Reviews for Downsizing for Beginners
Hiita-chan chapter 5 . 1/29
I love this story a lot! It's such an interesting idea, though I have to admit the Kaiba x Shadi part had me skeptical in the beginning but in the end it worked pretty well. I think you got both Kaiba and Yami's personalities spot on; that's something I struggle with. The dialogue between them was absolutely great!

"And I feel tall."

Love that part. xD

Thank you for the wonderful story. ;3
Serena Jones chapter 5 . 3/21/2013
Awesome story. The text is well paced and believable, but the mental picture of Yami shorter than a Barbie doll had me giggling. Thanks for sharing! SJ
ilovemanicures chapter 5 . 12/21/2011
Oh my goodness, this was such an adorable story!

I have no idea why I passed it on your list of writtings but I am so glad I went back up!

The idea of a doll sized Yami— Who still has that deep voice, is just the funniest thing I've ever heard xD

I love the over extravagant dollhouse, the custom made shirts and the witty banter.

This was just an all around great short-story and I thank you for sharing it!
ZeroGravityInq chapter 5 . 2/8/2011
whoa kay...that was weird. refreshing but weird. but hey, it had prideshipping! yatta!
ZeroGravityInq chapter 2 . 2/8/2011

so this is where the humour comes in. but i still don't get why he is a doll. i feel like i missed something. maybe i'm just stupid. all i got was mokuba [or yami] challenged shadi to a game over seto and...well then i got distracted by the yami doll. *shakes head*

oh well, i'll just read it over no matter how disturbed i am over a seto/shado pairing no matter how implied.
X-parrot chapter 5 . 6/7/2010
"Is that a Yami in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

Somehow I've wandered back into YGO/Kaiba-fanning, one of the big bonuses of this being that I have so much new fic by you to read! This one is cracktastic (well, being doujinshi-inspired, I'm not entirely surprised, but still...)

Hee to Kaiba's initial reaction to mini!Yami, wanting to take him apart to see how he ticks (mad-scientist-Kaiba is a favorite flavor, of course). And as always, love your Mokuba - clever and practical and loyal as ever. His running internal commentary on the whole situation was terribly funny, and of course it's great how well he understands his brother. (Assessing breakable objects in the room, heee.)(And then Kaiba proves his point by smashing everything in his office, and yeah, so curious if he's got it sound-proofed, or his staff is just used to it! Oh, Kaiba-kun...)

And all of Yami's friends (Kaiba included!) coming together to help him at the end was very aww-inspring. Though I admit, I kind of feel sorry for Shadi...I've always had an odd fondness for him - guardian of the Sennen Items can't be easy, especially with everyone he ever cared about long since gone, and their reincarnations moving on...

Okay, off to read your other fic now! Or else to go to bed. Hmm, decisions, decisions...
adele4 chapter 5 . 12/18/2009
I'm sorry for being so very late in reviewing this. I really, really loved the nature of the challenge, and the way you wrote about Yami facing it! As usual, your writing is beautiful and -precise-. I love what they look like as statues, each of them. Especially Yuugi!

A few favourite lines:

"Jounouchi could have been jealous of him so easily, or have hated him as an interloper in Yugi’s life. Instead, they’d become friends."; "Kaiba was almost drunk on trust, as if it was a heady, intoxicating thing." (love this, it feels so *strong*); "Kaiba straightened himself like a cat leaping from a lap, suddenly conscious of his ruffled dignity." (heh).

I also love Kaiba's reaction to Yami finally being back to normal.

I ended up feeling sorry for Shadi too, when he said everyone who would have been his foundation was dead.

I love Yami and Kaiba's banter! And I love the whole "Yami's lips twitched."-paragraph.

The ending was beautiful, hot and romantic and so very -them-.
sophonica chapter 5 . 12/17/2009
Hello! This is the third time I've tried to post this; it keeps being deleted for some reason.

I am so sorry this is so abominably late, I have had a manic few months - some days I barely get a look at my computer - phew!

It always seems appropriate to try and say something in summation when I get to the end of a story, but I'm not very good at that sort of thing (some people were born to paraphrase - I strongly suspect I was born to meander); I suppose I just want to say I think you've done a fabulous job with this (comic) short story form. In other words, you manage to fit complex exploration of character (and you've got a knack for giving all your characters a certain element of complexity, even those who are rarely in the spotlight - like Anzu in this story, for example) into very little space without being heavy-handed about it. And you're funny, which is possibly the most admirable achievement of all!

I think the only thing I would have liked to see a little more of this time round is descriptive prose; your dialogue is brilliant, but I remember some fantastic imagery from the Book of the Dead that really made my inner wordsmith happy - next time more please :D

Anyway I hope you're doing all right; drop me an email if you have a minute!

(Oh! And Merry Christmas!)
luminousSpark chapter 5 . 11/16/2009
To be honest, I don't know why you put 'Humor' as a category for this fanfic. Maybe it's because of Yami turning into a miniature size? Well it is adorable to see Yami in such a small scale.

Anyhow, I love this story. Your story must be the one of the few out there who has a lot of long and almost unending clash of dialogues between Seto and Yami. It's very interesting on how you try to explore different sides of their thinking and emotions. I especially like the last chapter. It has a rather good chapter name too. A pun, perhaps?

I'm looking forward to your next story.

Splintered Star chapter 5 . 11/13/2009
Okay! Sorry for taking so long, of course, but I have been NaNoing so. (and I’m on track!) I fear this one will not be nearly as detailed as normal…but I’m brain deep in my story.

First thing that jumps out at me is that the description of the statues right there at the beginning is a bit much. Too long, too early. Most people, I expect, remember what the statues look like, at least vaguely. I tend to dislike block descriptions, myself.

Was Shaadi expecting the others to show up? It’s the sort of thing he would do, really. He’s also rather condescending of the guy he’s boning. It’s a big strange of how accepting Shaadi is of Mokuba and Kaiba’s love for Mokuba. Mokuba is one of the clearest signs that things have changed – that this is Kaiba, not Seth. Without Mokuba there is no Seto Kaiba. But without Mokuba, everything collapses and there is nothing left – did Shaadi realize that that step, if nothing else, would be too far?

I like everyone’s reasons for jumping into the game! (Hurrah for Anzu!)

Bondage!Kaiba has, of course, already been commented on.

“If there was anything he’d learned from Kaiba…” Indeed. Kaiba’s a good example of that part. (And Kaiba landing in his arms AWW.)

“Even you guys can’t be this sappy…” Goodness Mokuba is adorable. Especially when he’s trying not to be.

I thought you didn’t normally end stories on a kiss? *wink* Still, I think that’s a good place to end it. Fluffy, but fitting.

Quite fun and bundles of fluff, and I am looking forward to the VR fic. (any luck on the title yet?)

halowing chapter 5 . 11/8/2009
Great as usual! You know I never thought how often Kaiba is restrained in the story arcs. I guess his persona is too big for his own good.

Looking forward to your next story. Sounds interesting! How about " The Devil is in the Details" as a title?
Darleneartist chapter 5 . 10/27/2009
Ni Nenya,

I am sad that this one is at an end but I also enjoyed it alot. I am happy that you will be starting a new one as well.

I hope that all goes well.

bnomiko chapter 5 . 10/26/2009
Ah, sorry, slow...

I know you had your doubts about the ending but I think it's a perfect fit with what we've come to expect from Yu-Gi-Oh! - friendship and trust for the win! It doesn't have to be fancy or complicated to be satisfying : )

I know I said this earlier via email, but since it's such an important thing, I wanted it to be part of my review as well : ) - love the whole trust aspect of this story, because Kaiba was the one who kept faith in Yami even after Yami betrayed his trust when of course, Kaiba's probably the least trusting guy in the series, especially at the beginning. But having him believe in Yami really does show he's ready to move on to something new (like a relationship) because now he has the foundation he'd need for that.

And although Anzu was a sort of late arrival / super minor character in this story, I like her role in this, being both a good friend as well as... well, a normal young lady with an unrequited crush. But she's enough of a realist that she knows (unlike Shadi) that you can't change someone you like and still claim to want them for who they are. So that was just an interesting bit of contrast.
barrie18 chapter 5 . 10/24/2009
Oh take a bow Nen, this might have been short story in comparison to your other epics, but the thought and ideas behind it were just as powerful even in the space of 5 chapters.

So I guess the moral of the story is no matter if you get to big for your britches, there is always something/someone around to cut you down to size. . . :)

It's interesting that it was Anzu's Ushebti statue that was the one that troubled Yami most. It must be hard to admit that you can't give a friend what they want, can't really discuss it with them, and can't really dismiss it either. . . And even though Yami is a big one to also talk about trust and unity, it is Anzu who really believes in the power of friendship and unity, who is able to accept what is and not push Yami beyond what he is willing to give. It's one of the few times one really gets some insite in a character that is really destroyed in the dubbed anime.

As to Shadi, he is a hypocrate. . . How can he turn around and say he is sorry he never go to know the man his friend became. Did he try knowing him in the first place? All he did was try and change Kaiba to suit his own agenda. . . No I agree with Mokuba on this one. He had a chance, he blew it for his own selfish needs, I wouldn't be feeling sorry for him either.

Of course the ending really isn't an ending is it, because you know that some where in that world where stories are real, Kaiba and Yami are forging new links and new adventures are around the corner.

Well done. . .Take a bow. . .and looking forward to the next tale happily.

mochiusagi chapter 5 . 10/24/2009
aw that was such a sweet ending!