Reviews for Skin
Redneckgal1123 chapter 1 . 7/22/2012
Ong I luv that song from rf and the Tory line fits so well this is truly one of the best stories I've every read great job.
Pink Crane chapter 3 . 7/13/2012
hey i missed all kinds of your updates. made me cry. but amazing as usual
pretty please update soon
paper.creations chapter 3 . 2/15/2010
All three chapters, I was just at the point of tears. That was the most beautifully heartbreaking thing I think I've ever read. Wonderfully well written, fabulous plot idea, and I just love how every once in a while you'll include a verse from the song you based this off of.

I like how you're jumping through time with this fic. You've settled into a great rhythm. I love that you start with the one year anniversary of her death, and show how the SPD's handling it, and then going back to when Syd was just diagnosed and how you skim through the last four years of her life with Sky. So heartbreaking.

I've never seen SPD (I'm a MMPR girl, myself) but this fic has instilled the urgent desire to watch this series. I've heard it's one of the best series of PR, and if it's anything like this piece, I believe it.

You don't cartoonize cancer either, as you mention in one of your author notes. I love how you've managed to paint such a saturday morning cartoon staple into something so tragic and grown up and real. It's amazing to read.

I love it, and I absolutely can't wait to read the next installment, so please, re-post soon!

-Maggie
Sailor GaOn Donut chapter 3 . 2/8/2010
nice
project314 chapter 3 . 2/7/2010
I think I screamed out in delight when I got the story alert for this latest chapter. That's how much I love this. Actually, hold that thought. I love it way more, only there isn't an actual way of expressing that level of joy and exhilaration physically.

It turns out this is a story that's best enjoyed in private. I had the brilliant idea of reading it while sitting in the backseat while we were driving down to my uncle's for the week-end. I fought very very hard to hold back tears, especially in the first scene. I hadn't expected it to be so difficult, but I was wrong.

The first scene was amazing in its simplicity, its sadness and its beauty. There was nothing excessive in this small group of friends and family gathering to honor Sydney, nothing felt overdone. The emotion just flowed from the interactions, the dialogue, the imagery. From Sky's single white rose which held blue, red and pink ribbons, to his moments with Jack and Bridge, to the introduction of Sarabeth. And last, but by no means least, the moment that came pretty close to taking me over the edge, the visual of his mother and Syd's mother by his side to comfort him.

The scene was so very powerful and heartwarming. I felt so much sadness from the knowledge that it meant Syd was gone, and yet there was something good, for which I can't find the word, about seeing all these characters I love being there for each other. What initially seemed to start out as a dysfunctional B-Squad, well now it was the tightest family you could ever find. Oh, I think that word I was looking for might be 'comforting'.

Moving along. Those moments you chose to showcase in the rest of the chapter were all great, with one little personal reservation, but I'll get back to that later.

First, the luncheon. Initially, I thought it was a nice lead-in to Sky's proposal to Sydney and I felt it nicely tied up some loose ends, setting up SPD's evolution as it was hinted at in 'Once a Ranger'. I'm seeing something more there now, however. For the longest time, Sky's greatest wish had been to become a Red Ranger in order to follow in his father's footsteps. At the beginning of the SPD season, it seemed like it was the only thing that mattered to him. Considering that, you'd think he'd be much more excited by his promotion as Base Commander, that he'd really be enjoying that moment a lot more. But he isn't, he can't, because that's not where his heart is anymore. Sky's grown a lot in the time we got to know him, and you've managed to make him grow by leaps and bounds, thanks to a former pink ranger. That's beyond awesome and this scene is a perfect way of showing this change in priorities and this change in who Sky is.

Sky and Syd, back at the beach. First, it's a nice nod to the end of the previous chapter. It's also a very sweet moment, with the dinner, and the beautiful proposal. Sky's speech was perfect and I liked the fact that he kept going, seemingly addressing her most likely fears right away, showing that he'd really put a lot of thought into it all and that his heart was really in it. The ring itself, with the colors chosen, colors similar to those of those ribbons, it was great.

The reception, there's nothing I can say that adds to the review. It was a perfect moment, with Syd and Sky surrounded by friends and family.

The previous scene, with the almost-sex and the final scene post-sex, that's where my reservations are from. On the one hand, you really managed to get all the emotion and all the feelings out of it, for both Sky and Syd. They were both amazingly written. And maybe that's where my discomfort came in. Maybe you've written this relationship too well. Reading these scenes, where Syd and Sky couldn't be closer, I felt like I was eavesdropping on something so special, intimate, private. I felt a bit guilty, maybe? It's weird, I know, but I'm having trouble pinpointing it more precisely.

All this being said, it was another incredible chapter in one of the best stories I've ever had the pleasure to read. Thank you, and I'll be looking forward to the next story alert. )

David
Enigmaforum chapter 3 . 2/5/2010
So I loved this. I really did. It was heartbreaking, beautiful, and just such a good thing to read. I think the beginning just about broke my heart. I had tears in my eyes in reading about the others heartbreak at the loss of their team member. And Sky and their daughter just...wow. You really conveyed that emotion so well.

