘just in case’ situation?
Victor’s side is going to cause some kind of chaos if/when the Norns don’t rule against Eric.
Quinn’s brain chanting, “Sookie, Sookie, Sookie, ...” — I’m thinking he was glamoured at the airport to do something to add to some kind of planned chaos to come from the enemy camp.
Victor knows about Sookie’s telepathy so I’m thinking Vladimir told him. Either Victor or Vladimir will try to grab Sookie during the chaos. That would be an insane thing to do so I’m pretty confident that is part of Victor’s ultimate plan.
Compton is a wild card, creepy, but I’m thinking it’s a toss-up as to whether he actually hates Victor or Eric more. I expect he’ll end up backing the one he hates the least during the chaos, even if that is Eric.
It’s hard to imagine Bubba supporting Victor over Eric. I’m betting he jumps to Eric’s side during the chaos.
I’m guessing the ‘small, round’ female is Sandy Sechrest. If it were Felipe there rather than Victor, I’m pretty sure she’d support Felipe, but hardly anyone could stomach Victor even if they hate Eric. She could back Eric in the chaos as a gamble to ensure Victor is killed off hoping to make an opening for her to make a grab for a throne.

Can’t think of anything else except A) Holy Crap, the Queen just basically outed Sookie to the whole damn vampire world & B) Like Sookie, I’d be seriously freaked out sitting on the cusp of a real live, all out sword fight involving a bunch of vampires even without having to worry about Eric!
GlassMazeGazer chapter 28 . 1/13/2020
I always feel sorry for the Eriks in the SVM/TB world. The Sookies ALWAYS blame the Eriks for everything going to hell, completely ignoring their own contributions to the chaos along with somehow managing to make the actions of all the antagonists his fault as well. Own your own shit bitches & lay the blame where it belongs, including the blame that the Erik in question actually deserves! Granted, so far this version of Erik is higher than average in being secretive, clueless, & insensitive (except sexually) relative to what he should be sharing with Sookie. On the other hand, it doesn’t appear that she gets much of a chance to think straight between all of the mind-blowing orgasms so she doesn’t seem to have noticed or cared as much about that as most other Sookies.
GlassMazeGazer chapter 27 . 1/13/2020
The dog race simile is very apt, for this situation in particular, but also for the general thought patterns of a stressed Sookie character. For my own thoughts in reaction to so many things happening in this chapter, I choose a different simile — like a ricocheting bullet in a room lined with thick steel!
GlassMazeGazer chapter 26 . 1/13/2020
RE: 1st A/N — A ‘twin set” of Erics? Could a human even survive Eric at that dosage?

The irony! Sookie’s freaking out about the possibility of Erik being able to control her after they bonded and he’s feeling pleased that the bond will help him be a little less inconsiderate, which should ultimately work in her favor too. I gotta say, I think this is the only time I’ve seen an Erik thinking of such a utilitarian use for the blood bond! Very original!

RE: Bottom A/N on the Danish Royals — the downside to a democratic government is having to tolerate hateful, bigoted assholes like Trump being put into office, but the upside is they are only allowed to stay in office for a limited time even with a re-election, unlike royals whom the country has to tolerate & cope with for their lifetime regardless of their level or type of awfulness.
GlassMazeGazer chapter 24 . 1/13/2020
As Astro & Scooby would say, “Ruh-roh!” (Pardon the cartoon dog reference there, but with her memories of Sam running through this chapter, I just couldn’t help myself.)
GlassMazeGazer chapter 23 . 1/13/2020
Huh. Color me shocked. Sookie didn’t kick up a fuss.

That Vladimir dude is gonna make some trouble for them. And I don’t care how accommodating the queen seems about their relationship & bonding, I’m betting she’s still got some shit up her sleeve they’re not gonna like either.
GlassMazeGazer chapter 22 . 1/13/2020
No sense of self-preservation indeed! I can see Sookie being moved enough to reveal herself to protect Eric, but she could at least have asked for everyone except the queen, Erik, & maybe Rasmus before blurting it out. Quinn is too much of an untrustworthy buffoon to know such things, even if his mother & sister were already out of harms way.

And Erik, for a guy that doesn’t carry a gun, sure likes to shoot himself in the foot on a regular basis. Clearly he was scrambling to protect Sookie & cover for her reckless revelation, but to announce that he & Sookie are going to be bonded (never having even mentioned what that is to her) & excitedly forging ahead with it despite being pressed to do it immediately has the potential to be just as much of a hot button as the whole ‘turning’ idea. Sookie is still more in the dark about all this vampire crap than Helen Keller in a room painted black & lit by a single bulb from a string of Christmas/fairy lights! It’s like he’s never met a woman before & couldn’t possibly have any notion that there might be any objections from her to his plans & intentions as he blithely moves forward.

I’m picturing two locomotives running on the same track right at each other, full steam ahead. What could go wrong?
GlassMazeGazer chapter 21 . 1/13/2020
cough, cough Um, Erik — don’t you think her declaration of being yours would be more meaningful if she actually knew all of what it means, not just the limited feeding rights bit? Just sayin’... (Damn! Mimes have more effective & comprehensive communication with each other than these two seem to have so far.)

And it ends with the sound of Sookie’s telepathy being outed in the next few minutes. Visits with vampire royalty are always a bad thing in this fandom it seems.
GlassMazeGazer chapter 19 . 1/13/2020
“...what could have happened at Næstved Stor Center...?” There’s no character better at living in denial than a Sookie. All kinds of things happen to people in busy shopping centers in broad daylight all over the world, never mind people who are actively being targeted. Gah! I hate it when Sookies forget to use their brains for more than filler to keep their ears from chaffing together!

Well, at least there was some grown-up communication between the two of them by the end of the chapter.
GlassMazeGazer chapter 18 . 1/13/2020
For someone hiding out from danger, this Sookie sure has loose lips! She’s telling yet another person about Erik, really? Wouldn’t it just be faster & easier to hire billboards & run TV advertisements to spread the word?
GlassMazeGazer chapter 15 . 1/13/2020
Ah, see you have a much better tolerance for Quinn — and Sam than I. It seems that most of the Weres, weres, & shifters (in the original books & nearly all the things they inspired) are insanely chauvinistic and possessive.

Eric is definitely possessive (who of us wouldn’t feel the same in return if he was actually ours?) but he is never, ever a chauvinist, unless written by a FF author who failed to understand the character’s essential nature. I can’t think of another fictional male that is more appreciative & supportive of strong female characters. Those who think he’s a chauvinist are actually confusing his vampire over human prejudices of capabilities as male over female prejudices.
GlassMazeGazer chapter 14 . 1/13/2020
Help from an old friend doesn’t sound too far fetched, but Sookie didn’t seem to have much trust in the queen so I’m questioning the current benefits vs the possible future costs in involving the queen. I’m a cynic, what can I say...
GlassMazeGazer chapter 13 . 1/13/2020
Ack! I hate Quinn as much as a polar bear as I do as a tiger.

Is it just me that thinks it’s incredibly stupid to answer the door in a bathrobe, towel, or nightgown (especially without looking to see who it is first)? I see it done in stories or on TV shows all of the time so maybe I’m the crazy oddball. If I’m in the bath or not dressed I don’t answer the door, even if I’m expecting someone because they can wait until I’m ready for company. If they’re too impatient to wait a few minutes then they’re too impatient for me to want to see them.

All that aside, going back home when she knows dangerous Supes are prowling & sniffing around her place is a typically asinine Sookie move. A Sookie just follows her nose into the most dangerous situation available at the moment then jumps in with both feet wearing a blindfold. You had me fooled until now thinking this was one of those very rare Sookies with common sense & the ability to & habit of thinking & acting rationally.
GlassMazeGazer chapter 11 . 1/13/2020
Some of the writers out here pen long elaborate love scenes that are so complicated & recycled that I find myself skimming through them looking for something interesting that happens when that scene is done. By the time I finished the first two short paragraphs here I was hooked & feeling twinges of my own. I stayed hooked all the way through. Straight forward & hot. Well done!