Reviews for Shifting Balance
NoilyPrat chapter 1 . 12/14/2014
OK, I really like this one. Filling in the gaps in the show - Sam getting Dean to go get Pamela, so he'd talk with her, excellent choice! Wonderful the way Sam got Anna to go talk with Dean, and the comfort she could provide. Love her line about, "not as a replacement for you." Also the third section, when "Sam bit his lip bloody holding back the support he wanted to give." "He gave it another five, four, three, two-" Sam SO knows his brother, and what Dean needs. Totally love it, with the fixing of the car, and the talk of forgiving.
Also love how it ends - "You did a good job with the car, Sammy." and the "You're welcome." :D
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 4/15/2013
I like how all of these scenes fit together. They all balanced nicely to tell the story going on in and between these episodes, how Sam and Dean were dealing (or not) with everything that had happened during those four months.
Whilom chapter 1 . 12/1/2009
**Sam had no deal of his own to point to as proof of his love, so he offered every darkest hour and blackest fear instead.**

Loved this.

And I loved clever!Sam arranging a heart-to-heart for Dean with Pamela. It's amazing how you write the different characters' voices so well. I mean, you've always wowed me with how you write Sam and Dean-it's what drew me to your stories in the first place-but picking up Pamela (and Bobby and the other side-characters the boys run into) just like that defies words.
carocali chapter 1 . 6/2/2009
“So you think he’s been messing with fire and got himself a little singed?” Pamela asked at the end.

Dean huffed. “I think he’s leaving sulfur fingerprints on everything he touches, and Heaven and Hell both want him to clean up.”

She nodded and was silent a moment. “Boy’s already tainted—ain’t no question about that. But he’s trying to do the right thing. Question is, do you trust Sam to know what that is?”

Really like that exchange, and the one with Sam and Anna. It's funny how they boys can be so 'high school' about their emotions, but I guess we have to cut them SOME slack for all the crap they've been through.

Thanks for filling in some of these gaps!

:D
amyblair chapter 1 . 6/1/2009
I really like the tidbit about Dean feeling almost like he'd been replaced by Ruby. I have kind of felt like that was what he was thinking, too.

Love the 'Madea' line. True, true. And I like that Sam didn't answer the question about if it was just the one time or not.

Pamela Barnes was the character Victoria Principal played in the hit show 'Dallas'. Of course, she then became a Ewing when she married Bobby... oh, never mind.

Liked the 'Pamela had been glad to "see" them again'

LOVE, LOVE the "maybe you'll save each other" THAT'S what I'm talking about!
authoressnebula chapter 1 . 6/1/2009
"Dean swallowed. “So, you think I can save him?” he asked quietly.

Pamela laughed, as gentle as he’d ever heard her. “Maybe you’ll save each other.”"

Beautiful. Absolutely, perfectly them. *wraps her arms around the boys* THIS, right there, is what I know will happen in the next season. They're still brothers. That's never going to change. And you laid that out perfectly, captured it, and THIS, right here, is what happened when the camera switched to commercials. I accept all of your fic as canon, in case you didn't know. _

And I've finally gotten a chance to catch up on fiction (redoing one's house and cleaning it all isn't as easy nor as fun as one might think...) and sweetie, you're gonna have me anxiously waiting for the weekend again! (And hey, Saturday's much closer than Sunday! _)

~Nebula
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 5/23/2009
Awesome. Late here so not too coherent but you got the boys spot on. And perfect - When the drain was done, Sam circled back to the side of the car and silently began passing tools as needed, like a nurse assisting with surgery.

Loved the comparison there at the end of the sentence as Sam was trying to fix things, and just loved the brotherly moment it preceded. Hope that makes sense as I'm not totally sure I'm getting across what I want to say!

Anyway, just loved the fic.
Marlowe97 chapter 1 . 5/23/2009
Hi there

I liked your addition for two of the three best episodes in season four a lot. (first bestest (I know, it's not a word...) is "Lazarus rising" ;) )

I just stumbled over something:

"Not surprisingly, it was Dean who came up with the plan, or at least as much as they had of one." -

I might have been deaf, but I always figured it was SAM's plan, with the Mothra/Godzilla thing?

Yeah, doesn't matter, you filled the missing links just beautifully, as always.
bhoney chapter 1 . 5/22/2009
I really liked this: "Dean easing Sam’s hurt at a cost to himself yet again, just as he’d done throughout their lives. Sam really wanted to return the favor for once."

“Medea? Like, from Euripides?” How sadly geeky that this was my first thought, too. LOL

I really loved how you so succinctly put the difference between the two sides: "But I can tell you this—Hell’s all about actions and results. You sold your soul? You’re theirs, doesn’t matter why. But Heaven? For all my beef with their ‘angelic’ side, Heaven’s all about intent. If you’re trying to do the right thing for the right reasons, even if it doesn’t work, you still get credit. Might not be the apple pie-ending you were looking for, but it is happily ever-hereafter. And Sam’s got a good heart under those chiseled abs. Might be Hell to pay first, but yeah, I think you two’ll still be standing at the end.” I really hope that's true, that they're both still standing at the end.

“But as a friend, Sam, not as a replacement for you.” This made me like Anna more than I normally do.

Loved how you portrayed Sam's reaction to Dean's revelation about his time in Hell. I especially loved this: "I know you did this for me. And no matter what happened down there, it’s not gonna change what I think of you.” And Sam working on the car to take Dean's mind off things was really inspired.

Nice job!
Liafrombrazil chapter 1 . 5/21/2009
I really enjoyed your take on the episodes; as always you did an amazing job with the brothers' dialogues (they realy, realy sound like them) and their thoughts. You know how much I love your tags and missing scenes. I think you've captured Dean's suffering admirably, along with that strong side of him which was a lot shaken up there. And you described nicely Sam's intentions, along with that not so strong side of him which was shaken up as well.

You better continue posting through the summer! Your fic's addictive.

"Sam trusting the demon bitch like she was some kind of amigo." I liked 'amigo' here.
marinawings chapter 1 . 5/19/2009
awesome story here! i love how it explores different aspects of the changes wrought in the winchester's lives by dean's absence/trip to hell. you write their dialogue very well, very winchester. good work!
Madebyme chapter 1 . 5/19/2009
For me, this was a wonderful series of tags and fill-ins for eps 4.09 and 4.10. They really captured many of the themes that are running through this series (or for you have run through the series - in the UK we're only on 4.18!)

I can always rely on you to give me an accurate representation of missing scenes from the show that I want to see. The scene after the window jump with the boys in the car was the perfect example - right down the little bits of banter here and there! You constantly write the boys (and other characters too such as Anna nd Pamela) in character with dialogue that sounds so like them that I have to remind myself that it's not a quote!

Also, you manage to stay loyal to both boys - avoiding taking sides and putting one in the right and one in the wrong and that always make for a great read in my eyes.

So thank you for sharing and I look forward to reading more of these Sunday posts - they really put a smile on face! Take care, Madebyme.x
PADavis chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
This was just charming - loved the series of tags. Particularly loved this:

'Maybe Sam didn’t have a lot of experience taking care of Dean, but he did in humoring him.'

Hope you liked the finale as much as I did. Feels like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders - and I loved this season. Just liked the finale mostest.

Phoebe
sayrae3times chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
Oh, how I love you! Sunday posts - what a wonderful gift for us for the summer! Excellent fic, my friend. I think what stood out to me most in this one was the "side" characters - namely Pamela and Anna. I liked your portrayal of both - Anna "gliding" and Pamela "twinkling". It all flows just right. But this was my favorite part - "Sam had no deal of his own to point to as proof of his love, so he offered every darkest hour and blackest fear instead." Incredible thought!
Landwing chapter 1 . 5/17/2009
Dean is a simply amazing big brother. He gives and sacrifices everything for Sam, and he just doesn't stop. At the same time, though, he's sometimes a little blind. He doesn't seem to see the effect all his giving and sacrificing has on Sam, especially since Sam often knows or guesses the cost to Dean. It feels like all during this year Sam's been trying to do all the giving and sacrificing because he knows-or at least has a pretty good hunch-what it has cost Dean. Sam doesn't want Dean to have to give or sacrifice anything more, but Dean still wants to spare Sam any pain or anguish. And neither one really understands what the other is trying to do. They say they do, but, well...

You know good characters and stories have been created when readers/viewers want to pound some sense into the characters at the same time as wanting to hug them. You've done a great job with Kripke's characters so far, and I'm really looking forward to whatever you manage to post during the summer.