Reviews for Filling the Hole
ImpalaLove chapter 1 . 6/14/2013
I love how you describe Dean's feeling of losing his father compared to Sam's loss. Such a great contrast because they both had such different relationships with him. This was a great read, I love your writing style. And that last line was beautiful!
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 4/15/2013
But Sam had known better, really. He forgot sometimes in the midst of nursing his own battered heart, or trying to calm down irritated townfolk. He got frustrated, impatient, fed up. This wasn't usually his role, being the one looking after his brother. But Sam knew. He knew Dean was breaking, that he'd lost a father Sam had never known, that he was reliving the loss of the mom Sam had no memory of, and that he was alone in the world in a way Sam never would be as long as he had his brother. Dean was scared and hurt and self-destructing.

It always gets me when I think that Dean has been more of a parent to Sam than Mary or John, so he's still got his parental figure in life when John dies. Dean has lost every authority over him and now he's lost because he has to keep it all together and he has to be the rock for Sammy but he has no guidance now and it just hurts to see it laid out so eloquently.
Crystalzap chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
very nice, I like your stories :D
Scribble2Much chapter 1 . 9/3/2011
Wow. Really good.

My favourite lines:

"It wasn't like Sam had started yelling at him out of the blue. But the end result was the same: Dean immediately locking himself behind so many walls that Sam couldn't see past the flat green of his eyes, and walking out of the room, door shutting quietly behind him.

The gentleness of that final gesture was what drained Sam's anger all at once. Realization had quickly followed that Dean had finally succeeded in doing what he'd perversely been trying to all along: pushing Sam away, punishing himself by ending up truly alone."

You aptly illustrated the complexity of this relationship with this passage.
Whilom chapter 1 . 11/30/2009
It's amazing how you manage to convey so much emotion without even a word from Dean. Well done.
KKBELVIS chapter 1 . 7/19/2009
Dean was breaking, that he’d lost a father Sam had never known, that he was reliving the loss of the mom Sam had no memory of, and that he was alone in the world in a way Sam never would be as long as he had his brother. Dean was scared and hurt and self-destructing.

X

X

Just came across this poetic piece...Gawd...you turn me to dust...that's a good thing, my friend.

Another favorite of mine!

Sunshine,

Karen
TheKritty chapter 1 . 6/11/2009
Aw hell! That was jsut SO freaking cute and amazing and SO fun to read! Loved the brotherly angst / love in this little writing! You captured Dean and Sammy very very well and...yeah, I loved it *lol*

Very great job!

Kritty
carocali chapter 1 . 6/2/2009
When do these boys NOT have a hard time. They go from one bad situation to the next; the only thing they have is each other.

Some harsh words were spoken by both, but the season 2 boys were a little more forgiving. I look forward to that in season 5 again.

Thanks for the sweet moment of schmoop.

:D
charis-kalos chapter 1 . 5/26/2009
I miss the boys like this. As horrible as the loss of John was, they were okay while they had each other (once they remembered that they had each other). But now I've seen half of Season Four and they just don't seem able to find each other! It hurts!
Liafrombrazil chapter 1 . 5/14/2009
Filling the hole. This title's just perfect. For all your stories.

Dean has a hole in his soul and words cannot describe the loss he feels, unless they're your words.

I loved the way Sam came to the realization that Dean needed help because he was lost and scared. And that silence was the best way to show his love and support at the moment.

Loved from beginning to the end. These are just for illustration:

"A fierce love suddenly washed over Sam…"

"Surprise flickered. Suspicion. Bewilderment."

"Vulnerability. Longing."

"It was hard to see in the dim room, but in the reflected light of Dean’s eyes, Sam was pretty sure he saw a glimmer of hope. And of love back."

Your writing is always beautiful and I always look forward to reading what you have to say. Pure inspiration and talent.
Twinchy chapter 1 . 5/13/2009
Really well done, Hanna, with beautiful descriptions and wording (e.g. "some part of Sam grieved at the soldier who’d suddenly lost his C.O." or "Waiting for the price tag for the caring.").

I just love about the boys (and your wonderful reflection of them) that, no matter how severe the argument might have been initially, they always have one another and they always manage to restore the bridges they thought might be broken. Despite everything, there's still hope for their getting through it together!
Landwing chapter 1 . 5/13/2009
There's an art to knowing when anger fueled by worry is the appropriate response or whether just being glad the one missing comes back safe and (relatively) sound would work better. Not always easy to tell, as Sam and Dean exemplify for us all the time. Patience and charity are usually the best bet in the end, but sometimes it takes a little while to realize that. Well done.
bhoney chapter 1 . 5/13/2009
Aw, this was just beautiful. Gentle comfort. I especially loved this: "A fierce love suddenly washed over Sam. At that moment, it just didn’t matter: all the stupid arguments, the ugly things they’d both said, Dean’s reckless behavior. Sam had always known he was willing to die for his brother. But sometimes the real question was if he could live for Dean. And yeah, he could. It wasn’t even a decision." Well said. *sniffle*

I'm anxious to see your tags for some of the most recent episodes. I'm hoping you can wrangle some brotherly moments out of all the pain we've been seeing, and give us all a little comfort.
Scullspeare chapter 1 . 5/12/2009
That was beautiful. You really got to the essence of the brothers' relationship - 'a fierce love.' I love that description. It really does sum them up wonderfully.

While I've never doubted that Sam feels as strongly about Dean, as Dean does about his little brother, canon is more apt to give us Dean's perspective. For that reason, I loved that this story was told from Sam's POV, and was more emotionally powerful for it.

Loved it.

Sculls
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 5/12/2009
WONDERFUL story. I TOTALLY loved this Sam connection to Dean. I know I've like this kind of connection before in fics, but I think because of where the brothers are now and how disconnected they are, this story particularly struck a chord. I SO miss this kind of reaching out. LOVELY!

Fav. Parts:

Sam’s pulse jumped and his jaw clenched as he watched. There were at least three weapons in his wingspan, and he was ready to grab one and run out. First he just wanted to see what—

The figure turned a little, and the dim porch light caught on the dark blond highlights, and a metal amulet. Then the figure opened the back door and slid inside, easing the door shut behind it.

Dean. Climbing into the rear of the Impala.

-*gulp and sigh!

Dean’s whole body jumped when Sam opened the car door, eyes snapping wide. He already had his knife in his hand. As soon as he saw Sam, however, he…deflated. Flinched back a little against the door and watched Sam as warily as cornered prey.

Oh, God, had they really come to this? Dean scared at what Sam would throw at him next, willing to huddle in the car overnight rather than come back into the room? His face was bruised; he’d been in some sort of fight, and just he looked so drained.

-WONDERFUL *THUD!

He sat his brother on the toilet and pulled at the leather jacket. It was enough to get Dean moving, and he peeled off coat and plaid shirt, dropping them onto the edge of the tub. Then he just sat there, eyes somewhere halfway up the door, body hunched and looking strangely small and defenseless.

-*sniffle...sob!

He tucked his brother in like he could remember Dean having done so many times for him, then detoured back into the bathroom for a chemical ice pack. Sam activated it, then tucked it in between the pillow and Dean’s swelling left eye.

-OH! I SO LOVE THIS!

One wall after another gave way. Exhaustion. Defeat.

Sam pushed back against the headboard and swung his feet up, then reached for the remote. “I’ll be right here,” he whispered, no longer ordering, just promising.

Vulnerability. Longing.

-WONDERFUL!

Thanks for this great story!
54 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »