Reviews for On the Outskirts of Ithaca: Outtakes from IiG
BookwormBaby2580 chapter 1 . 10/13/2011
"The phone clicked as he closed it, but I kept mine at my ear, as though somehow more of his voice would be transmitted even without him on the other line."

That was a truly beautiful moment.
Crismebella chapter 1 . 4/13/2011
I love this! I love how you are showing how much Carlisle loves Edward. I also love how strong you are making Esme and How she is Carlisle's support. Most stories have it the other way and Esme much much more weepy and it felt not wrong but not quite right. She went thro so much that she had to be strong to survive that. And with Carlisle is his first comphanion, best friend and first son, of course he is going to be more emotionally about Edward being far away during a period of such pain. You are doing a very good job.
TwilightGuru09 chapter 1 . 9/26/2010
Carlisle was thinking as he should have been. Like a father and a friend. He was so heartbroken when Edward refused to come home it made him cry. And that made me cry. I love Carlisle.
amymorgan chapter 2 . 8/3/2010
"I—" am dirt, my mind went on. I am someone who should never have been inflicted on you. No, that wouldn't do. She wouldn't believe me, anyway. I took a deep breath. "I owe you an apology."

I love the way you fill in the gaps with his thoughts! I laughed out loud at that one!

Bad, my mind answered for me. The odds are bad. They always had been. "The odds," I muttered.

(Laughing again at Edward SadHeart.)

She might simply have shoved a broadsword through my middle. For a moment the image I had seen in the middle of the piazza flooded my memory—Bella's body, broken, bleeding, fading away as I tried to touch it. The air was suddenly thinner. The very idea of her dead, now that I had truly confronted the possibility—I shuddered. But her words brought back another memory as well—six months and one week ago, when that awful expression had crossed her face in the woods behind the little white house where we both now lay. "I don't want you to come with me….You're not good for me….It will be as if I'd never existed." The words clawed at me now, threatening to rip me apart from the inside as they had in Ithaca, in San Francisco, in New Orleans, in Brazil. She had believed me then, and she still believed the lie now.

Great!

"But what about when I get so old that people think I'm your mother? Your grandmother?" The tears flowed again, trickling down her jawbone and leaving splotches on the comforter. I leaned forward and brushed my lips to them—like every other part of her, they were exquisite. How was it possible for her to think I would ever find her anything less than unbearably desirable, no matter how far we might be spread in physical age?

Aw, the very best part of love. Thank you!
amymorgan chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
He might as well have just slapped me across the face. I had to take a deep breath before I could manage to remind myself that this was Edward I was talking to. He was the master at living alone. He could convince himself that he was without company even when he had someone's arms around him. With four months completely on his own, he would undoubtedly have managed to convince himself yet again that no one else cared for him. I shook my head sadly.

Carlisle's assessment of Edward: mind-boggling. Thank you.
star574 chapter 2 . 7/24/2010
Bella asking the family to vote was one of my favorite things she did. :)
star574 chapter 1 . 7/23/2010
I can see why you needed to write this for yourself. Thanks for posting it for us!
MyPenNameIs chapter 2 . 5/25/2010
amazing as always! i loved reading it!
AngelaofAlagaesia chapter 2 . 4/13/2010
I've read a few versions of this scene an I really loved this one. Thank you so much for the attention to detail that you've worn in and out of the story - especially your ability to create new objects and NOT just let them fall away but make them a vital part of the story.
AngelaofAlagaesia chapter 1 . 4/8/2010
So now you know I am up to here in reading. "Ithaca" is my gift to myself read as I am doing work, so it is always open on my desktop and I love that. I love outtakes for the very reason that you wrote this one, to give us a little more about what the character was thinking and what you were thinking too. It is so much more pitiful to see these thoughts through Carlisle's mind, he is Edward's father, and Edward's separation is taking such a toll on him. What is truly beautiful, here, and throughout the story, is the way that you write their sorrow. The grief that they desire to express in human terms is written with such tenderness and respect for their nature.
jenward chapter 2 . 1/15/2010
"She was putting it to a vote.

Shit."

Thank you, that was perfection.
JoanB102001 chapter 2 . 1/13/2010
THAT was MOST EXCELLENT to read! There is so much in the books, that I want to hear from EPOV, and this was a real treat. Although it may not be SM, still I can't imagine her veering too far off from your course. And it fits in so well with the story, flawlessly. Brilliant!
Simaril chapter 1 . 1/12/2010
That was lovely. I was dissapointed to find this missing from the full Ithaca story and was delighted to find this here. I really enjoy getting a glimpse into Carlisle's mind. Thank you for your work.
Podge chapter 2 . 12/8/2009
That was great!
ravenstreak chapter 2 . 12/5/2009
List Time!

- “Just so we’re clear, my hiding with you does not constitute my approval of your being here against Charlie’s wishes.” This line almost seems a little tongue-in-cheek. Maybe more of a “do as I say, not as I do” moment. Just the idea of both Edward and Carlisle, technically, being delinquents together is hilarious. It’s also a nice, small clue that their relationship is well on its way to being mended.

- I don’t know how I feel about Edward ignoring Carlisle’s heartbreak (“He’s real. He’s still here”). It seems incredibly selfish. I know he just went through hell and whatnot, but still. The relationship still seems to be uneven. Edward is sharing his pain, but Carlisle is not (nor do I believe that he has the chance to). I know that this is how a lot of parental relationships are, but I’ve always thought that Edward and Carlisle’s relationship was a little more balanced.

- I really like the paragraph that begins with “She might simply have shoved a broadsword through my middle” since it’s a nice chunk of what Edward is thinking. Edward’s thoughts in “New Moon” always seemed to come out of nowhere. It’s nice to see them have a through-line that actually makes sense.

- I think the main thing about I got out of this chapter is that it’s nice to see Edward’s thoughts and how he reacts to Bella’s words and body. We all know the perspective from Bella so combining them feels like a whole picture.

- The full circle of “Please don’t” is a pleasant detail.

- Love this: ‘“That would be”—the worst kind of pain imaginable; the end of my world—“quite fair.”’ I snickered.

- Enjoy the medical description of the heart. I feel like it’s another connection between Edward and Carlisle that maybe Edward doesn’t see for himself.

- Cute way to end the “chapter.” Okay, off to review the official chapter.
83 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »