Reviews for The Paths We Choose
Why can't the bad guy ever have a happy ending damnit.
The final chapter didn't feel quite up to the level of the other ones. I mean, it felt like you were walking a very thin tightrope in your characters. On the one hand, Naruto is a vengeful conqueror whose ambitions led him into more conflict than he really wanted. On the other, Konoha did some pretty despicable and, frankly, stupid things in their quest to kill Naruto. Before the ending, you seemed to paint them both with a similar brush, where Naruto and his enemies were fairly similar in that they both did terrible things and rationalized them away as being "not their fault" and "forced into bad choices."

And let me be clear, I actually liked that characterization.

However in that final chapter, the characterization of Konoha as ruthless and only slightly less evil than Naruto faltered. Ignoring how bullshit the way Naruto was killed is, you never really went into how killing Naruto didn't solve anything. I wouldn't bet for one second that the other surviving villages wouldn't want to destroy the village who could kill the seemingly-unkillable Naruto. You brought up some internal strife, but confined it exclusively to the Hyuuga clan. All in all, it read like Konoha managed to kill Naruto and now they're on their way to reclaiming their greatness in a war-torn world, which is a jarring disconnect from the rest of the story.

I feel that at the end, you realized that you didn't really have a "good" side and decided to make Konoha a lot nicer than it was portrayed previously. It felt... hollow. And unsatisfying as hell. I realize that this is a tragedy and they're not meant to have happy endings, but you can have an unhappy ending that still manages to fill in holes, tie loose ends, and generally make the story feel complete. This chapter doesn't.
Hyena-Sennin chapter 43 . 7/1
This ending is not that bad, but much too rushed.
Gur40goku chapter 43 . 7/1
I liked the begin explaining the how to now and Hinata wish for children. The ending was hollow but expected i got a code geass let you win feel from it yet also makes me wish you ended on the Naruto's hollow victory not Shikamaru's must the worlds still fucked so karma. Overall 8.5/10
Shinsou Tengen Wabisuke chapter 43 . 6/30
Whew, and it only got worse. Not a bad ending though.
Sebine chapter 43 . 6/30
Damn.

That's some powerful shit.
miguce chapter 43 . 6/30
wow.. like the ending..
Vire chapter 43 . 6/30
This is a wonderful fic, but the ending is pretty hollow and... honestly, I find myself wishing you just hadn't finished it at all. As it is I think I'm just going to pretend you didn't, because there's no satisfaction to be found here on any side. I was going to say it was bitter-sweet, but really it was just bitter. The way Sasuke killed him was like the mother of all dues-ex-machinas as well - and it really revives something I always hated about the Naruto series; the Sharingans endless array of bullshit-no-jutsu that come out of nowhere to solve seemingly unsolvable issues...
Mizuno Tenshi2 chapter 43 . 6/30
That's a hell of a finish. And Naruto probably expected that, too. Really good job writing this one, thank you.
Graven chapter 1 . 6/30
The ending was a cop out. Naruto had won, and his victory tasted of ashes. As it should be and that's what it should have been left as. Having the villain win, achieve his desire and be utterly miserable with it is poetic justice. That final kill turned the whole thing into the cliche of the "good", or at least less evil guys always winning. It reduced the tragedy of the whole thing.
Amortal chapter 43 . 6/30
That was a great ending, loved it! Nothing like death to make things final. Be it Naruto's death or the Leaf villages coming death, it's all good in the end.
Screw shikamaru
cybercorpsesnake chapter 43 . 6/30
Nice ending. Keep up the good work.
VegetaPrinceofDarkness chapter 43 . 6/30
A fittingly dark end to a dark story. I must mention though, that with Naruto dead, Hinata and Sasuke would be stuck in their edo tensei bodies forever, as edo tensei don't rely on the caster to stay in the impure world. The only option available to those two, would be to get sealed away.
Anne Camp aka Obi-quiet chapter 43 . 6/30
talk about a Pheric victory (ah, I'm pretty sure I didn't spell it right), how terribly sad. Well written, but very sad.
2,932 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »