Reviews for Octal
Sorkin's Gal Friday chapter 1 . 5/23/2010
What a great explanation of that obscure line from the show. What I loved most about this story is how you really captured the essense of the show. I've always liked the random bits of trivia the writers threw into the scripts, and you've taken it to a whole other level. If the show ever had an eighth season, I could see this being an actual episode. This was well-written and well-researched. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Antskog chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
This was very good. It could've been straight from a west wing episode. My little Finnish heart also loved the fact that Josh knew the polling data.
thelandofthenutty chapter 1 . 8/15/2009
I adored this, you have their voices and characters down pat, I could see it as I read it, it was more like a real episode of west wing than any other ff I've read, and the flashback worked well.

Most people concerntrate on the Cocktail Waitress part of that quote. Quirky story.

Loved it.
alix33 chapter 1 . 8/12/2009
“Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum here have lost the key to the stationary cupboard.” Lou cut in, her patience rapidly expiring. Bram and Otto looked at the floor, sheepishly, as Donna and Sam tried to avoid eye contact with each other and hide their grins. “Well, I'm glad to see our time is being well spent today.” President Santos muttered. “Mr. President, if I may.” Sam felt obligated to try to explain, “While governing a country requires leadership skills, the vision to devise and implement plans, like your education plan, for example, not to mention a sound understanding of foreign policy, the day-to-day running of said country requires paper. Lots of paper. And pens. And post-its.” Santos looked over at Josh, searching for confirmation. Josh nodded. “Okay. So what, in my capacity as President, am I expected to do about this? Alert the FBI? Have them open a missing key case file?” - LOL, that was SO funny, except it should be "stationery cupboard", unless you really meant to infer that the cupboard in question was in fact standing still.

“Actually, Mr. President, the coastguard may be able to help. They have these search and rescue teams. Although the FBI is a good suggestion.” Sam couldn't help joking, ignoring the impatient looks he was getting from Lou and the President." - LOL

“Well, surely there is some kind of strict procedure when something like this happens?” Santos asked sarcastically, failing to see the funny side of the situation. “Absolutely, Mr. President.” Josh said, getting in on the act before Sam could. “There is?” The President replied, his disbelief evident, “What is it?” Everyone looked expectantly at Josh. “Everybody stand up and check they're not sitting on it.” Josh dead-panned causing Sam to laugh." - LOL

“Mrs. Landingham?” President Bartlet looked up as his secretary entered the room from one direction and Leo entered, carrying something, from another. “There's no need to shout, Mr. President. It's very unbecoming in a president.” Mrs. Landingham reached the desk before Leo did, distracted as he was by his reading. “She's right, you know.” Leo confirmed, handing the paperwork to the President. “Thank you Mr. McGarry. Although you might try sounding more sincere when you say that.” She chided, gently." - AW, I LOVE fics with Mrs. Landingham in them, even if it is only in flashbacks! I miss the whole gang, but I think I miss her and Abbey the most.

“Impressive, considering you've been lock in your office all afternoon.” - '“Impressive, considering you've been locked in your office all afternoon.”

"I'm going to be so unpopular.” “What makes you think you're popular now?” CJ asked with a grin." - LOL

"Sam broke open the fortune cookie in his hand but did not remove the slip of paper. “You know, in China the number eight is considered lucky.” He said as he stared at the cookie in his hand. The other occupants of the room looked up from their sheets of paper and stared at him. He shrugged. Several people chuckled as they returned to their conversions. “This must be the luckiest room in America, then.” CJ said as she ticked the last number in the column." - LOL

"not taking in it's message." - 'its message'.

“It's part of the Fabonacci sequence.” He announced, suddenly. He received several blank stares so he elaborated, continuing to share the thoughts he'd had throughout the evening, “The number eight. It comes after five and before thirteen in the Fabonacci sequence.” “That's fascinating, Sam.” Toby said. “It's also the atomic number of oxygen. There are eight squares to the side of a chess board. Eight furlongs in a mile. The I-8 runs from San Diego to Casa Grande, Arizona.” Sam stood and walked around the room a little way. His random facts and movement seemed to indicate a chance for a break for most of the people in the room as they put down their pens and lent back in their chairs, stretching as they did so. “You really are quite a freak, you know that don't you?” Toby remarked causing more laughter and Sam to nod in agreement." - LOVE the Toby/Sam interaction there.

“A MacDonald's straw holds approximately 8 ml.” She announced. “Really?” Sam was impressed." - LOL

"As he left he heard Ed announce, “A group of baboons is called a congress.” The remaining occupants of the room started laughing and could be heard out in the corridor." - That is VERY funny, considering where everybody is right now.

“It's weird the things that stick in you head.” - '“It's weird the things that stick in your head.”

"I'd work harder.” Donna declared, “Josh? Can I have $10 to spend as I want?” “No, we haven't budgeted for it.” Josh countered. “We still can. We have the data here. Can't we work it in somewhere? No-one would notice.” Donna pressed her case to the amusement of the others." - LOL

“Hard work is it's own reward.” - '“Hard work is its own reward.”

“Actually, Mr. President, I have a souvenir from that night as well.” Sam informed his leader. “Really? It's not a page of the budget, is it?” Josh joked, “We were missing a page.” “No, I kept the fortune from the cookie I had that night. The message seemed fitting.” While Sam had been speaking he had also been rummaging in his wallet. He handed the small strip of paper to the President. “'Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance'” The President read. The occupants of the Oval Office sat silently as they contemplated the wisdom of the fortune cookie. “Well, they certainly were that night.” Josh confirmed." - Wow, that IS profound, for a fortune cookie at least...
MightyTemperance chapter 1 . 8/3/2009
This was awesome! Their dialogue was amazing, it sounded so legitimate! This definitely could've been in the show, it seemed very Sorkin-esque. And I don't think you could beat that!

kudos
boldchoices chapter 1 . 5/19/2009
Loved this story. I couldn't have imagined a better way to work how base eight could have been used by Donna. I hope there is another story or two in you to explain the east german cocktail waitress outfit.

I loved the banter and inside joke concept with Josh, Sam and Donna.
adpacaus chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
When I first saw the title, I was thinking, 'It really can't be about base-8, can it?' And it was! Hee! Who would of thought that Octal and TWW could go together. I love the way to write the dialog/banter. I'm also sucker for all the trivia.:-) I look forward to your next story.
Jayne Leigh chapter 1 . 5/17/2009
Absolutly loved this story! They were all so in character! I can so see Josh wondering around the West Wing, Office-less. The banter in the Roosevelt Room was perfect! Loved it!

Also, made my day to see one of my story inspired you to write this! I must write more if it means other people will write more! I love Santos Admin stories...There's not enough!

Read more soon!