Reviews for The Paths We Choose
Yuki chapter 43 . 7/7
I'm the type of person who likes happy endings. I normally don't read horror or tragedies. To be honest, the only reason I read this story was because the summary was interesting and I didn't see the genre.

If I were to be asked if I like your story, my answer would be probably be no. As I said, I don't like tragic endings. Why'd I read this to the last chapter then? At first, I thought Naruto would be redeemed and I wanted to see that but it became evident in the Chuunin exam finals that there was no hope (and that's kind of when I noticed the genre). But you wrote this story so well that I just wanted to read more and more, even if I knew the ending would break my heart. And it did.

The part where Sasuke killed Naruto was so painful. His last thoughts says a lot. In the end, all he wanted was to make Hiruzen proud. In his heart, Naruto really was just a child wanting to be loved. And the part where Hinata remembers Naruto's smile... It's especially painful when I think about how things could have been (in this case, the canon's happy ending). I liked how Naruto died in this story. After countless assasinations, he succeeds in taking his revenge but finds that he is tired, discontented, and can't bring himself to stop. Then he dies by his best friend's hand.

I hope you understand how conflicted I feel right now. I, by nature, dislike tragedies, but I recognize that the story is good so I'm not really sure how to feel about your story (other than sad). To say that your story is bad because of the ending (when it is, as the genre says, a tragedy) would be a disservice to you. I am sure that had I played an appropriate background music to this last chapter, I'd have been bawling my eyes out. (I was pretty close to shedding some tears but I didn't want to cry so early in the day). I feel lucky that I read this after it was completed because based fron the publishing date, it took you a long time to update this story. I don't think I would have had the patience. I'm going to check out your page to see if you have other... less tragic stories.
vin chapter 43 . 7/7
Ouch. This story definitely is not my cup of tea. I don't like the way you develope Naruto's character here, it just ... twisted and cruel. If Naruto didn't die and won at the end, maybe at least I would like it. But well, this is your story, not reader's.
And although I don't like this story I have to admit that you did a good job at writing. Your reviews says that your story is great and they like it. It means you did good there. And your writing style is great too! Honest. If only you write something that was not so twisted I'm sure I would like it.
My point is, although I didn't like the plot, I'm very much enjoy your writing. So thank you for your hard word in this story.
Baron chapter 43 . 7/6
An amazing and detailed story! I'm so happy I started reading this 2 days ago and not back in 2009.
I love this story even though the ending was kinda rushed. But I do wish that Naruto had won and Hinata was still alive. He could have been a great and powerful ruler of the elemental nations. But alas in his arrogance, he released what could kill him.
Nate Grey chapter 43 . 7/3
A fitting and enjoyable end to this story. Welcome to my faves list.
Corpj123 chapter 43 . 7/3
Good fanfic except the end. This feels very forced, out of nowhere. Shikamaru wins for no reason at all. Naruto dies, made into a monster by the Kyuubi's chakra, which I didn't like. You could have easily had him live, hollow, and it would have been punishment enough. You should take a note from stories like Hell's Radiance. That's how to do a revenge story. This is probably pointless because you're either not going to read my review, or not respond to it, but yeah. It was still pretty good, but you really, really fucked up the ending. But from reading reviews and chapters, I can tell that you probably just pushed out an ending so readers would have closure. I only found this story because it updated. I'm assuming this was a deadfic before. So, respect for finishing it, even if I hated how you did it.

Anyway, that's it. I still enjoyed it and I'm just going to pretend the ending was that Naruto wins and lives a sad, pathetic rest of his life. Shikamaru dies and Sasuke stays a loyal slave under Edo Tensei.
CapnSwashbuckler chapter 43 . 7/3
Pretty dark. Yet, that suits the setting as it ended up being far more than canon does. I like it!
JittottiJ chapter 43 . 7/2
Well... Fuck, I thinks it's one of the best fanfic I've ever read.

Even if you botched up the ending or never completed it, I would still love it for the simple reason of the characterisation and veracity. What I mean by that, is that each time I read a fanfic going on the same themes, most of the times I end up banging my head against the wall for the OOC decisions they make from time to time (by OOC, I mean comparing to the fic characterisation, not the canon one) but yours... No, nothing, I can think nothing against it.

Except, of course, the fact that you killed Gaara without him having a chance for sanity (but then again, the fact that the entire fic seem to revolve around neurotic characters... maybe it was a "sign"! ... I spend to much time in literature classes).

Thought, now that I think about it, the imprisonment and subsequent talk after the chuunin exam (the whole "killing clan heads like they were toddlers") might look a bit like planned, not believable enough (or maybe it is just me that read to many bad fanfics, reminding me of the point when potentially good fic took a turn for the worse...).

But enough rambling! the point is that I appreciated your story, think that you write well enough, in chapters that were not too long nor too short, where each line mattered. So even though there were a few things that didn't sit extremely well with me (by exemple, what Naruto thought of his mother? did he ever Edo Tensei'd her? or other peoples that could talk to him like family, not like a raving monster of death?), I loved your fic, even cried a bit at the end (but I'm a sucker for well written tragedy&angst) and hope that you write something else soon, either as fanfiction or as a professional writer!
Daki92 chapter 43 . 7/2
God damn it all to hell that was actually more depressing than the ending of chapter 42! Holy fuck man, that was just cruel!
demorarion chapter 17 . 7/2
Wow, you really know how to make an interesting story with dark Naruto. It's such a shame that i just barely find it.
Yours can really show to make Naruto stronger and consumed by hate with all logical situations, not make him like some god with inhumanly power just in one night.
But what i love most is the way you expressing Naruto's thought. It's all screamed psycho, and i love psycho Naruto.
otakujijo chapter 43 . 7/2
I always knew this would end with naruto dying.. Though I thought he would kill himself.
Tomon chapter 43 . 7/2
Heh, talk about dark. I sort of hoped that if Naruto was to die he would take Shikimaru with him so there will be really no one worth notice left standing.

Still very interesting story and idea and I'm glad you finished it.
Bertrand Banach-Tarski chapter 43 . 7/1
I just read this all in one shot, and I really enjoyed it. I'm a bit conflicted about the end, but only because I feel it might have been better without the whole three months later. But overall this was a great piece to spend a quiet afternoon reading!
InfernoOfChaos chapter 43 . 7/1
The ending was super disappointing. It felt like you were bored of writing this and just wanted it to be over.
Tamani chapter 43 . 7/1
beautiful. simply beautiful. I stay up until 2 am to finish reading this.
2,918 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »