Reviews for Pink Elephants, Cheshire Cats and Staplers
Katie chapter 1 . 5/20/2009
In the words of Captain Awesome... Well, you get the idea! Great story, made of win!
Robert Modean chapter 1 . 5/19/2009
Wonderfully done blc, truly wonderfully done.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown, isn't that the saying? Chuck wears the Intersect like a crown, and his head is heavy indeed. The concept of the Intersect causing neurological damage to Chuck has been done before, but I think the manner in which you present it is quite original and, in some respects, the most realistic for something as fantastic as the Intersect. Since it is composed primarily of huge amounts of data it's most likely that it would overwrite sections of Chuck's brain handling his memory. That he's randomly lost his own memories in the process makes his job as the intersect just that more poignant.

I also greatly enjoyed your characterization of Casey, showing concern yet not knowing exactly what to do except listen. It's interesting how in the presence of others Casey gives the impression that he's openly hostile to Chuck but in fact he's not, his hostility is simply part of his professional detachment. I like the way you bring that across here. Casey's been in the business too long to allow his fondness for Chuck to get in the way of his job protecting him, and he fails to realize that his detachment and gruff demeanor are being interpreted as actual enmity. He knows Chuck possibly considers him to be something of a friend, he assumes Chuck knows how much he's appreciated and valued, but it's clear that Casey's surprised when he finds out just how distraught Chuck really is. This isn't his territory, taking care of Chuck on an emotional level is something he'd leave to Sarah, except Sarah actually isn't that good at it since he doesn't feel as if she's really there for him, but for the job. The way you bring that across feels so right within the confines of the show, authentic.

The scene toward the end, Chuck eating the pizza with extra olives, symbolic of his resentment of Sarah's presence and the conflicting emotions she brings him, and then enjoying that Pizza while passing a quiet and entertaining evening with Casey, was a gem. Casey may not be the 'emotional' anchor that Chuck needs, but he can, in his own way, be supportive.

I really enjoyed this blc, and I'd love to see a second chapter dealing with Sarah, Devon, Ellie and them coming back and seeing to what degree, if any, Chuck reverts back to form around them. Does he go back to being 'always happy, always helpful' Chuck? Or does he snap and unload on some of them, or all of them? Does Casey let it go or does he pull Sarah aside and read her the riot act? There are a number of possibilities here to explore.

Great job.
Fire From Above chapter 1 . 5/19/2009
I really liked that. It's interesting to explore some of the things that the Intersect could be doing to Chuck. Also nice to see a different side of Casey.
jagged1 chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
Very nice look into the relationship between asset and handler that we usually don't see here. Chuck's drunken ramblings had bits and pieces of brilliance, and Casey had a real human aspect. Well done.
AlphaTerra chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
Wow, I really want to thank you for writing this. After being pretty much bombarded with Chuck/Casey romance or M-slash, it's nice to see someone writing Chuck just simply bonding with his Handler. I think deep down you captured that side of Casey that we know we will see on the show...one day :)

Good job!
c1650 chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
Cool story! Would be really interested to read a next chapter.
offtackle46 chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
You nailed it!

I was at work when I read your story, and I was laughing so hard people thought I had gone insane.

Thank you for the comedy break.
fAteD lOvE chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
HAHA nice one! I like this other nice side of Casey :)
Ayalim chapter 1 . 5/17/2009
Oh, wow, that last line was PERFECT. Absolutely perfect.

While I was reading this, I kept having this odd imagination-thinga-ma-whatsit where, as I was reading it, I was feeling like what if the plot of the story was actually that Ellie was accidentally listening in on the conversation between Chuck and Casey. What would she think?

I found myself actually unsurprised that Casey has seen Star Wars. I mean, he's an American male, right? There's no reason he wouldn't have seen it as a teenager. And fighter-protect-my-country Casey would have loved Luke's "moral quest" to save the universe using shiny weapons. I can totally picture that.

Oh, and I Iove the level of detail and original, creative lines in this one. Like the CT scan showing up with a "Classified" stamp? Priceless.
fwuzzfwuzz chapter 1 . 5/17/2009
Wonderful story! I really can't decide which part I liked more. I always enjoy a bit of angst. I'm always looking for it with Chuck. Chuck is such a good character and a lot of Fanfic writers don't do him justice. They tend to blow up his babbling/nice guy/slightly nervous personality without giving him depth.

I really enjoyed your narrative! It was engaging, smart, and entertaining. The side effects to the intersect was interesting and logical. (thank God! You wouldn't believe some of the crap illnesses I've read)I love all the little metaphors and references littered accross your story. Makes me smile and appreciate your well-informed-ness!

I thoroughly enjoyed your Casey! You kept true to his character but allowed some heart. We all know that Casey has got a soft spot for Chuck. He's my favorite character. Adam plays him so well.

Thanks for a fantastic read!

Kristine
Joe chapter 1 . 5/17/2009
I think this is my faverot new one shot you should do one with chuck and sarah like this
Course Jester chapter 1 . 5/17/2009
Let me start by saying that like most people around these parts, I read a good bit of Chuck fanfic. In the course of my meanderings through the pages upon pages of Chuck stories on FF, I've read the very good, the very bad, and everything in between. I've found that no matter the quality of the writing, there's a good bit of thematic sameness to many of the stories, which I suppose is not surprising since most Chuck fans tend to like the same things about the show. That being said, it's reasonable that the stories with truly original ideas stand out in my mind.

This story fits that bill. I can't definitively say that the concept of the Intersect causing physical complications for Chuck is completely original, but I can't easily recall anything similar, and the comparison of the Intersectual buzzing in Chuck's brain to high-tension power lines was believable and well done. It was just a bit of a leap to imagine Chuck boozing it up like this, but the leap was easily made because everything that came after it was in character (the musings on Bryce and Sarah, his refusal to believe in a "nice" Casey). You did a nice job of altering your normally fluid writing style to reflect Chuck's drunken and disjointed mental state, and I think you took his binge just far enough - it's more self-pitying than self-loathing, which I think suits Chuck much better.

It was also nice to see Casey being honest with Chuck (and himself), even if he did realize that Chuck wouldn't remember much of their conversation the next day. How about a follow up in which Casey tells Sarah about all of this? How would she deal with finding out that Chuck has been suffering physically as well as mentally and emotionally? That discovery, coupled with the thought of Chuck drinking cheap gin all alone, would devastate Sarah and make her do some serious soul searching. Could be a good story!

Thanks for writing this. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm also looking forward to the next installment of "Casey vs. the Future".

No pressure, though.
Norwegian Blue chapter 1 . 5/17/2009
This is an amazingly in character piece (especially taking into account Casey's actions in the season finale) and I love how you worked in some character development without making Chuck that suspicious the next day. It really drew me in, and I found myself checking the scroll down bar to see how much of the story was left, because I didn't want it to end. Really great job. And I love the River Tam reference. :)
tfix chapter 1 . 5/17/2009
That... was awesome. The idea of Chuck keeping all of this stuff bottled up inside without telling anyone but his invisible Pink Casey is really interesting. And I really liked how it changed Casey's perspective on Chuck in general, or at least added to it (hard to tell what he thought beforehand, because we was mostly listening ;-)).

I really like concerned!Casey, ranting!Chuck and the drunken babbling. I also think this could turn into an interesting larger story, if you wanted to deal with the buzzing issue. You write the Chuck/Casey interactions so wonderfully, it's hard not to want to see more of it. Especially now that Casey has an idea of what's going on inside Chuck's head (well, except in a physical/medical sense).
Liv-the-WaddleDee chapter 1 . 5/17/2009
I liked this story a lot. We need more Chuck/Casey bonding here on FanFiction.
49 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »