Reviews for An Outsider Looking Back
OrionTheHunter chapter 6 . 8/29/2009
Still enjoying this, thanks for the update.
Belphegor chapter 6 . 8/29/2009
You didn't cause any upset as far as I'm concerned, and it's always a pleasure to see an AuthorAlert from you in my mailbox :o)

First the annoying nitpicks, to get rid of them - it's established in the comics that Wally Weaver was already dying from cancer in 1971 (at age 34!), and Dr. Manhattan attended his funeral. So it couldn't quite fit the timeline of this story, which if I'm right happens *after* the 1977 Keene Act. And Mr Osterman's first name is spelled "Jonathan" in the comics, with an "a". But that's it.

The tone was indeed a little bit solemn, but it's hard not to be when writing about a 34-old man dying from cancer and insisting on not blaming his friend when everyone does. Especially since he's referred to as "Doctor Manhattan's buddy" and it seems to be a nod to Jimmy Olsen's nickname of "Superman's pal" - I happen to like what I've seen (I haven't read many Superman comics, but I loved "Justice League" and "Lois and Clark") of Jimmy a lot, and the thought of someone like him lying on his death bed from cancer in his 30s is an uncomfortable one.

I really, really look forward to your Ozymandias chapter. Especially since he revealed his secret identity *before* the Keene Act. I don't know why, but I have the feeling that you might link his chapter to the giant squid - or maybe it's wishful thinking, as I have no idea how a civilian might gain access to a truth only four persons alive know. Maybe they did publish Rorschach's diary after all, who knows? :o)

Enough of my rambling; in short, great chapter, great story in general, and I'm looking forward to more.

Salut!

Belphegor :o]
Twirl chapter 5 . 6/11/2009
You know, it always did bother me that the psychiatrist would show RORSCHACH some RORSCHACH cards. I mean, seriously. How could you have possibly thought that would end well?

I liked this chapter, how Rorschach didn't actually reveal his identity to the Doctor, it just came out in his arrest. Very in-character. I will admit, I was a little nervous about this chapter, but you handled it very well. Can't wait for more.
Belphegor chapter 5 . 6/10/2009
This is shaping up nicely to be another favourite, and I can't understand such a small number of reviews. I love this instalment like I loved the others, and I think what I admire the most (beside the subtle and decidedly enjoyable "fly on the wall" feel) is how you give the doctor no name, virtually no gender but you let us figure out his/her (in my mind it's a "he", because I could never see Rorschach trusting a woman anywhere near him) personality. And you give him/her a background, average family issues and day-to-day work-related drama. Now, some people often mistake "average" and "day-to-day" for "boring" and uninteresting", but obviously you know that's really not the case - especially when colliding with the abnormal and extraordinary. A big bunch of thanks for that.

Try as I may (okay, I admit I didn't try *that* hard, I want to have the surprise) I couldn't figure out your solution for Doc Manhattan. Or Ozymandias, for that matter. But something tells me it's fitting saving him for the last.

Keep on the good writing!

Love,

Belphegor :o]
OrionTheHunter chapter 5 . 6/9/2009
Despite really enjoying Watchmen, I never got into the fan fiction. Other than this fic (and the first of the pair).

Keep up the great work.
Twirl chapter 4 . 5/28/2009
I really liked the Dan chapter, light-hearted suits his nature. And, while I thought you wrote Rorschach very well in the last story, a shorter chapter for him actually makes sense in the context of this story. Good work so far, looking forwards to more.
OrionTheHunter chapter 3 . 5/23/2009
Wow, I'm glad I found this . . . haven't had much to do with Watchmen fan fiction since reading the fic that this is a sequel to . . . but I did add that to my favorites. Which led me to find this.

Anyway, this is still a good story. Thanks for writing it.
Demkat chapter 3 . 5/22/2009
Hey, nice to see you continued! I particularly enjoyed the chapter on the Comedian. :) I have to say that I’m also getting rather curious about the gender of the Doctor. All throughout your first story I was pretty confident Doc was a man, because it fitted quite well. It’s a rare educated woman in the 1900s that would be silly enough to walk the streets alone at night, or enter a subway system by herself. And not matter how professional the Doctor was, I wouldn’t expect Rorschach of letting a strange woman touch him. I still think it’s likely Doc is a man, however in this story, I noticed that Doc ‘giggled’ and ‘hopped up’ in the Comedian chapter, which tends to imply female. Unless Doc is a short man-Doc that giggles sometimes I suppose; anything’s possible. :) Looking forward to finding out and reading more!
Twirl chapter 2 . 5/20/2009
I really like this chapter, because you open the Comedian up a little, showing the vulnerability he felt towards the end of his life without compromising the character. Very well written.
DestinyIntertwined chapter 3 . 5/19/2009
loved this chapter! but just one question, will the gender of the doc ever be revealed or will it stay a mystery? just curious.
Twirl chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
I rather like the idea of tackling how he figured out who was who. Sounds very promising, I'm looking forwards to more.
Cranberries chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
XD

(is all Cranberries can say)