The proposal made me squeal in delight. Sky so romantic. I melted and the wedding just aw. I think it was really well done. And that taste of steaminess we got? damn.

Loved it as always.
Dyrne-Faemne chapter 2 . 11/29/2009
well done. Such a lovely story and sad too. Continue
TVfureak6788 chapter 2 . 11/26/2009
Omg, this story is so amazing! Please update it soon I want to read more!
PurpleRanger101 chapter 2 . 10/8/2009
AH! I love love love love it! please update soon because I want to know what happens! Please please please!

Michelle
Ms. Fairweather chapter 2 . 7/24/2009
oh wow...this is fantastic. I look forward to more.
project314 chapter 2 . 7/23/2009
*snaps fingers repeatedly*

It's really rare with me when it comes to reviewing stories, but I feel speechless right now.

It might be that my evening reminded me of Friday night dinners with the Gilmores (at the grandparents, since dinner with only Lorelai & Rory would most likely just be awesomely fun), but I think it left me in the right mindset for this chapter. Part of me didn't want to read it, didn't feel ready for it. I was expecting that it would completely break me down, and it did.

And this is what I love about this particular story. I don't know what it feels like to write something like this (let me know!), but reading it, there's so much beauty and sadness in every scene and every moment. What's happening is so so wrong, but you've written it all just right. I was teary from the opening scene right through to the end.

Specifics. I loved the opening scene in the 'present' (future, whatever). Sky's reunion with the others was bittersweet and I really like that there are still questions and mysteries you've set up, like who's being picked up.

The piano room scene. When you went with the hair bit, I was brought back to Rascal Flatts, I think it's the 3rd verse? It's so cool that you're still following the song. That whole bit with her remembering the morning's events, Sky's arrival, the confrontation, Sky not backing down (yay!), the second confrontation and the snuggle, it was pretty great. Everything flows so smoothly, even with the progression of very different emotions.

The group movie. Very fun, followed by incredibly traumatizing. So much urgency captured in that second half.

Hospital? I loved Bridge catching their kiss. Need I say any more?

Sky's visit: The little pink teddy bear and the pink roses. Aw!

Side note, I love the eye descriptions. The dark navy eyes and the beloved crystal blue ones in the beach scene. And speaking of beach scene, heartbreaking yet beautiful.

Seriously, I feel so fortunate to have landed on this. The most rewarding stories to me are those that make you experience something, those that you read and you can just let yourself feel the emotion in it. Cry, smile, laugh, be scared. Just a few of the many different feelings that your writing here all brought out in me. Thank you so much for that!

David
Ms. Fairweather chapter 1 . 6/9/2009
this is a great beginning- I'd love to see you continue it! Please?
project314 chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
So, I initially posted this review over at PRE, but since I don't know where you're more active, I thought I'd post it here as well. For future reference, let me know if you have a preference when it comes to posting reviews. I'm on most PR boards, so I can review wherever you'd like. )

Well, I gotta say, between the song and the story, you had me tearing up there. Syd is probably one of the sweetest characters we've gotten to see as a Ranger and this completely tore me up inside.

The only thing I'm not sure of is starting things off in the future, because we now know that Syd doesn't survive this. Without that flashforward, we would have had the hope of a happy ending, and I think that her dying would have been that much more poignant and that much more of a shock. Then again, I'm sure there must be reasons justifying that you'd have that scene at the beginning, in terms of what your aims are with the storytelling.

That first sequence, I loved the visual of that picture with Syd and Sky. It really gave us an incredible image of them, very sweet, smile-inducing for sure. Who doesn't love Syd's big blue eyes? )

The scene at the doctor's office was very down to earth, non-Rangery. So very fitting then that her parents would be taking her there and not her teammates. The fear in Syd, it was completely out of character. But then again, this isn't something you'd expect her to have to deal with. It broke my heart to see her scared like that, to see the human behind the hero. This is the true Syd, behind the bravado and the perkiness. Seeing the music video for Skin next to that, it really makes it that much more emotional.

The scene with Sky, also quite beautifully written. The reflex of bringing her to see Kat and his reaction once he realized the seriousness of it all, Syd just falling apart in his arms. I'm probably going to start sounding like a broken record, but again, heartbreaking. Next time, I'm keeping a kleenex (or many) nearby.

I thought what I'd read of Legacy of Power: At World's End so far was incredibly written and this one's no different. It's vivid, it's real, there's a lot of feeling and emotion that went into it and that emanates from it as well. I can't wait to read more... )
Blue ranger 1983 chapter 1 . 5/16/2009
Oh my god this story is so beautifully written I can't wait to see how Sky and Syd handle this. I love this song, even though it's painful for me to listen to. I lost both of my parents to cancer within three years of each other so this song really gets to me.
Sailor GaOn Donut chapter 1 . 5/12/2009
wow, what a beginning. the start looks good.